Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Australia" Film Hats

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
What a disappointing response from Akubra.:mad: Heaven forbid they produce a series of new hats that don't live up to the standard set by Crocodile Dundees lid.:eusa_doh: I realize we are just a group of hat nuts but I can't help but think Akubra buyers of all types- and those new to Akubra lids- would buy one of the movie inspired hats. I hope they rethink the idea at some point.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Well it may be up to people like Ron to take hats from Akubra and customize them...You can only get the Federation from Ron...so why not some other specials...but it may need to be a place that does custom jobs on an Akubra...Like maybe a moss green, bound edge Fed?...:D :D :D

I wonder if we can get a list of the hats they did supply?...

carter

I'll Lock Up
Consider this.

Even if Akubra doesn't produce a line of hats from the film, my guess is that one of the vendors in OZ could tell us what current models most closely resemble a particular hat(s) worn in the film. With that knowledge in hand, at the current exchange rate, buy one or more of the hats recommended. Using the Akubra as a base, one of our custom hatters could probably do a very accurate rendition of the hat from the film.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Colby Jack said:
Well it may be up to people like Ron to take hats from Akubra and customize them...
I wonder if we can get a list of the hats they did supply?...

Could be a good idea, only it sounds like they didn't supply standard hats, per their statement - they supplied them open crown, and perhaps not to the specifications of any model in their line:

Please appreciate that most of these hats were manufactured based on old recipes and blocks and whilst a must for those passionate about hats probably not viable for us as a batch manufacturer.

What I find interesting in the reply from Akubra's secretary is the part about "old recipes", not just blocks. Perhaps meaning Heritage quality? Or more likely something beyond that - maybe with beaver? Anyone know whether Akubra is likely to have employed any materials but rabbit and hare at any time in the past?

In any event, it sort of sounds like he is saying that these were effectively custom-made hats, later creased and shaped by the costumers.

- Bill

carter

I'll Lock Up
I received the following from Ron at HatsDirect this morning.

"Re the movie hats, Akubra made all the hats which were then pushed through R M Williams who have a license deal with the movie. We had a chat to the production manager at Akubra who looked after the original order, he advised none of the hats except for the Sombrero worn by some of the other cast were stock standard hats. All were re-trimmed or modified by the costume department who specified the look they wanted.

Maybe keep an eye on their [Akubra's] web site for announcements, a bit slow off the mark though given the movie is out.

Nicole's grey hat is an open crown, however it is hard to judge which one, it does look a little like the Federation 4 block but could not be as we had to virtually brush the dust off those blocks when we started making the new style. It has little taper so could be the Campdraft block... I will be seeing the movie again just to determine what blocks are used on what hats as we are being inundated with requests!
"

So, it seems they are getting plenty of requests for hats like those worn in the film. It'll be interesting to see what information Ron has after seeing the film again.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Hopefully the fact they have now "discovered" the Lounge might help in the Akubra ideas department. :eek:fftopic: There's a great Job! R&D Manager Akubra. You'd have to take the new stock out all the time - you know to try it out for scientific purposes! lol

It would be like Dracula in charge of a blood bank!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Akubra makes a lot of hats that aren't listed on their website. The Fed is one of them. It would be great if they had a custom department (kinda like Smith & Wesson) It would be great if they had a catalog or gallery site to high light all the wonderful hats they've made over the years...:eusa_clap

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
handlebar bart said:
What a disappointing response from Akubra.:mad: Heaven forbid they produce a series of new hats that don't live up to the standard set by Crocodile Dundees lid.:eusa_doh: I realize we are just a group of hat nuts but I can't help but think Akubra buyers of all types- and those new to Akubra lids- would buy one of the movie inspired hats. I hope they rethink the idea at some point.
The problem is that whatever the potential demand, they'd have to tool up for it and take away mfg capacity from their steady sellers - which aren't based off old designs, materials, or blockings.

Sometimes it's not a matter of too little market, but a market the industry can't meet because it has moved on to something else. They won't move back until that something else stops selling.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
The problem is that whatever the potential demand, they'd have to tool up for it and take away mfg capacity from their steady sellers - which aren't based off old designs, materials, or blockings.

Sometimes it's not a matter of too little market, but a market the industry can't meet because it has moved on to something else. They won't move back until that something else stops selling.
Fletch, That's an excellent point.

In an earlier post, Ron from HatsDirect stated, "It does look a little like the Federation 4 block but could not be as we had to virtually brush the dust off those blocks when we started making the new style."

It's not that the blocks do not exist. They do and old blocks were used for the Fed IV. We don't know regarding the flange. Believe me, HATCO has more blocks than Carter has pills (as my grandmother was wont to say). AKUBRA does as well. I imagine every major hat manufacturer on the globe does.

The good news is that these old blocks and flanges do exist. The question is when, if ever, they will be used again.

Custom hatters have some very old blocks that are seldom seen in retail these days. Recently, Jimmy Pierce showed me a set of Western Blocks that he just uses for straws. Beautiful.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I saw the film last night and was utterly blown away.

In all sincerity I have not seen a film I liked as much as this one, since 2004 - The Aviator.
That film stood at the top of my list for four years and is finally having some competition.

My goodness. As an amatuer filmmaker, the camera work in this film made me really, really envious. What a vision...

Great performances. I was impressed by everyone in that film, particularly the child though - it's hard to find a child actor as competent as that. Real swell kid.

I expect several Academy Awards for this film, and if I'm wrong in expecting that, I will be very angry.

I was also really satisfied by the justice that the film did to the continent - over here in the U.S. we get alot of dorky cliche and general lack of knowledge regarding Aussieland and it's a bit unsettling for such a lover of the country as me. I was really satisifed to see the well-deserved glory that movie brought out.

The hats drove me absolutely nuts. It was like being a candy store without a cent to spend.

Jerekson

One Too Many
As a note - does anyone know where I can find a gunbelt like the one the Drover wears? Quite a good design.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:

Fletch FWIW someone in the industry repeated your comment to me virtually verbatim (as to the reason why the hats are not available) the other day.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Is this just a hat thread? Any pictures of Ms Kidman's riding boots? Maybe over in the "adventure gear" section?

I have it "from a reliable source" that, Dehner, made her boots, for the movie. Two for Ms Kidman, and two for her stunt-double.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Jerekson said:
I saw the film last night and was utterly blown away.

My goodness. As an amatuer filmmaker, the camera work in this film made me really, really envious. What a vision...

I haven't seen anything but the previews yet. But, from what I've seen, the key is, "location, location, location." You go to a location like that and you can't miss, no matter what direction the camera is pointed. I'm sure that as impressive as it is, it can't compare to actually being there.

(Adding a remote location in Australia to my Bucket List)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
cookie said:
Fletch FWIW someone in the industry repeated your comment to me virtually verbatim (as to the reason why the hats are not available) the other day.
Be thankful hats like the Federation or Stylemaster are being made at all, then. The day may not be far off when no one can buy anything unless almost everybody wants it.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
Be thankful hats like the Federation or Stylemaster are being made at all, then. The day may not be far off when no one can buy anything unless almost everybody wants it.
BINGO! Buy that man a cocktail!

If folks want a particular style or felt color, they must create demand. If you want something, make your desire known. Contact HatsDirect, Akubra, etc. if you want something not currently available. With enough requests, it may come to fruition.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
But don't you think there are enough "extra" felts during production, that they could actually bring on additional people or person to make custom jobs?[huh] I know I'm asking a lot from a major manufacturer...but it's those little things that make the difference. Just think if Hatco would respond to something like that...I bet true Whippets and Strats would sell really well...

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lounger: a person who will attend a film simply to enjoy the hats...and the caps, if any, and the costumes....and possibly the actors. We are a special breed. I will see this film for the hats alone...but on DVD.;)

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails