Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Australia" Film Hats

Swagman

New in Town
slouch error

Found this on a site that points out errors in movies

"Factual error: The Australian Army slouch hats worn in the film show a folded cotton puggaree. An unfolded felt puggaree was replaced by the folded cotton puggaree in 1942, mostly mid to late 1942. The soldiers are shown wearing the folded cotton puggarees in late 1941 and February 1942."

022.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"End of an Era"

The End of an Era at Akubra Hats

An era in the history of Akubra is about to come to an end, with Stephen Keir Snr, managing director stepping down from that role on New Years Eve and his son Stephen Jnr taking over the next day. Stephen Snr has just turned 70 and will remain on as chairman of the board and be in and out of the office keeping an eye on the company he has dedicated a lifetime to. Akubra has been under the leadership of a Stephen Keir since the year 1905!

Three years earlier Stephen Keir No 1, a hatter, came to Australia from
England and joined Benjamin Dunkerley who had founded the company.
Stephen married Dunkerley’s daughter Ada and soon after became general
manager. Later when Dunkerley died, ownership of Akubra was transferred
to his son-in-law. Stephen Keir No 1 retired in 1952, and Stephen No 2 took over. Stephen No 3 took over in 1980, and it is he who at 70 years of age has just retired. Stephen No 4, age 38, is now managing Akubra.Stephen No 5, age 11, has no idea what he wants to do when he comes of age... with ideas of a fireman or professional
soccer player on his mind, but I don’t think anyone would be surprised if he followed the family tradition!

During the past 100 years Akubra has witnessed many changes... hats were once sent out as parcels on passenger trains, now everything goes by road from their Kempsey factory in Northern NSW, and when Australia’s wild rabbit population was brought under control by the Calici virus and thesupply of skins dried up, Akubra had to look overseas to source the precious felt that creates one of Australia’s Icons. Now Akubra hats aremade from a blend of Australian skins and fur from rabbit farms in France & Belgium. In 2001 Akubra became one of only six
Australian companies to be awarded a Centenary of Federation star along with BHP, Qantas, Fosters, Hills Hoists
and Holden. (its a car Joyce!)

The new boss says it will be “steady as she goes”... keeping Akubra an internationally recognised brand name and an Australian icon. Greg Norman, the late Steve Irwin, Pam Burridge, Australian Olympians, Lee Kernaghan (an Australian Country and Western singer) all wear Akubra. The top 5 sellers of Akubra Hats are Cattleman from Snowy River, Pastoralist, & Coober Pedy Miners (Opals) . Akubra Hats last so long you’ll probably only need two in a life time, but if your ‘work Akubra’ or ‘going out Akubra’ is getting a little worn around the edges, why not treat yourself to a new Akubra for the New Year.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for posting that, Binkie. It's fascinating to learn that one family has been managing Akubra for over a century and that Stephen has been the given name of each Managing Director. There is something to be said for continuity.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Statesman rabbit fur hat (pics)

Just saw the flick, and liked it. This my doggy walking garb and I love this beat up old Aussie hat of mine (about 10 years old now and has been in the sea, rivers, used for shaving..etc) and just keeps running. (click to enlarge pics).
Saw a second hand snowy river for sale in Portland, OR, for $15 and should have just grabbed it, oh well.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Factual error Number 2

Swagman said:
Found this on a site that points out errors in movies

"Factual error: The Australian Army slouch hats worn in the film show a folded cotton puggaree. An unfolded felt puggaree was replaced by the folded cotton puggaree in 1942, mostly mid to late 1942. The soldiers are shown wearing the folded cotton puggarees in late 1941 and February 1942."

022.jpg

No one used a modern toothbrush like that in 1941!

Blackjack

One Too Many
It's been my experience that even if a company doesn't make a certain product in mass, nothing talks like money and if your willing to pay, they will play. I've had hardware and drum related things made by several companies that "don't make that" only because I was willing to pay. Contact the company, tell them your making an independent film (lie!) and tell them exactaly what you want. My guess is if you'll pay for it, they will make it for you. There are also a number of WWII re-enactor sites that "age" hats really well, (very common in the cowboy action shooting folks) for not a lot of money.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
hat worn by Hugh Jackman in "Australia"??

This may have been mentioned before, but I've only just joined FL. Can anyone tell me the hat Hugh Jackman wore as "Drover" in this film?

Goose.

Practically Family
chanteuseCarey said:
This may have been mentioned before, but I've only just joined FL. Can anyone tell me the hat Hugh Jackman wore as "Drover" in this film?
Haven't seen the flick yet. Thinking it's toooo long for my short attention span.
But, thought the same about "Gangs of New York" and it turned out to be a movie I very much liked. So maybe I'll give "Australia" a shot.

Akubra made 450 hats for the movie.

Source: http://www.akubra.com.au/News.aspx?id=73

Goose.

Practically Family
1911 Man said:
As much as I love hats, when I see Nicole Kidman, I can't pull my eyes away from her face long enough to notice anything else. ;)
Oh yeah, she is wearing a hat. Didn't notice either ;)

Thanks Not-Bogart13 for the link to this thread. Interesting.

EDIT: Either I'm totally losing my mind or the question from CC and subsequent posts were appropriately moved to this thread.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You aren't losing your mind. The new query for this information was merged into this thread that answered the question.

That's the way we do. ;)

Indigo_Adams

New in Town
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I'm hoping that maybe some new information has been unearthed since the last post.

I've spent far too many hours at my computer screen trying to figure out which Akubra hat is closest to the one worn by Hugh Jackman in the film. Unfortunately, comparing photos on the internet to a custom-made hat is really not providing me with much answers.

I have a local hat shop who, although they don't carry Akubras, said they could modify a hat for me to resemble Jackman's hat from the movie. -But I would need to find a hat that is fairly close in shape/size for them to be able to do a proper job. Because they don't carry Akubra, they really don't have any better idea which hat is closest in shape than I do.

I've been thinking that maybe a Stockman or a Lawson hat might be a pretty close approximation? If anyone has any input, it would be greatly appreciated!

Duper

Practically Family
Well in may not be the big screen but I was happy to see a number of the cast of Modern Family decked out in Akubra hats for the episode they filmed Down Under.

067958-39409782-51b7-11e4-9bf2-523a93f69707.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails