Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Hi all, I'm a new member and I don't know much about hats... I'm looking for a hat like the one in the pic, not sure what kind of style it is. Any help is appreciated. I'm looking to spend around $50. Thanks! -Mike

Jackie-Greene-March-Tour-Photo-by-Jay-Blakesberg-copy-1.jpg

images

Seeing the texture could be a hemp fedora..........seems too rough for Palm Leaves or Wheat straw. Also VERY narrow sewn bands...........which would be consistent with use of hemp.
M

LabRat 101

New in Town
I was wondering what hat out there today would be the best "Bogart" hat one could get? Looking for as close to style, color, crease etc... What is the best hat to get (on the market today) if you wanted that "Bogart" feel?

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Advice please! What's the current thinking - is it gauche to wear a hat indoors?
I often wear a hat indoors.

I take it off when I feel it's appropriate to do so. And that changes with my mood and the context rather than the place I'm in.

For example, I'll wear a hat in a restaurant quite happily if I'm having a meal with my wife or a friend. But if I'm dining with a business associate or client I will remove my hat.

In my life things are a lot more casual than in the 'good old days'. I would not go out of my way to offend anyone but I really don't think too,any people care about what I'm wearing on my head. Or perhaps I just don't care about whether or not they care...?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I was wondering what hat out there today would be the best "Bogart" hat one could get? Looking for as close to style, color, crease etc... What is the best hat to get (on the market today) if you wanted that "Bogart" feel?
get ready for an Akubra suggestion overload ... all of which will pretty much look nothing like his hat

I once saw a still frame from one of his movies that someone here put up where you could see the Stetson Sovereign markings ... wish I could find that pic again ... no idea where to look

if I desired to find a match to his hat I would start searching for a nice old hat with similar dimensions ... probably 5 1/2" crown with what looks like about a 2 1/2" brim and maybe a 2" or slightly less ribbon ... the hat was probably gray or some sort of taupe

as far as crease ... there are pictures of that as well floating around ... it is sort of a nice sloppy diamond with a deeply pressed back peak ... really great crease ... you could do that yourself

I've also seen pictures of him wearing what looks like a Stratoliner

think for yourself and do as you wish

it's not 1945

Well, for my part, we should have some standards. I'm not too keen on seeing folks in restaurants with their hats on, for one thing.

get ready for an Akubra suggestion overload ... all of which will pretty much look nothing like his hat

I once saw a still frame from one of his movies that someone here put up where you could see the Stetson Sovereign markings ... wish I could find that pic again ... no idea where to look

if I desired to find a match to his hat I would start searching for a nice old hat with similar dimensions ... probably 5 1/2" crown with what looks like about a 2 1/2" brim and maybe a 2" or slightly less ribbon ... the hat was probably gray or some sort of taupe

as far as crease ... there are pictures of that as well floating around ... it is sort of a nice sloppy diamond with a deeply pressed back peak ... really great crease ... you could do that yourself

I've also seen pictures of him wearing what looks like a Stratoliner

I was thinking with my Swiss Cheese brain that he once did Borsalino Ads. However, a cursory GIS turns up this Resistol Ad

Picture3.jpg

Well, for my part, we should have some standards. I'm not too keen on seeing folks in restaurants with their hats on, for one thing.

I agree with you, Jim, though I don't give a whole lot of thought as to what others are doing with their headwear. It's more about what I learned of headwear etiquette from my maternal grandfather who would stop you in your tracks if he saw with any sort of headwear indoors. It just stuck with me and I remove mine indoors every where I can safely do so. Probably grocery stores and such being the exception.

there are things I won't do ... but in no way am I going to judge someone else for doing what I personally won't

I wouldn't say anything to them, but I reserve the right to believe they are being disrespectful. The things we do in public display our character, and I find a lack of respect for others off-putting.

I agree with you, Jim, though I don't give a whole lot of thought as to what others are doing with their headwear. It's more about what I learned of headwear etiquette from my maternal grandfather who would stop you in your tracks if he saw with any sort of headwear indoors. It just stuck with me and I remove mine indoors every where I can safely do so. Probably grocery stores and such being the exception.

For one thing, being an anal-retentive engineer-type, I like rules. I also believe that common mores and standards are good for a well-functioning society. There is no inherent virtue in only thinking of yourself and your needs when interacting with the public.

I think if people use common sense things generally are fine.

And I've seen people wear way worse things in a restaurant than a hat.

It comes down to respecting your surroundings.

Well, common sense often seems to be very uncommon. :) It has, however, likely always been that way. And I think the "do what you want" mantra which has taken hold on a good portion of society isn't something that fosters respect for others. Rather, it promotes selfishness and disrespect. Common mores are guardrails which keep society on track and help us live with one another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot