Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At home repro

Viola

Call Me a Cab
colleency said:
I'm so glad you like it! It's Vintage Vogue 2671. I found the Dotted Swiss at Mike's downtown for $2 a yard, and I dyed it blue.

You dyed it yourself? How'd you do it? Do you have a special vat or something? Unless its a secret recipe of course - I just love it so much.

colleency

One of the Regulars
Thank you all for the kind words!

Viola, the dotted Swiss is 100% cotton, so it's very easy to dye.

I simply added about 1/2 a container of liquid Royal Blue Rit to a sinkful of VERY hot water. I think I added a couple of tablespoons of vinegar, but I don't remember. I did what it said on the package. I kept the fabric/water in motion by swishing it around with rubber gloves for about 1/2 hour. Then I rinsed it until the water ran clean. Afterwards, I scrubbed the sink out with a bit of bleach. It was much easier than I thought it would be.

colleency

One of the Regulars
Lauren Henline said:
Wait, real dotted swiss? 2 bucks a yard? Where is this Mike's? I may need to pick some up for regencies...

I *think* it's real dotted Swiss. It's got tiny squares woven into the fabric that puff up. It's not applied or anything.

Now I'm concerned that I told you the wrong price. I'm positive it was no more than $5 a yard, but that's a big difference. Mike's has linens and wools for $5-$6 a yard, and a lot of their cottons are $2 a yard, so that may be why $2 is in my head. Half the time I forget to ask, because their prices are so good.

You could call tomorrow and ask if they have any left and the price:

Mike's hours are:
Monday to Friday, 9:30 - 4:30
Saturday, 9:30 - 4:00
Sunday, closed

Address: 821 South Wall Street, Los Angeles
Phone: 213-624-3038

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Sure, if you wanna :) I'd like to check the place out anyway, but I might not do it until later in the summer if they're out of it.

The last time I was at the silk and wool place near the corner of 9th and maple they had a sheer dotted swiss for like 7 bucks a yard, I think...

We should try to coordinate a Garment District outing when some of you are in town for the Queen Mary. I know I'm off topic, but would anyone be interested in doing that on Friday or Monday?

decodoll

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
Woop! Gamble House detour... :)
If I get a chance to go, you want me to pick you up some, Decodoll?

That would be great, Lauren! Thanks!! Real dotted swiss around here is $90/yard. Even the imitation dotted swiss that I've used in the past is more than $2 or $5 a yard.

I would love to do a fabric shopping trip around the QM. Just let me know what everyone plans to do, and I'll work out my flight arrangements around it. :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Okie dokie. PM me with how much you want. I'm not sure if I will have time this time going up (depends on if they still have it or not...), but I'll most likely be going up within the next few months anyways :)

colleency

One of the Regulars
Lauren, if you don't make it this weekend, I'll try to remember to give a shout out the next time I go. I seem to make it there about once a month.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the info on the dye, colleency. The dress came out really well, I love it. And I may even have to summon up the courage to dye something of my own.

I know my grandmother coffee-dyed lots of stuff, but I'm just learning to sew and am a complete newb at all things involving making/altering clothes. Your photos are an inspiration, though!

colleency

One of the Regulars
Just talked to Mike's Fabrics. They have several yards of the Dotted Swiss left, and it is $2 per yard. They were willing to put it in the back for me if I could come get it today or tomorrow, but I'm at work during the hours they're open.

So Lauren, if you are able to make it there on Saturday, they will very probably have it still.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viola said:
Thanks for the info on the dye, colleency. The dress came out really well, I love it. And I may even have to summon up the courage to dye something of my own.

I know my grandmother coffee-dyed lots of stuff, but I'm just learning to sew and am a complete newb at all things involving making/altering clothes. Your photos are an inspiration, though!

I am very unskilled when it comes to making real clothing (I'm ok at making costumes for myself but nothing that needs to stand up to daily wear and tear) and I can tell you that dyeing clothing is very easy! I have tons of vintage slips that I've dyed to match certain outfits. Much more economically feasible than going to ebay and spending $15 on a red slip!

colleency

One of the Regulars
Lauren Henline said:
Woop! Are you going to the Gamble House, colleency?

It doesn't look like it. I adore the Gamble House, but I'm meeting with the two people who are tango dancing for us in a show we're doing this August. They live an hour or so away, and don't make it here that often, so I couldn't reschedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick