Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Here you go.....
M

Attachments

• maltesefalcon.jpg
    maltesefalcon.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 120
  • humphrey_bogart_sam_spade_the_maltese_falcon.png
    humphrey_bogart_sam_spade_the_maltese_falcon.png
    993.7 KB · Views: 132

LabRat 101

New in Town
get ready for an Akubra suggestion overload ... all of which will pretty much look nothing like his hat

I once saw a still frame from one of his movies that someone here put up where you could see the Stetson Sovereign markings ... wish I could find that pic again ... no idea where to look

if I desired to find a match to his hat I would start searching for a nice old hat with similar dimensions ... probably 5 1/2" crown with what looks like about a 2 1/2" brim and maybe a 2" or slightly less ribbon ... the hat was probably gray or some sort of taupe

as far as crease ... there are pictures of that as well floating around ... it is sort of a nice sloppy diamond with a deeply pressed back peak ... really great crease ... you could do that yourself

I've also seen pictures of him wearing what looks like a Stratoliner

Thanks for the info, this was a big help to get me started looking. The hunt is on.

Gort

New in Town
I visited the David Morgan shop here in Seattle. They carry a wide selection of Akubras. As I was trying a few on, the clerk told me that over time the hats "shrink a little" in hat size. has anyone found this to be the case? I'm between a 59 and 60, so trying to determine if I should use a hat stretcher with a 59, or go to a 60 and use padding under the headband.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I visited the David Morgan shop here in Seattle. They carry a wide selection of Akubras. As I was trying a few on, the clerk told me that over time the hats "shrink a little" in hat size. has anyone found this to be the case? I'm between a 59 and 60, so trying to determine if I should use a hat stretcher with a 59, or go to a 60 and use padding under the headband.

Almost everyone I know who has bought an Akubra hat has experienced this shrinkage

Strangely none of mine have shrunk at all after heavy hard wear.

I ordered my size ... they came fitting and stayed fitting.

When I ordered my first Akubra I was warned about this and ordered a size up .
I put some reduction tape under the sweat and it remains there

From that point on I've ordered my exact size and had no issues

My situation appears to be in the minority

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't say anything to them, but I reserve the right to believe they are being disrespectful. The things we do in public display our character, and I find a lack of respect for others off-putting.
That more or less sums up modern society. Children taught manners and respect from an early age grow up to be respectful themselves. It may seem trivial, but it's still important. For example, it's rare to see a parent encourage their offspring to give up their seat for an adult theses days, then again, the argument for wearing hats indoors is academic, about the only hats you see are baseball caps. Perhaps we should be debating whether it's ok to leave your cap in the reverse position when entering a building, or wear it peak forward as a mark of respect.

Gort

New in Town
Almost everyone I know who has bought an Akubra hat has experienced this shrinkage

Thanks, plus my apologies for not doing my research first. Apparently this question has been asked and answered ad nauseum here.

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
A method I use to clean the cloth sweats on my good (I know some will consider the term "good" inappropriate for a ball cap!) ball caps is to turn the sweat out and using an old toothbrush or some other soft brush, a Woolite or other good quality detergent and warm water. This usually works to get out the residual sweat stains and freshen it up without the risk of shrinkage. I do have a hat jack that will insure that on my old 100% wool early New Era caps.

By the way I tried the woolite and it did the trick. Had to do it three times in warm water (not hot) with a toothbrush... wash rinse repeat... and it came out nice and clean. Only problem I had was the piece inside the brim kinda deteriorated in the water.

By the way I tried the woolite and it did the trick. Had to do it three times in warm water (not hot) with a toothbrush... wash rinse repeat... and it came out nice and clean. Only problem I had was the piece inside the brim kinda deteriorated in the water.

Dan. ..it likely had just a cardboard stiffened in the bill....perhaps?

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up

If anything, my Akubra Coober Pedy has loosened up a bit. Either that or it has just taken on the shape of my head more than when it first arrived. My bean runs 23-3/8" so right between 7-3/8 and 7-1/2 (59cm - 60cm).

I ordered the 60cm and when I first got the hat it was still a bit tight. But over time it's fitting me fine. Haven't been in the rain much with it, but sweated plenty as it's a Sand color and I wore it a bunch this summer. Almost wore it today, but picked up the Stetson Gun Club "Aspen" in Silverbelly instead.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I've never felt disrespected by someone wearing a hat

seems like a whole lot of caring about a whole lot of nothing to me ... but I retain respect for those who feel disrespected by it

I take my hat off in restaurants and most places for that matter ... just the way I was brought up ... but if the guy at the next table is rockin' a top hat I wouldn't even think twice about it beyond admiring his style

I like the way you think. It's not 1945, but I still tend to take off my hat indoors... but not at home (unless I'm hot), and not in the general shopping and running errands category. I take off my hat in church, or if someone's going to say a prayer, or the pledge of allegiance, or if the U.S. flag is being presented or goes by in a parade.

In restaurants I have my own deciding factors. If it's a nice restaurant with coat/hat check then I take off my hat. If there's enough room on the seat/bench next to me, I take off my hat. But if I'm in a place where there is no safe spot to place my hat then I leave it on. I'm not about to risk damage or theft of what could be a rather expensive piece of hat-ware.

IME, it's most always the people wearing old ball caps that need a lesson in etiquette. Some never take off their caps... and some are quite worn and sweaty looking.

MrsFed and I went to a steak house in Medford when we were down there to see Art at VS. There was a large group of people with multiple tables pushed together to accommodate the crowd, and all the men (8-12?) were wearing straw/shantung western hats; none removed them in the restaurant... but where would they put them? On the floor? I was going to take off my Stetson Downs but, again, to set it where? Not in my lap unless I wanted steak, grease, salad dressing or the like on my hat. Not even a coat hook nearby in that place...

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Get the 60 and some padding. It will shrink.

Almost all of my hats are Akubra's. My true size is 59.4 and I always get size 60 and within 6 months or so of regular wear the leather sweat shrinks and I no longer needs the padding.

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
A lot of Americans still have hangups about the human body, so the "decency" laws here tend to dictate what some people will or won't wear here. :rolleyes:

No, in that context I was talking about the...err..."backside floss" underwear and swimwear worn primarily by young women who want to flaunt their "assets".

There is nothing wrong with us Gal's doing the "backside shuffle" but for some, the mere sight of things at a certain age of time can get a bit "saggy".....

Honestly some swim wear is super attractive without letting all the cows out to pasture....hahahahahahah!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace