Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, so I just bought a new Federation 4 in Dark Brown, and after putting the bash in it, it appears to have become quite badly tapered. My other moonstone Federation 4 has not tapered at all in the year since I bought it, with the same bash. So I'm wondering if I've done something wrong. Pics below. View attachment 73768 View attachment 73769 View attachment 73770 View attachment 73771 View attachment 73772
Looks like one of the best Indy bashes I have seen on a Akubra Federation. If you head over to COW and look at the pictures of the screen used hat they have (truck sequence) yours looks fantastically close. As for Akubra quality I think they are fantastic, rugged hats. When you compare them to vintage, they don't compare. When you compare them to each other you will find really odd differences. But they are still fantastic, rugged hats.....

Throwing out an odd question: Has anyone specifically asked a vendor for a soft malleable Akubra? and have they delivered on this request? I know Hats direct has catered to lots of odd requests in the past.

Johnny

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Hello,

i'm reading about this documentary on Borsalino that came out last year. i'm trying to find a place where I could watch/download (either free or paid) but i'm having trouble finding one.
Do you have any idea ?

Thank you

ninman

One of the Regulars
What hat is the guy in the silhouette for this website wearing?

I'm assuming it's a Stetson Whippet, I just wanted confirmation. I'm considering buying one. I really want a properly old fashioned fedora, with a tall, untapered, crown, a nice thick ribbon, and a decent sized brim.

I figure the Whippet is probably the one that will meet those requirements.

Last edited:

ninman

One of the Regulars
Looks like one of the best Indy bashes I have seen on a Akubra Federation. If you head over to COW and look at the pictures of the screen used hat they have (truck sequence) yours looks fantastically close. As for Akubra quality I think they are fantastic, rugged hats. When you compare them to vintage, they don't compare. When you compare them to each other you will find really odd differences. But they are still fantastic, rugged hats.....

Throwing out an odd question: Has anyone specifically asked a vendor for a soft malleable Akubra? and have they delivered on this request? I know Hats direct has catered to lots of odd requests in the past.

Johnny

Thank you, that's really kind of you to say. I did bash it again, but honesty I don't think it made any difference. I realised it wasn't that the hat was tapered, the left and right side are parallel, it was just the angle I was looking at the hat from. Kind of stupid, but I am a little bit particular about it.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you, that's really kind of you to say. I did bash it again, but honesty I don't think it made any difference. I realised it wasn't that the hat was tapered, the left and right side are parallel, it was just the angle I was looking at the hat from. Kind of stupid, but I am a little bit particular about it.
I hear you. I was crazy obsessed with the Indy hat many many years ago. Truth be told I wasn't fully happy until I got my Adventurebilt. Looks fantastic and in ways I never would have noticed until I got one in my hands.
Wear your hat in good health my friend
Johnny

ninman

One of the Regulars
I hear you. I was crazy obsessed with the Indy hat many many years ago. Truth be told I wasn't fully happy until I got my Adventurebilt. Looks fantastic and in ways I never would have noticed until I got one in my hands.
Wear your hat in good health my friend
Johnny

You too man. There aren't enough hat wearers around anymore. We need to bring it back.

On a side note, I'm really looking to branch out into other styles of hat. I love the old fashioned hats with the tall crowns, thick ribbons and big brims.

Last edited:

I'm assuming it's a Stetson Whippet, I just wanted confirmation. I'm considering buying one. I really want a properly old fashioned fedora, with a tall, untapered, crown, a nice thick ribbon, and a decent sized brim.

There is really no way to tell what the logo guy is wearing. A Whippet will certainly meet your needs, but I would suggest you take some time and go through some of the many hat threads we have. You will see that there are countless styles over the years that would fill that need.

Start by going here. Take some time and familiarize yourself with some of the history and the styles, then you will be better equipped to find the hat that fills your need.

RJR

The modern Whippet isn't going to give you the FL profile.It may well take a custom but the modern Stetsonian and the Racine may be close.
Hat-Stetson Racine-Copper 4.jpg Hat-Stetson-Whippet-2.jpg
The ribbon on the Racine had to be changed.The pic on the right is a modern Whippet.

Captain O

One of the Regulars
The modern Whippet isn't going to give you the FL profile.It may well take a custom but the modern Stetsonian and the Racine may be close.
View attachment 73981 View attachment 73982
The ribbon on the Racine had to be changed.The pic on the right is a modern Whippet.

That is so nice! I can't wait to order my Whippet from Mike at Northwest Hats. After that, I'll have to order a brown Bowler for the stage. No "cheap" wool felt hats, either. I can't afford to keep replacing them. I need the best and a hat box to keep it in shape.

Latigo

Familiar Face
Hat Blocking Question: How much of a size increase or decrease can you get by blocking (re-blocking) a felt hat? One whole size or less? Can you increase a 6 7/8 to a 7 1/8?

latigo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic