Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

milandro

A-List Customer
I suppose there is no real answer to this.

You are supposed to wear it the way it feels comfortable for you.

There are fitting issue with any hat or any garment for that matter. Sizes are only a part of the story.

One would think that size 7 1/2 (60cm) , being a number , would always be the same but of course not.

The sizes vary fairly fundamentally between brands but also within models and within the same hat model type and size (in other words no two hats are exactly the same).

Then you have the shape of your head and the one of the hat ( more or less round, oval, long oval...).

Naturally there is the issue of the height of the crown , and two different models would have different heights and feel completely different.

So, I suppose we all have hats that are different, feel different fit differently . I certainly have. Also I have sizes ranging from 60 to 62. the use of cork or other devices to fit a hat that fits too loosely is very common but also the use of hat stretchers to slightly expand the hats which have shrunk, something which in some hats may happen at some point or periodically.

In other words @harrytemp , no, there is no answer to your problem, we all deal with it

Buying hats, at a distance means to find them to your liking (fitting wise) or not, but you need to deal with the problems which arise along the way

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Is this a question, a statement, a commentary on world affairs, or does it go just in the Jokes thread?
20231020_182244.jpg

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Another question for the experts, and it's about another Naked City television series hat (like my last one)....this time it's Detective Adam Flint's (Paul Burke) lid.

Can any of you sharp-eyed folks identify this hat by the inside label? I manages to get a couple of screenshots of the inside; and I threw in a couple of other shots so you can see the style...it kind of looks like a Dobbs, Champ, Knox or Stetson straw porkpie, but I'm not an expert and am only going by some vintage ads that I have. I was hoping that the inside label might help pinpoint the maker.

Attachments

• Screensnap00050.jpg
    Screensnap00050.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Screensnap00051.jpg
    Screensnap00051.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 48
  • Screensnap00052.jpg
    Screensnap00052.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Screensnap00053.jpg
    Screensnap00053.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 50

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
So I've been rotating hats because of different brims or color. I want to mix and match but lately it is becoming boring. So there is this hat I own that can be dry shaped easily. I try different styles creases when I'm bored with one. I know it sounds stupid but I get my joy wearing different styles than different color and brim.

I am going off the Stetson advertising with the Playboy hat and the various styles on the ad.
1940 Vintage ad for The Stetson Playboy hat`retro fashion Price     (050618) - Picture 1 of 1

Do any of you guys steam and crease your hats and call it a day? Or do you constantly change?

Not sure if constantly changing the crease will hurt the hat but I'm doing this on a grey hat that has become my daily hat and it is cheaper in price but the felt holds up very well.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Am I seeing this correctly - is there a cloth cover over the leather sweatband on this Mallory? It's a fascinating idea but I've never seen it anywhere before.

Or is it a cloth sweatband? It doesn't really look like one to me, but I'm wrong half the time anyway!

I also can't afford to purchase this hat to find out....

On Etsy.

B513ED09-4F92-4A98-8AD3-3C4405726852.png
DD01FE39-1510-4848-840E-03FD75319C60.png
6446C084-D393-4864-8566-B25A54AC2D25.png

Last edited:

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
Am I seeing this correctly - is there a cloth cover over the leather sweatband on this Mallory? It's a fascinating idea but I've never seen it anywhere before.

Or is it a cloth sweatband? It doesn't really look like one to me, but I'm wrong half the time anyway!

I also can't afford to purchase this hat to find out....

On Etsy.

View attachment 555716 View attachment 555717 View attachment 555718
I’m not sure but it could be a cloth nylon and an early version of roll up or fold up hat?

So I've been rotating hats because of different brims or color. I want to mix and match but lately it is becoming boring. So there is this hat I own that can be dry shaped easily. I try different styles creases when I'm bored with one. I know it sounds stupid but I get my joy wearing different styles than different color and brim.

I am going off the Stetson advertising with the Playboy hat and the various styles on the ad.
1940 Vintage ad for The Stetson Playboy hat`retro fashion Price     (050618) - Picture 1 of 1

Do any of you guys steam and crease your hats and call it a day? Or do you constantly change?

Not sure if constantly changing the crease will hurt the hat but I'm doing this on a grey hat that has become my daily hat and it is cheaper in price but the felt holds up very well.
It all depends on the felt. Vintage hats of good quality will often take a dry crease with ease. I love how men would wear their hats back in the day. Many of them looked plunked on the head with the crease ending up how it ended up with no great fussing involved. Modern felts tend to be more stiff ..much less malleable and not creasable without steam. When using steam the crease is more likely to take a set and eventually a shadow of the crease remains even when steamed back to open crown.

Certain felts like the FEPSA 95gram beaver can by dry creased every time it is worn and punched back to open crown at the end of the day. 115gr Ukraine beaver is another but those dress weight felts in the 150 to 160gr weight are more likely to need steam to crease. I own just a few modern mass produced hats such as Stetson and the lower end ones the crease is machine pressed and nigh impossible to remove. I have a few more expensive modern Stetsons that were purchased as open crown.....they can take a dry crease with a bit of work.

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
How liquidable are hats?

The reason I ask because I may be heading down this path of having what I call a collection. I started off with old cheap, new to like new hats from the 60’s that I no longer like. They are going to Goodwill or tossed in the trash because I don’t think collectors will show interest and the general public won’t care.

I am now looking to grab some vintage Borsalinos and Stetsons. I will of course wear some of them but let’s say I want to get rid of a hat to fund another then how easy would it be?

I have a collection of pens, lighters and watches so I was wondering if the world of hats parallel the former.

How liquidable are hats?

The reason I ask because I may be heading down this path of having what I call a collection. I started off with old cheap, new to like new hats from the 60’s that I no longer like. They are going to Goodwill or tossed in the trash because I don’t think collectors will show interest and the general public won’t care.

I am now looking to grab some vintage Borsalinos and Stetsons. I will of course wear some of them but let’s say I want to get rid of a hat to fund another then how easy would it be?

I have a collection of pens, lighters and watches so I was wondering if the world of hats parallel the former.
The answer as in most things is: it depends. Size, condition, age, desirability, asking price all play a part in determining a hats liquidity.

Ebay is still the best method of selling but their fees have risen a great deal over the years. Then factor in the shipping to get it to you and then the shipping to send to the buyer...they are all sunk costs and generally not recoverable.

Collecting hats, I suppose like most things, is a hard way to turn a profit. Did you buy the hat at a good or fair price or did you overpay? These factors have to be included.

So the liquidity question is answered by how much do you want for the hat? If you are expecting a return on your initial outlay then you may have to wait a long time for it to sell. If you are looking at getting 50% of your initial outlay after wearing the hat a few times then I would say you should be able to sell it more quickly. In selling it lower than your purchase price accept the loss knowing you received the enjoyment of wearing it and consider the money spent the cost of having a hobby.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
How liquidable are hats?

The classifieds here are a free service to loungers.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Recently I purchased an early 1940's Resistol fedora size 7.5 with the diamond shaped letter O. The hat is pristine with the original box. My question is what is the value of these. I paid 100.00 and feel that was a bargain. Any help would be appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran