Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops

Michaelson

One Too Many
MK, that's the old 'pecking order'.....the most experienced barber got the window chair. This way they actually had a view during the day, and folks walking by could see the best the shop had to offer. Regards. Michaelson

Imahomer

Practically Family
My trip to a vintage Barber Shop

If you can't get to the Vintage Barber shop... Bring the Vintage Barber shop to you!

barber1.jpg

barber2.jpg

Danosaurus

New in Town
Went to Andy's yesterday. Wow it was quite an experience, way different than "less-than-super"cuts or any of the other places I've been in recent years.

Todd cut my hair, he's the guy farthest from the window but he gave me an excellent cut that looks great. ;) Best I've had in years. Even used warm lather and a straight razor on the sides and back. The shop is really neat, Todd said it originally opened in the 20's.

I will certainly be frequenting Andy's for all future haircut needs! :D

Canadave

One Too Many
My first (barber) shave!

Just got home from my shave...it was sweet. It took 20-25 minutes and was very satisfying. Lotions, potions, hot towels, hand massagers - ahhh, the life. Unfortunately, in my reclined position, I couldn't watch in the mirror, which I missed. It cost $30 (~US$22) - a gift from my wife. It was in a high-priced hotel. My friend and I will look for a more old-world operation, hopefully at a bit lower price.

The gentleman did nick me a bit...just in one place where I have a small mole/freckle. I never nick it, because it's well out of my beard zone. Oh well, I feared much worse!

In another forum, Palidin wrote;
Originally posted by Paladin
What I think I might do is start a separate topic post for anyone interested in "shaving science". It's truly old-world and once you've learned, you'd be amazed at the consistant quality of the shave. Here are the links for both Charles Roberts' web site and the British Gentleman's Shop. Charles has several articles on his shaving science on the web site, I'd encourage you to read them--and it's free!

http://www.enchanteonline.com/

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/info.aspx?ref=ourshop

Go to it lad!

David

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Glad to hear you had a good experience.

I don't know much about the "science of shaving", but after using many different razors (including straight and "safety" razors), I can say that the best one I have used is that new Gillette M3 that vibrates. It is terrific, and gives the closest shave next to having a proper barber shave you.

Marlowe

One of the Regulars
I had a barber shave me at my haircut-before-last. It was nice, getting all the hot towels, lotion, shaving cream, etc. I do a better job on myself, though. Maybe my barber just needs a bit of practice.

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by Zohar
...the best one I have used is that new Gillette M3 that vibrates. It is terrific, and gives the closest shave next to having a proper barber shave you.

This sounds like a gimmick, but I read a comparison of this shaver vs. 2 other newer ones, and it got a great review.

Good to hear an endorsement!

David

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I thought it was a gimmick as well, but I bowed to the marketers' enticements, and gave it a try. It's MUCH better than the standard mach 3.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Zohar wrote

I thought it was a gimmick as well, but I bowed to the marketers' enticements, and gave it a try. It's MUCH better than the standard mach 3.

I bought one yesterday after reading your post on it. I must say its the best razor i've ever used. I can't even remember the last time i had a barber give me a shave.

STHill

One of the Regulars
I've been using an M3 "Turbo" for awhile (haven't figured out where they put the turbocharger, but I'm sure it's in there, somewhere). It is by far the best razor I have ever used.

So now your're telling me they have one that vibrates? Woo-wee, I better not try it--it might be so good I can't stand it!

Imahomer

Practically Family
Hmmm.. I'll have to check out the M3 turbo. I've always wanted to get a shave at a barber shop, but I've just never got around to it. I thought I'd treat myself on some special occassion. Some time when I'm going someplace fancy, or something along those lines. I'm wondering though if most of you have had a positive experience doing that.

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by Imahomer
...Some time when I'm going someplace fancy, or something along those lines. I'm wondering though if most of you have had a positive experience doing that.

Well, as stated, I just had my first barber shave and it was a positive experience. I WASN'T going anywhere fancy, but afterwards wished I was!

David

matei

One Too Many
"Old School" barbershop in London?

Hello all!

Can anyone recommend a true barbershop in London? I haven't had any luck in finding one yet. There is a place near me that from the outside appears to be an "old school" type establishment, however it is nothing of the sort.

I'm tired of trying to explain (without great success) what look I'm trying to achieve to uninterested spiky-gel-frosted-fringe hairdressers. One actually said "Oh, I thought you meant like an old-man haircut, complete with the side part!"

Emm... that is exactly what I meant.

Cheers!

Salv

One Too Many
I've had my hair cut a couple of times at a barber in west London, but that may be too far for you - Murray's in Kingston-upon-Thames is run by a rockabilly guy called Nick Murray, but they do a wide range of cuts, including traditional and rocking cuts. Click on the "Gallery" link from the main page for some examples, and also try the "Rockin' Cuts" link (but turn the sound down first if you're at work, unless you don't mind hearing a song called Shorty's Barber Shop.) The Rockin' cut on the far left looks quite 40's.

Apart from Murray's there's always Trumper's in Mayfair and St. James'; Flittner's in Moorgate (annoying Flash website with lots of sound effects); The Refinery at Harrods. Some of the big traditional London hotels have their own barbershops as well - Claridges and The Ritz for example.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR