Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Australia" Film Hats

fatwoul

Practically Family
I feel like a newbie!

I'm kinda liking one of Ms Kidman's hats in "Australia". I don't have to feel too transvestite about it, because it is a bloke's hat:

Kidman.jpg

Do we know anything about this? I'm not big on all the bushman style akubras, so is this one of them? The bash is deliciously exaggerated. Dunno if any of you have seen the movie (I haven't) or the trailers, but there is a front shot of the hat too, and it looks even better, IMO.

EDIT: thanks for moving this to the right place, whoever it was.

I just saw the movie last night & that was a nice lid. I thought Drover gave her that hat as it was not one of her lady hats but don't recall. It was cool seeing Clancy from The Man From Snowy River as the drunk accountant. That hat he wore was sort of like the one in Snowy River but straw.
I came home & re-watched that & Return to Snowy River. Return definitely had the better hats overall, IMHO... gtd

RBH

Bartender
fatwoul said:
I'm kinda liking one of Ms Kidman's hats in "Australia". I don't have to feel too transvestite about it, because it is a bloke's hat:

Kidman.jpg

Do we know anything about this? I'm not big on all the bushman style akubras, so is this one of them? The bash is deliciously exaggerated. Dunno if any of you have seen the movie (I haven't) or the trailers, but there is a front shot of the hat too, and it looks even better, IMO.

Fats, the hat is a 'Squatter', check out this site for a little info and 'The Faraway Downs' fedora.

http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/australia/

Swagman

New in Town
Kidman had a range of hats in the movie. The only hat I remember the Drover giving her was the burnt remains of the straw hat she had at the beginning of the movie. Not sure I'd like that rolled brim of the Drover's hat during the wet in the Kimberley. Seems like it would hold water like a bucket.

More shots of that hat.

au_fed024.jpg

au_fed0156.jpg

fatwoul

Practically Family
RBH said:
Fats, the hat is a 'Squatter', check out this site for a little info and 'The Faraway Downs' fedora.

http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/australia/

Thanks Rusty. Good to see I'm not alone.

However...

The Squatter they are offering doesn't look much like Kidman's hat. IMO, it's almost akin to those pale comparison Indy hats places offer.

Maybe it would look different if it was bashed more accurately, but as shown on the RMWilliams site, and on Hats Direct, the Squatter just doesn't look right.

RBH

Bartender
fatwoul said:
Thanks Rusty. Good to see I'm not alone.

However...

The Squatter they are offering doesn't look much like Kidman's hat. IMO, it's almost akin to those pale comparison Indy hats places offer.

Maybe it would look different if it was bashed more accurately, but as shown on the RMWilliams site, and on Hats Direct, the Squatter just doesn't look right.
From what I know the Squatter in the film is 'more' like the vintage Squatter. also it has a wider ribbon on it.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
It looks to me that Kidmans hat must have a much taller unblocked crown than the Squatter and a wider ribbon. I am still digging that hat alot. You could get close to the look with the Squatter, but I'm afraid the crown would end up too low for my liking.[huh]

Tone

A-List Customer
Swagman said:

Those are two different hats.

As for the Squatter being way too short, I don't think I've seen one yet that looks like it's too short. Too short for what? A 6" Indy crown? lol

There have been some that show up looking shorter with a pork-pie crease set in, but the open crowned versions have never looked too short. They actually look to be in a very nice balance between crown and brim. Maybe seeing them in that telescope/pork-pie ish dent against the 3" brim all the time makes them look too short to some.
Open crowned, however; they're not so short that they look too short. They look very well balanced for a variety of styles.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Tone said:

As for the Squatter being way too short, I don't think I've seen one yet that looks like it's too short. Too short for what? A 6" Indy crown? lol

There have been some that show up looking shorter with a pork-pie crease set in, but the open crowned versions have never looked too short. They actually look to be in a very nice balance between crown and brim. Maybe seeing them in that telescope/pork-pie ish dent against the 3" brim all the time makes them look too short to some.
Open crowned, however; they're not so short that they look too short. They look very well balanced for a variety of styles.

The Squatter is only 5 1/4" open crown and that isn't a lot of crown to work with, especially considering the apparent depth of the bash. The reference was made to the grey hat in the close up photo.

Tone

A-List Customer
Hmm. I don't know that the depth of the bash can be determined based on that particular close-up; if you're referring to the section of the top pinch that runs "visually" down into the crown for only 1/4" inch or so. Looking at how the side arcs it doesn't appear to be as deep as that pinch angle might suggest.

There's quite a bit that can be done with a 5 1/4" crown actually - including a center dent that, while not super deep, looks great! (This hat is not center dented, however.) But FDM and Chuck have some Squatters in that style that look fantastic! Both from different stores, too.

Yes, I did not mean to jump on anyone who likes to put those deep diamond dents into a taller hat to shorten the crown height, either. But the Squatter's verbal wrap for being too short is often different than how it looks on people's heads.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Tone said:
Hmm. I don't know that the depth of the bash can be determined based on that particular close-up; if you're referring to the section of the top pinch that runs "visually" down into the crown for only 1/4" inch or so. Looking at how the side arcs it doesn't appear to be as deep as that pinch angle might suggest.

There's quite a bit that can be done with a 5 1/4" crown actually - including a center dent that, while not super deep, looks great! (This hat is not center dented, however.) But FDM and Chuck have some Squatters in that style that look fantastic! Both from different stores, too.

Yes, I did not mean to jump on anyone who likes to put those deep diamond dents into a taller hat to shorten the crown height, either. But the Squatter's verbal wrap for being too short is often different than how it looks on people's heads.

lol lol Maybe I wasn't clear with my point. I'm talking about recreating the grey hat that is displayed in the closeup above. I don't have any personal problems with the Squatter hat, but in comparison to the Kidman hat the ribbon is narrower, it has a bound edge that Kidmans doesn't, and it seems to me a 5 1/4 open brim won't create that same look as Kidmans hat. But that is just my opinion and I feel no need to sway anyone, just throwing my opinion into the pot.

RBH

Bartender
maybe the answer....

David Morgan says its a Squatter, I knew I had read that somewhere but had forgotten where.

http://www.akubra-usa.com/ak_akubra_faqs.html

Look toward the bottom of the page where this question is ask.

Which Akubra Hats were provided for the movie Australia?
Nicole Kidman wears several hats, including the Squatter. Hugh Jackman’s hat was custom made with a pencil roll brim. Many Aussie Slouch Hats were worn in the scenes depicting Australian troops. Snowy River and Stockman hats take their parts among outback shapes appearing in droving scenes. The Sydney Fedora is among other Akubra hats provided for city scenes.

Swagman

New in Town
Tone said:

Good eye. You could be the continuity guy on the set. :) You'll note that the other dress is the same. In the timeline of the movie, it is after the fire has destroyed all her other clothes so unless she was carrying the other hat in her saddle.....

There were a lot of hats for the character. Some I don't even think made it to the final cut. Here's a range of them.
kidmanhats.jpg

And my favorite
darwinhat.jpg

Tone

A-List Customer
Yep, it's all there on page one of this very thread. Looks like there's been a lot of interest in that hat since the movie's release based on the addition to that faq sheet.

Indycop, I know what you mean. There's something unique in the hat's finish that looks like the old Federation IIIs. That specifically "Federation" version of Imperial felt characteristic.

Tone

A-List Customer
WOW that's a lot of hats! :eek:

Swagman said:
Good eye. You could be the continuity guy on the set. :) You'll note that the other dress is the same. In the timeline of the movie, it is after the fire has destroyed all her other clothes so unless she was carrying the other hat in her saddle.....

There were a lot of hats for the character. Some I don't even think made it to the final cut. Here's a range of them.
kidmanhats.jpg

And my favorite
darwinhat.jpg

Great collage of her varying hats, Swagman! :eusa_clap Man, they didn't use a lot of Akubras in this one; they used a ton.

For as many great hats that are in this film I cannot get the Mrs. interest to see it. :eusa_doh:

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Tone said:
...the Squatter's verbal wrap for being too short is often different than how it looks on people's heads.

As it turns out, not all Squatters are created equal. It depends where you buy it. The David Morgan version, for example, has a higher and fuller crown compared to the direct Australian imports I've seen. I have held one on my hand, and the brim to crown ratio was a bit off. I'd say about a 3 inch or more brim to about a 5 inch open crown! I've only recently discovered the vendor related variations. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails