Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviation art

Eyemo

Practically Family
Aviation Art..

Anyone into this?...One of my paintings from years back...love to get back into it, but I guess I don't have the eyesight anymore..
DSCN0003005.jpg

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"That's awesome ! How can one not like the "Jug", people don't realize that the Liberator was the true workhorse of the AAF. It was said the Liberator was not a good plane to ditch in though."

Oh come now, DutchIndo! Don't you know the, so-called, Liberator was nothing more than the box that the Flying Fortress came in?!! lol :p ;)

Par-um-pum! Seriously now - Eyemo, that is a wonderful talent. Don't let it escape you. Wear 'coke-bottle-bottoms' if you have to, but keep up that good work! I am impressed! Share more soon. :eusa_clap

-dixon cannon

Chas

One Too Many
>>Oh come now, DutchIndo! Don't you know the, so-called, Liberator was nothing more than the box that the Flying Fortress came in?!! lol :p ;)

Maybe not as nice to look at, but she had longer range and carried a bigger bomb load than the B17.

Several variants of the Liberator were highly successful U-Boat killers as well, which made them more versatile than the B-17, as well.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chas said:
>>Oh come now, DutchIndo! Don't you know the, so-called, Liberator was nothing more than the box that the Flying Fortress came in?!! lol :p ;)

Maybe not as nice to look at, but she had longer range and carried a bigger bomb load than the B17.

Several variants of the Liberator were highly successful U-Boat killers as well, which made them more versatile than the B-17, as well.

Hey Chas!...my daddy's Fort and beat your Daddy's Lib, anyday! So there! :D

-dixon cannon

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
The Navy version of the B-24 was the PBY Coronado my friends father flew in one as a bombadier. His dad remembers landing on Tarawa after the battle he secured some neat souvenirs. His dad and crew were chased off by some Marine Officer who said the Island wasn't secured. His dad also remembers the horrific smell.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Commando (Boys Own'esque) comic book art.

Basically grew up on this art fodder. Loved it. How artwork can take you to different worlds in your mind has always amazed me. The quality of drawing (plus the full colour front cover) was (as a schoolboy) a pure joy to behold, and every Christmas I'd look forward to the Annual. With names like Commando; The Hotspur; Hornet; Warlord; The Victor; Battle..etc, I escaped the shackles of reality for a small while and flew Spitfires and ME109's, dived in submarines and scaled clifftops!! I knew what to do if a German said 'hande hoch' to me, but most importantly between the artist and my schoolboy mind these characters were brought to life. Such is the power of art.

SUGGESTION: (If there's enough interest - I have a feeling that vintage 'comic book' art that goes way back to the days of the Napoleonic wars with John Bull, could very well deserve a thread all of it's own)
AirAcePL016.jpg

AirAcePL020.jpg

AirAcePL023.jpg

AirAcePL040.jpg

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Superb Paddy, thanks. I'd love a collection of the original art, framed and hanging on my wall. Problem is, I think Ruf has most of it! I think the Lonewolf Pilot is particularly good, the head is superb and popped in with the minimum of tone. Got anymore, they're so good to see........................???

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've got a collection.

As this is a 'Aviation' inspired WWII I'll have a dig around in my boxes to see what covers and storyboard graphics I have associated with planes, etc.

Sadly, a number of them I 'loaned' out two-years-ago and they seem to have disappeared which is rather annoying [huh]

And 'yes' I think you're right on that one that Rufus has a solid collection of original graphics from these comic types.

Rufus

Practically Family
Eyemo, That's a lovely painting, Sir.

Here's a little Ian Kennedy piece or two.. from a Valiant annual

ik1_blog.jpg

IK2_blog.jpg

Rufus

Practically Family
thanks for posting that Dietz art Smithy, just bought a copy of is Combat portraits book... What an amazing artist. Always exciting to find new stuff!

PDO1_BLOG.jpg

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Lost forever

Sadly, a number of them I 'loaned' out two-years-ago and they seem to have disappeared which is rather annoying [huh]
[/QUOTE]

That's a shame, puts you off lending things altogether. Don't know if this link has been posted before Paddy but it might bring back some memories for you,
there's lots of good things there.

http://www.whereeaglesdare.eu/

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Rufus, that coned Lanc is awesome - what size has this been done at? Fancy selling it?:D
The bike is great too, love that low angle. These boys were good!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
ethanedwards said:
Thanks Tim, pukka gen!
I always rated this Michael Turner painting of scrambling Hurricanes - in fact
anything by Michael Turner is usually well worth a look. I don't think anybody's mentioned Frank Wootton yet, his earlier work is astonishing.

hurribag.jpg

That one is a "must have" in any serious collection.:eusa_clap
Got me raiding the piggy bank - again!!!!

Rufus

Practically Family
Spitfire! You're willpower has crumbled!

Ethan.. My apologies, I'm gonna hang onto the Ian Kennedy art, as his stuff is incredibly hard to find. It's a very small piece, 26 X 20 cm.

The Motorbike one is by Pino Dell'Orco.

I'll photograph some more soon. I've got a whole pile of Army related covers and art to post too! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy