Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviation Fuel

RBH

Bartender
I am not sure what the hat looks like ...but with fedoras you can stuff crumpled up newspapers in the crown and close it up in a plastic bag for a few days. In case of a ladies hat or what I think of as a ladies hat, you could put the newspaper in a bag and then place the hat in.
I cant say it will work with a fuel type smell but all it will cost is a day or so.
And if it seems to help you can replace the newspaper and do it over again till all trace of the smell is gone.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Mrs Corbettt -

Not one to question your olfactory calibrations, but I would point out that one common cleaning option for soiled hats is immersion in white gasoline, AKA Coleman fuel or equivalents. Now if the hat distinctively smells of kerosene, or a traditional hurricane lantern, that's surely aviation fuel. An odor more likely to linger. And for all I know, you may be an aviator and know all this better than I!

Airing out should cure things eventually.

All the best,
= Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn