Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Hi, I'm new here so please be patient if I'm asking an old question. Which is a better quality, longer lasting, resistant to rain and sun hat, new 6x fur Stetson Open Road or Akubra Snowy River. I notice that the ad for the Open Road does not mention beaver, so what does the 6x for mean as I'm sure that a 10x Stetson straw hat contains no beaver.

It's come up before but folks are here to help. If I were debating between the two hats mentioned, I would choose neither. I would look seriously at the Camp Draft from Akubra. It has dimensions similar to the OR of old and comes with an open crown one can shape as they choose. It's 100% fur, rabbit/hare, and is well liked around these parts.

No one knows what the fur content is in a modern Stetson 6X, probably little. I've handled them and they feel like cardboard and definitely not worth the cash. More expensive than the CD or Snowy River.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new here so please be patient if I'm asking an old question. Which is a better quality, longer lasting, resistant to rain and sun hat, new 6x fur Stetson Open Road or Akubra Snowy River. I notice that the ad for the Open Road does not mention beaver, so what does the 6x for mean as I'm sure that a 10x Stetson straw hat contains no beaver.

Ah yes, the "Xs" on hats. They don't mean anything. Weird, right? To be honest, all you can determine by the X count is the relative quality of a hat compared to hats made at the exact same time by the same company. Therefore, a Stetson 10X from the Fall 2018 catalog is of a relative higher quality than a Stetson 6X from the same catalog. And just to keep us confused, a 5X Beaver hat may have zero beaver fur felt in it as the manufacturer uses the term to designate finish/pouncing. In other hats/vintages the hats will have some beaver content. The manufacturers refuse to tell us exactly what all of the X counts mean and they have changed over the years so a 6X of today isn't the same as a 6X from years ago. In the end, those designations are of little worth except to confuse customers.

As to your rain durability question: while I can't say authoritatively, the consensus is that Akubra fur felt hats are superior at handling the weather. I suggest you read the Akubra Overload thread for lots of good information on them and their weather handling abilities.

Barry-MI

New in Town
It's come up before but folks are here to help. If I were debating between the two hats mentioned, I would choose neither. I would look seriously at the Camp Draft from Akubra. It has dimensions similar too the OR of old and comes with an open crown one can shape as they choose. It's 100% fur, rabbit/hare, and is well liked around these parts.

No one knows what the fur content is in a modern Stetson 6X, probably little. I've handled them and they feel like cardboard and definitely not worth the cash. More expensive than the CD or Snowy River.
Thank you for the response. I just don't know how to shape a hat and would probably screw it up irreversibly if I tried. Why don't you like the Snowy River, as it is also 100% rabbit/hare fur?

Barry-MI

New in Town
Ah yes, the "Xs" on hats. They don't mean anything. Weird, right? To be honest, all you can determine by the X count is the relative quality of a hat compared to hats made at the exact same time by the same company. Therefore, a Stetson 10X from the Fall 2018 catalog is of a relative higher quality than a Stetson 6X from the same catalog. And just to keep us confused, a 5X Beaver hat may have zero beaver fur felt in it as the manufacturer uses the term to designate finish/pouncing. In other hats/vintages the hats will have some beaver content. The manufacturers refuse to tell us exactly what all of the X counts mean and they have changed over the years so a 6X of today isn't the same as a 6X from years ago. In the end, those designations are of little worth except to confuse customers.

As to your rain durability question: while I can't say authoritatively, the consensus is that Akubra fur felt hats are superior at handling the weather. I suggest you read the Akubra Overload thread for lots of good information on them and their weather handling abilities.
Thank you for the response. It's sad that the advertised 6x doesn't mean anything. I was suspicious when the ad didn't mention beaver anywhere, but 6x fur maybe meaning 6% fur of some type, what is the other 94%, wool? other?

Thank you for the response. I just don't know how to shape a hat and would probably screw it up irreversibly if I tried. Why don't you like the Snowy River, as it is also 100% rabbit/hare fur?

The Snowy River vs Campdraft choice is one of style as construction is very similar. If you like the Snowy River style then it is a fine hat. As to screwing up the creasing of an open crown hat, don't worry about it. It can be intimidating at first, but it's simple and there are tutorials and videos to walk you through it. And if you make a mistake, you push it back to open crown and try again with no damage done.

The Campdraft is more of a city and country fedora whereas the Snowy River is more of a country/outback/outdoorsy hat.

The Stetson 6X Open Road is a 100% fur felt hat with a lot of stiffener added. They are what they are and you might really like the hat and it might serve you well for years. The style and construction of a hat is neither right nor wrong. Your getting informed and then you make a decision based on that and on your personal preferences, budget, uses, etc. I own both Akubras and modern Stetsons and they are all imperfect.

Thank you for the response. It's sad that the advertised 6x doesn't mean anything. I was suspicious when the ad didn't mention beaver anywhere, but 6x fur maybe meaning 6% fur of some type, what is the other 94%, wool? other?

The felt 6X Open Road is a 100% fur felt hat with zero wool. Stetson beaver hats are rare and very expensive.

Just to throw another wrench into the works, consider a customer too. The VS off the rack hat is close to your price range and is much better in quality. A 100% rabbit fur custom Gannon (when he gets back to work after his injury) starts at $175! A true custom that will be orders of magnitude better than a Stetson or an Akubra if you can wait a few months for the build. Don't be intimidated ordering a custom as they walk you through the entire process and make sure you get just the hat you want.

https://gannonhatcompany.com/

I was wondering if anyone had a color accurate photo handy comparing side by side Winchester Pecan and Whiskey colors? I know these colors are very sensitive to lighting. I am trying to imagine what Whiskey would look compared to Pecan and trying to determine how similar they are. Thanks.
I suggest you ask the custom hatter that you plan to use to mail you swatches of the two colours. I have one of each and they are very different. I have accumulated a complete set of Winchester beaver swatches and it is invaluable resource. If you make a deposit for a hat with Art at VS he will send you a complete set or at least he was doing that when I first ordered. But Mike at NW and Michael at Gannon also sent me swatches of the colours I was most interested in.

The felt 6X Open Road is a 100% fur felt hat with zero wool. Stetson beaver hats are rare and very expensive.

Just to throw another wrench into the works, consider a customer too. The VS off the rack hat is close to your price range and is much better in quality. A 100% rabbit fur custom Gannon (when he gets back to work after his injury) starts at $175! A true custom that will be orders of magnitude better than a Stetson or an Akubra if you can wait a few months for the build. Don't be intimidated ordering a custom as they walk you through the entire process and make sure you get just the hat you want.

https://gannonhatcompany.com/
I fully concur.....a custom hat by anyone of the master hatters here runs circles around any off the rack hat by Stetson et al.
Ordering is easy and a ton of fun. The hard part is the wait!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I read this, and my first thought was, "A guy from the 1980s walks into a mid-1800s saloon. The bartender asks, 'Why the long face?'" :p

r4q3s.jpg

haha

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Tbh, an absolute bare minimum is one hat, but that is not completely practical.

A gray hat would be for monochromatic outfits, and a brown hat for earth tones would cover all the bases, and any multi-color outfit could be covered by either one. Both brown and gray go well with a navy blazer, for example, although the gray better, probably.

My work hat would be either of the above that got to that worn-to-the-point-of-shabby.

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
Straws on the outside of my boater are faded compared to the hidden ones behind the sweatband which look brand new. How would you get the straws to look brand new?

Just out of curiosity, what color Campdraft?
I have three to choose from--Silverbelly, Taupe Fawn, and Bluegrass Green. I like all three colors, but I think the Taupe Fawn is the most versatile. Akubra's Silverbelly is neutral enough to pair with almost any color(s), but it's such a light color that it would be difficult to keep clean if it were my only hat and I wore it every day. And as much as I like the Bluegrass Green, I find it difficult to match with some colors and it's darker hue would probably be at least a bit warmer under the hot summer sun. So, Taupe Fawn--it's a nice medium brown that's neither too light nor too dark, and since I rarely wear "earth tones" it doesn't match anything I'd normally wear anyway. :D

I have three to choose from--Silverbelly, Taupe Fawn, and Bluegrass Green. I like all three colors, but I think the Taupe Fawn is the most versatile. Akubra's Silverbelly is neutral enough to pair with almost any color(s), but it's such a light color that it would be difficult to keep clean if it were my only hat and I wore it every day. And as much as I like the Bluegrass Green, I find it difficult to match with some colors and it's darker hue would probably be at least a bit warmer under the hot summer sun. So, Taupe Fawn--it's a nice medium brown that's neither too light nor too dark, and since I rarely wear "earth tones" it doesn't match anything I'd normally wear anyway. :D

I like your thinking. I have a Silverbelly and a Bluegrass Green and was thinking of either the taupe fawn or the cedar for the furture. Then again, the Moonstone looks interesting too.

See, I'm all about minimalism.

I like your thinking. I have a Silverbelly and a Bluegrass Green and was thinking of either the taupe fawn or the cedar for the furture. Then again, the Moonstone looks interesting too.

See, I'm all about minimalism.
I have a BGG and am awaiting a Silverbelly. I love my BGG but the colour is tough to match up with clothing so it does not get much head time. Good to hear the SB is really neutral as I am hoping it will be my goto transitional/seasonal hat between felt and straw seasons. Hesitant on the Fawn as I have so damn many brown hats!!!

I have a BGG and am awaiting a Silverbelly. I love my BGG but the colour is tough to match up with clothing so it does not get much head time. Good to hear the SB is really neutral as I am hoping it will be my goto transitional/seasonal hat between felt and straw seasons. Hesitant on the Fawn as I have so damn many brown hats!!!

What do you think of the moonstone? That mid gray is a very versatile color.

What do you think of the moonstone? That mid gray is a very versatile color.
I have only seen the David Morgan moonstone and not certain it is a match for the EA or HatsDirect version. The one I saw I liked a lot . It was in their Bushman model but it had vent holes which I hate, otherwise probably would have bought it.
My recollection is that it has strong blue tones to the light grey but still a grey hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy