Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
For a fixed button trolley, you should be able to unloop the cord from the button and affix that to a button on your jacket, as opposed to affixing the button to a spare button hole.

I have Mallorys that are both configurations.
Thanks Fruno, I appreciate the response.

I have an idea of what you mean, but I think this wind cord is not like that. I pulled the cord from around the crown to take the following photos, showing the cord attached on both ends to the hat. I can’t get a better photo but I did look closely and there is no end with a loop or any kind of slip knot - both ends are actually affixed to the hat.

I think I would have to cut the button off the bow in order to use this, which sounds like it shouldn’t be that way if it were meant to be a functioning wind cord.

So I’m thinking this cord is only meant to be cosmetic. Do you have Mallorys with purely cosmetic wind cords?

IMG_0583.jpeg

IMG_0584.jpeg

Thanks Fruno, I appreciate the response.

I have an idea of what you mean, but I think this wind cord is not like that. I pulled the cord from around the crown to take the following photos, showing the cord attached on both ends to the hat. I can’t get a better photo but I did look closely and there is no end with a loop or any kind of slip knot - both ends are actually affixed to the hat.

I think I would have to cut the button off the bow in order to use this, which sounds like it shouldn’t be that way if it were meant to be a functioning wind cord.

So I’m thinking this cord is only meant to be cosmetic. Do you have Mallorys with purely cosmetic wind cords?

View attachment 592830
View attachment 592831

I have some hats that are only decorative, not certain about Mallorys specifically.

You could always pull the cord down and make it a stampede string, LOL.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I have some hats that are only decorative, not certain about Mallorys specifically.

You could always pull the cord down and make it a stampede string, LOL.
As tight as this hat is, I’ll probably never need the wind cord anyway.

I have a Knox Twenty with a cosmetic wind cord - it’s just a piece of elastic that isn’t even attached to the hat but it does have the decorative Knox button.

Thanks again Fruno.

I have a Knox Twenty with a cosmetic wind cord - it’s just a piece of elastic that isn’t even attached to the hat but it does have the decorative Knox button.

Thanks again Fruno.
I have one of those decorative only Knox buttons sitting here on my desk. Can't remember where it came from or what I will do with it.....I don't throw anything away.

Thanks again Fruno.
I’ve had some wind cord buttons that have been entirely cosmetic. As the wind cord button is stitched to the hat.. and there is not even a cord. But I’ve had a few others where it does seem there is a full wind cord with the button stitched in place. I cant tell for sure if it is just for decorative purposes… or if the button was just tacked in place by the manufacturer to keep it in place through its travels and meant to be removed when purchased. Similar to what we often refer to as “basting” stitches or threads that keep a ribbon from getting squashed when stacked on a store Shelf.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I’ve had a few others where it does seem there is a full wind cord with the button stitched in place. I cant tell for sure if it is just for decorative purposes… or if the button was just tacked in place by the manufacturer to keep it in place through its travels and meant to be removed when purchased.
Thanks Joe, yes this was my initial thought as well so I cut the button away from the bow on my first Mallory 20. It works fine as a wind trolley but it doesn’t have that extra loop on the button to cinch it down when not in use. The only way to secure it is to wrap the cord around the crown and then double the button back under the cord. Problem with that is the button just dangles there limply doing all kinds of tricks in the wind. It looks sloppy and I can’t believe that was Mallorys intention, so I’m just gonna leave this one alone.

Thanks Joe, yes this was my initial thought as well so I cut the button away from the bow on my first Mallory 20. It works fine as a wind trolley but it doesn’t have that extra loop on the button to cinch it down when not in use. The only way to secure it is to wrap the cord around the crown and then double the button back under the cord. Problem with that is the button just dangles there limply doing all kinds of tricks in the wind. It looks sloppy and I can’t believe that was Mallorys intention, so I’m just gonna leave this one alone.
My Adam Executive that came last week has something similar. With stuff like that I like to leave as is on a vintage piece.

Snowman

Practically Family
Does anyone have any idea why my photos are loading to the site as attachments that must be clicked to view? They haven’t always done that; I’ve been able to upload them so that they are visible in the post. They have started loading as attachments since I got a new phone. Any idea what I can do to change this?

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does anyone have any idea why my photos are loading to the site as attachments that must be clicked to view? They haven’t always done that; I’ve been able to upload them so that they are visible in the post. They have started loading as attachments since I got a new phone. Any idea what I can do to change this?
It‘s the size of the picture file. I have the same problem.

I think after attaching.. you have to do the “insert“ function. The individual thumbnails should have a little button that says insert. Or if you attach several photos… there should be a button that says something like “Insert multiple” where you can select all or some to insert.

this way you can kind put the images where and in what order you want them in the post. For example…. All in a row… or text image text image. Ect.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Random Selection.

Not a question, just an observation.

Of the 40 or so hats I have, most stay in boxes and I pull one out to wear according to what's going on each day. I keep a handful that I wear more regularly on my hat rack. I tend to change a few of these out every few weeks. It struck me that maybe I have a good random selection process going on. Here's my current picture:
Gannon - 4
Stetson - 2
Phoenix - 1
Wolfbrae - 1
Busted - 1
T. Jones - 1

20240226_172208.jpg

Random Selection.

Not a question, just an observation.

Of the 40 or so hats I have, most stay in boxes and I pull one out to wear according to what's going on each day. I keep a handful that I wear more regularly on my hat rack. I tend to change a few of these out every few weeks. It struck me that maybe I have a good random selection process going on. Here's my current picture:
Gannon - 4
Stetson - 2
Phoenix - 1
Wolfbrae - 1
Busted - 1
T. Jones - 1

View attachment 594767
Quite the selection

Sokolva

New in Town
Hello! I recently found a Mexican Palm Straw hat at a store that fits me well and that I love for a great price. I am an artist and want to paint some designs on it to customize it. It will be acrylic paint, which is flexible and long lasting unless it gets soaking wet repeatedly. I wear my hats regularly and sometimes in rain and weather and would like to use a topcoat on the hat to protect it if possible. I have heard of a couple of options specific to hats such as Shellac, while I know of other options from painting such as Acrylic topcoat, but I’m unsure of how well this will hold up and how flexible they will be. Does anyone have any suggestions for a palm straw hat top coat or protective coating which will help protect the hat and the painted designs I add to it? Is shellac a good option, and if so, what brands do you recommend? If you have other suggestions I’d love to hear them. Would straw Hat Stiffener work, for example? Or is that just Shellac?

Thank you for the help! Attaching a picture I snapped of the hat for reference if that helps.
IMG_0833.jpeg

shopkin

New in Town
I'd worry about both acrylic paint and shellac They both dry very brittle and may crack when the straw flexes. Personally, I'd use thinned artist oils but it will be more difficult to get clear definition. Depends on the effect you want. For preservtion you can wipe on some boiled linseed oil after the paint dries. The linseed oil penetrates to the core but drys without leaving a shine or oily residue.

Last edited:

Sokolva

New in Town
I'd worry about both acrylic paint and shellac They both dry very brittle and may crack when the straw flexes. Personally, I'd use thinned artist oils but it will be more difficult to get clear definition. Depends on the effect you want. For preservtion you can wipe on some boiled linseed oil after the paint dries. The linseed oil penetrates to the core buy drys without leaving a shine or oily residue.
Thank you for the help! Linseed oil sounds like a good option, I’ll look into that and test it out.

davidd

New in Town
Actor Anthony Hopkins as Dr. van Helsing in the 1992 film, Bram Stoker's 'Dracula':

hopkins_van_helsing.jpg

A 2009 topic on the Fedora Lounge forum tentatively identifies this hat as a Herbert Johnson Poet, vaguely stating that "the Poet was offered in different brim widths."

Does anyone here have a more specific identification for the Hopkins as van Helsing hat? The brim looks wide to me, wider than that of a Poet. The ribbon is very wide as well, although the ribbon may have been swapped out.

I'm asking on behalf of a friend who is not a member here... yet; I'm encouraging him to sign up!

Thanx in advance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy