Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
I admit I'm curious about how the Cattleman crown will look with the brim snapped down. I've seen some threads here with pictures of the brim snapped down and it looks great; but I think the OR looks fantastic either way. I've also read about some people who change the crown to a more traditional fedora-like crown, but I think I will like the variety presented by the Cattleman OR. I'll handle mine and see if it needs a little steam or an iron. I think it will take on a life of its own.

My hat was shipped parcel select, so I'm guessing delivery today (or tomorrow) might be optimistic even if USPS is saying expected delivery today. Oh well, first world problems... ;)
Looks like Tuesday is delivery day; USPS Parcel Select was delayed, on a 3-day weekend of all times! No sweat- I've enjoyed rotating a western and my Royal Deluxe Chatham. It will make the arrival of the OR that much sweeter.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
I like the idea of being ultra frugal and even austere, but I can't find it in me to keep it up. I'm not a fan of consumerism running amok, but I do enjoy some of my excesses. Sounds bad, but there it is.

After your statement of narrowing it down to three hats I'll have to reexamine my minimum of a dozen. To be honest, there is a nagging voice in the back of my mind that I've become too materialistic. I look at stacks of hat boxes etc., and I wonder if I wouldn't be happier with less? Not the place for an existential discussion, but I go from penciling out another custom hat order to wanting to unencumber myself of all this "stuff."
I think this is a legitimate quandary. I'm a minimalist, including with my hats. But there are different seasons and weather elements that justify different hats- as well as the plain old justification for a different look every now and again. That said, it is liberating when you find a hat you love to wear and you just wear it, like they did back in the days when a hat was simply part of one's everyday wardrobe- a tool if you will.

I did a quick count of my relatively austere "collection" (I wear each); 3 flat caps (2 Jonathan Richards and a Hanna Patch cap), 2 6X Stetson westerns (black and silverbelly), one Stetson Shantung, one Atwood palm leaf, one Panama straw Orvis-branded fedora (quite nice, all things considered), one Jonathan Richards Irish walking cap, Stetson Chatham Royal Deluxe, and one Stetson Open Road. My "problem" is a lack of variety outside of Stetson; so there's my justification for more! That said, Stetsons fit me, so maybe...

Last edited:
...#2: how many hats could you reduce your collection to and still have all your bases covered?
Not counting my flat caps, three. One fur felt (Akubra Campdraft) for average daily wear, one straw (Sunbody) to offer sun protection on extremely hot days, and one boonie hat (Tru-Spec) for those days when I need to keep the sun/rain off of my head but don't want to risk damaging either of the aforementioned hats. If I really had to I could probably whittle it down to just the Campdraft, but that's just crazy talk! :p

Not counting my flat caps, three. One fur felt (Akubra Campdraft) for average daily wear, one straw (Sunbody) to offer sun protection on extremely hot days, and one boonie hat (Tru-Spec) for those days when I need to keep the sun/rain off of my head but don't want to risk damaging either of the aforementioned hats. If I really had to I could probably whittle it down to just the Campdraft, but that's just crazy talk! :p

Just out of curiosity, what color Campdraft?

glider

A-List Customer
Levine is the only true hat store in the St Louis area and it's downtown. That is probably a very good thing. To early yet to buy a new straw hat and to late for another felt. I will be needing a couple new straws this spring.

John1988

New in Town
Hi guys can anyone tell me more about this hat? Like what type of hat it is and what year it was from. All I know it’s from ga Dunn & co London piccadilly circus oxford street

Attachments

• E20AD758-47B4-46D9-945A-D48FFA0BAEF7.jpeg
    E20AD758-47B4-46D9-945A-D48FFA0BAEF7.jpeg
    710.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 9B2D0471-00A4-4217-A33F-29833FD8B786.jpeg
    9B2D0471-00A4-4217-A33F-29833FD8B786.jpeg
    704.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 33CB218E-BED7-4F63-80B9-B4D83D617685.jpeg
    33CB218E-BED7-4F63-80B9-B4D83D617685.jpeg
    633.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 7579D67A-ACEC-47A0-9D99-B7BA2F3BB611.jpeg
    7579D67A-ACEC-47A0-9D99-B7BA2F3BB611.jpeg
    679.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 3B214260-E884-4F38-A37B-A11BABE50749.jpeg
    3B214260-E884-4F38-A37B-A11BABE50749.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
I like the idea of being ultra frugal and even austere, but I can't find it in me to keep it up. I'm not mountain bikes consumerism running amok, but I do enjoy some of my excesses. Sounds bad, but there it is.

After your statement of narrowing it down to three hats I'll have to reexamine my minimum of a dozen. To be honest, there is a nagging voice in the back of my mind that I've become too materialistic. I look at stacks of hat boxes etc., and I wonder if I wouldn't be happier with less? Not the place for an existential discussion, but I go from penciling out another custom hat order to wanting to unencumber myself of all this "stuff."
I fully understand and agree. I, have been cursed with the "collecters" gene. My wife for the life of her does not understand. I restored and collected old mountain bikes, amassing 28 at the peak. I built up a second bike for my wife and while she appreciated the gesture, asked why would I want a second bike as I already have one good one? I have doubts about my hats, even as they give me great joy, as some days I have difficulty choosing which to wear....if I only had two or three would not have that issue.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
I was wondering if anyone had a color accurate photo handy comparing side by side Winchester Pecan and Whiskey colors? I know these colors are very sensitive to lighting. I am trying to imagine what Whiskey would look compared to Pecan and trying to determine how similar they are. Thanks.

I was looking through the Stetson Fall 2018 catalog http://www.hat-co.com/perch//resources/f18-stetson-city.pdf

I came across the Whippet in Natural that looks nice to my eye. Does anyone have any experience with this hat (I don't know if it is new for 2018)?

37b35ad74affaa661a9aad82607f9276.jpg

I do wish the crown was higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is the open crown specification, on the hat? I'm just curious if you know on that. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I was wondering if anyone had a color accurate photo handy comparing side by side Winchester Pecan and Whiskey colors? I know these colors are very sensitive to lighting. I am trying to imagine what Whiskey would look compared to Pecan and trying to determine how similar they are. Thanks.

I don't have a Whiskey color, yet. My first custom from Mike Miller at NW Hats is in Pecan. This is a sunshine shot, it is darker slightly indoors.
NW Hats 1942 RB side 600x.jpg

Hi guys can anyone tell me more about this hat? Like what type of hat it is and what year it was from. All I know it’s from ga Dunn & co London piccadilly circus oxford street
Very nice, it looks to have some age. A little hard to tell from these photos. The sweat is nice. I would suggest our dedicated thread for all things British. Read, read, read. This place should be a wealth of information. The Great British Hat Makers thread.

You can find out a LOT about this lid fairly easily.
Do you have Google? If you do, search G.A. Dunn, and that will keep you quite busy just learning about the store, which will then lead to info about that great Hommie.

I'm not certain about the two numbers on the sweatband, but again, hopefully someone will know. Did you measure the opening?

UPDATE: I'm guessing that the lower number on the sweatband is the UK or US size, 6-7/8. If that's the case, it's not quite as valuable as you may wish. STILL a beaut.

ALSO there are two threads on GA Dunn & CO on the Lounge, where you will learn even MORE!

Last edited:

Barry-MI

New in Town
Hi, I'm new here so please be patient if I'm asking an old question. Which is a better quality, longer lasting, resistant to rain and sun hat, new 6x fur Stetson Open Road or Akubra Snowy River. I notice that the ad for the Open Road does not mention beaver, so what does the 6x for mean as I'm sure that a 10x Stetson straw hat contains no beaver.

John1988

New in Town
Do you have Google? If you do, search G.A. Dunn, and that will keep you quite busy just learning about the store, which will then lead to info about that great Hommie.

I'm not certain about the two numbers on the sweatband, but again, hopefully someone will know. Did you measure the opening?

UPDATE: I'm guessing that the lower number on the sweatband is the UK or US size, 6-7/8. If that's the case, it's not quite as valuable as you may wish. STILL a beaut.

ALSO there are two threads on GA Dunn & CO on the Lounge, where you will learn even MORE!
Thank you Ann don I haven’t sorry just trying to get more info about it I’ll do
Some research many thanks

John1988

New in Town

Thanks

John1988

New in Town

Where do I find the Therads to ga Dunn & co sorry ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy