Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At home repro

16_sparrows

Vendor
Lauren Henline said:
30sdress2.jpg

Oh my, super cute! Would it be terribly rude of me to ask you to share the pattern you used? I have been finding it hard to find vintage hats that fit my big noggin'. I'm thinking making them myself is the way to go.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
It's a vintage Mccall one... but I don't think I've ever seen another one. I can add it to my "to do" list to make a copy of it. :)

decodoll

Practically Family
Very cute as usual, Lauren! Fabulous first hat! It looks familiar. I think I may have see reproductions of the pattern on ebay. You might take a look, Sparrow. :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
ditto on it being very cute! even those shoes are adorable!:eusa_clap I also noticed the background to the picture went perfect with the whole outfit :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think this is my favorite day dress pattern -- it's Simplicity 3688, from about 1941. My copy was kind of beat up when I got it, and the instruction sheet was in shreds -- but I think the result was worth the extra effort it took to put it back together!

dress3.jpg

It's a basic six-gore skirt, and I think the detail I like the most is the little triangular pockets that are set into the front skirt seams -- just big enough for a hankie.

The fabric is a crisp percale cotton with a tiny cherry print -- got it at Wal-Mart for $2 a yard. Once I got the instruction sheet sorted out, it was an easy project to sew -- finished it in a weekend! I've since made two more dresses off the same pattern in different fabrics, and they've become favorites for work.

Rosie

One Too Many
Wonderful Ladies

To both Lizzie and Lauren, those dresses are great :eusa_clap . Love the hat too, so nice. I've been buying lots of fabric lately but sadly, I'm still working on the dress I was supposed to wear for Mother's Day :rolleyes: As soon as I'm finished, (maybe 2007-8?):p , I'll post some pics.

16_sparrows

Vendor
Thanks for the link Lauren Henline! I didn't know about that place - I feel like a kid in a candy store!

Wonderful dress LizzieMaine!

Rosie

One Too Many
I need a bit of help

I'm recreating this dress (it's #4 on my list):

bordered%20fabric%20circle.jpg

Not form pattern.

I purchased a fabric very similar to the one in front, it has a border along the bottom. Now here is the problem, I've made circle dresses and skirts before. I usually make it by cutting two half circles and then sewing them together. If I do that with this fabric I will be cutting out some of the border while making the half circle. How can I create a circle skirt without tampering with the border so that it all falls neatly like in this picture? Should I just pleat it around the waist so that the fabric falls like a circle without me actually doing any cutting? I hope I'm being clear with my description. Thanks in advance.

decodoll

Practically Family
It looks like that dress has a gathered skirt rather than a circle skirt. The skirt would be a big rectangular panel gathered into the top. This way your border pattern will stay intact. :)

edit: oops! Should read everything and look at links before answering! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael