Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Happy to join the forum!!

So, my husband recently inherited this hat from his late father - and while this forum has been very helpful, I'm still a bit lost. I've learned a lot in the past few weeks, however! I understand the relationship with Biltmore and Miller and the history they've had. I believe I understand this hat to be a homburg fedora. My husband thought it was made of beaver fur, yet there isn't any markings to confirm this. The fur is quite thick and super soft. I've seen other people say they've owned or own a Miller/Biltmore, yet I've not really seen any pictures similar to what I've got (they always say Biltmore, without the Miller). Can anyone give me their opinion about this?
And thanks - I love your forum and I've gotta say, everyone here appears to be so nice and informative!

P.S. Don't be thrown off by my awesome pictures lol - I do this for a living :)

View attachment 58959

View attachment 58960

View attachment 58961
Hello and welcome. Try inverting the sweatband and see if there's anything written inside.

Jacqueline

New in Town
I wouldn't call it a Homburg, but a fedora with a curled brim. It's impossible to say anything about felt content from a picture, but I would guess that it's primary content is hare - which is better suited for longhair finishes than beaver. That's my two cents, but others will probably chime in with their views :)

I came across the words "curled brim" at one point in my studies... and I've also wondered if it was hare. Thank you for chiming in :)

Jacqueline

New in Town
I think there are some dedicated "Biltmore Hats" threads on the forum. Also that may be what Biltmore calls their "Peluche" finish. The Biltmore catalog on line will help you. You can also refer you back to older Biltmore catalogs PDF.

You are a genius! It really didn't dawn on me what the "peluche" meant...

WP_20161027_13_27_19_Raw__highres.jpg

In reference to the biltmore forums - yes I've read through these. I'm not sure how to go about finding anything really through the biltmore's website and/or catalogs..? Everything appears to be Biltmore - does it matter that it was made for Miller?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
You are a genius! It really didn't dawn on me what the "peluche" meant...

View attachment 59013

In reference to the biltmore forums - yes I've read through these. I'm not sure how to go about finding anything really through the biltmore's website and/or catalogs..? Everything appears to be Biltmore - does it matter that it was made for Miller?
Thank you and no it doesn't matter. What really matters is that its a Canadian Biltmore with a nice finish. Biltmores are only made in the States now. Biltmore made hats for other vendors. Millers was one of them. There are members here who kno alot more about Biltmore Hats, "peluche" finishes and Miller's Hats, then I. If you go on the Biltmore website and call their special order ph # you may be able to reach Erica and she could probably tell you more abt the hat.

Last edited:
It's fashion for heaven's sake. There are those with a passion for fashion who love clothes with all their pocketbook. These styles are mostly not my cup of tea, though I do rather love the brimmed hat with the zipper down the middle. I sometimes wonder to myself why anyone would be inspired to spend 5 dollars for an Akubra hat. But I'm not going to say that here. It's a wonderful world with all kinds of folks who find value in all kinds of different things.

Picture5.jpg

:p:p:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21