Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
sorry to peak in on such a manly thing, but i was wending where you all live that you can do that, im from KS and it's illegal to do a straight razor shave, im a cosmetologist/barber and would love to learn out to do it but no one can even teach me

tonyper

Familiar Face
?????

Illegal ??????? Why ????????

My barber tells me that even here in the worlds Metropolis, NYC area that there are not many people left that know how to do it !!!!!! There is a barber shop here though that I think has found a niche. Old Tyme Barber Shop, manned by lovely ladies. I think they are full service, including shaves, manicure, etc etc. Have to check it out sometime

Tony

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Illegal in Kansas...interesting. I know, at least in the 80's, in California in order to get your barber/cosmetologist/hair cutting license, you HAD to demonstrate you could give a straight razor shave. They made those in my brother's barbering class practice by lathering & shaving a balloon. One nick and bla-boom.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Mr. H - you live the life we all envy. :)

Tipping: Tips are given to any person who performs a personal service. Fetching you something, shaving or grooming, carrying something, providing guidance or reservations, etc.

NonEntity

Suspended
In my way of thinking, it's always beneficial to be generous with those skilled in the use of edged weapons!

Now, as to barber-shop shaves in general. There is an OSHA regulation, the Bloodborne Pathogens standard--the same one that applies to the use and disposal of syringes, cleaning toilets, and mouth-to-mouth rescusitation, among other things--that governs shaving for hire.

The razor must be used only once, and then disposed of in a "sharps" container, so that basically means using a disposable blade. If the same razor were used on another customer, there is the possibility that blood tainted with HIV, hepatitis, etc. could transfer into, and infect, that customer. So that is, in fact, illegal, and has been since the standard was promulgated in the early 1990s.

Yeah, I know, dunking the blade in disinfectant would probably kill any pathogen, but OSHA doesn't see it that way. I've never heard of them busting a barber, but they could if they wanted to.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Can a "disposable" blade hold an edge the way a high carbon steel straight razor could? I would think that defeats the purpose of the barber shave. [huh]
Do the places that do these shaves have the wall full of mugs, like the old days? In olden times, barber shops would have individual shaving mugs for each individual regular customer, with, I would assume, a personal brush. It would be taken down every time that individual sat down in the chair. It was one of the more picturesque things to be seen in an old fashioned barber shop, or, more correctly, "tonsorial parlor". My earliest memories of barber shops include this image.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Yep, I'd tip alright. As a stylist it definitely makes me feel good to get tips, esp. if a gift certificate is used. I usually tip more when I use a GC.

Let us know how it went!
Nikki

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know that's what The Art of the Shave says on their website - that all straight-razor shaves are with a straight-razor with disposable blade. I haven't tried them, but ones of these days...

That said...I wonder if you have your own straight-razor and bring it with you (or buy it at the store), if they'd use it, since it's not being used on anyone else? I'm sure they'd teach you how to use a straight razor and give you some tips, rather than just handing it to you (at a rather pricey cost!) and send you home to hack-up your face and learn by trial and error.

tonyper

Familiar Face
Disposable ???????

My barber uses the same straight razor all the time to do the neck and around the ears. It is not disposable...

T

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
Barber in Dallas/Fort Worth

Hi folks... second post here, but I've been "lurking" for a little while.
I looked around and couldn't find anything on the subject... I'm just trying to find a good barber in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that can cut vintage styles (particularly one that can cut a nice pompadour).
I've been to Rob's Chop Shop in Dallas, but he never cut my hair the same way twice. Since I've moved from my parents' house, I'm 30-40 minutes from the lady who used to cut my hair, so... I'm out of luck. Help!?

chuckknight

New in Town
What part of Dallas are you in? It's a huge place.

I used to live near White Rock Lake, and went to a little barber shop in Lakewood shopping center. It'd been there for decades. Think it was called Lakewood Barber Shop...or something very similar. Right next to Radio Shack.

My barber, George, has unfortunately, retired...but his replacements were well versed in the styles you want. I've had a variation on a pompadour my entire life, and theirs was the best cut I ever got.

I really miss George.

Haven't been there since I moved away from Dallas in 2001...but would expect it to still offer the same service. There was even an article in the Dallas Morning News, years ago, about it being the last true barber shop in Dallas.

-- Chuck Knight

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
I actually live in Arlington in a spot pretty central to both Dallas and Fort Worth. I'm not sure that I'd have much luck out in Arlington since most places I've seen here seem to be Super Cuts and Sport Clips... so, I asked about the bigger cities near me.
Do you have an address for the Lakewood place?

Herr Hitman

One of the Regulars
Drive To Denton

tylerevansokay said:
I actually live in Arlington in a spot pretty central to both Dallas and Fort Worth. I'm not sure that I'd have much luck out in Arlington since most places I've seen here seem to be Super Cuts and Sport Clips... so, I asked about the bigger cities near me.

My guy is ok.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
tylerevansokay said:
Hi folks... second post here, but I've been "lurking" for a little while.
I looked around and couldn't find anything on the subject... I'm just trying to find a good barber in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that can cut vintage styles (particularly one that can cut a nice pompadour).
I've been to Rob's Chop Shop in Dallas, but he never cut my hair the same way twice. Since I've moved from my parents' house, I'm 30-40 minutes from the lady who used to cut my hair, so... I'm out of luck. Help!?

Wish I could help ya.. but I'm in Tulsa. My brother lives in Arlington and I made the trek to get my pomp cut at Rob's Chop shop 3 years ago.. actually went twice and was not that impressed. I actually gave the pomp up for a year, but now am growing it back since I found a good barber that knows how to cut it. Good Luck!!

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Herr Hitman said:
My guy is ok.

Nice looking pomp Hitman... my girlfriend wants me to die my hair darker like yours. She likes it shiny and greasy... I'm a little leary of coloring it.. I'm sure it would be regular maintanance... guess it couldn't hurt to try it.

chuckknight

New in Town
tylerevansokay said:

Not an address, per se, but I can tell you where it is located. If I could remember the actual name, I could look it up on superpages. I last went there before moving out of Dallas...so it's been literally years. But, they'd been around for decades, and had no intention of leaving any time soon...I'd be shocked if the barber shop wasn't there.

Anyway...Lakewood Shopping Center is at the corner of Gaston Ave and Abrams Road, just a couple of minutes north of downtown Dallas. The major landmark is a restaurant called the Dixie House...look for the Radio Shack, and you'll see the barber shop.

Alternately, there is an OLD barber shop is Casa View shopping center, not too far from Lakewood. It's called the Casa View Barber Shop, but I've never used it. Been there for decades, though.

You can pull up either on superpages to get an address, then mapquest to get driving directions.

-- Chuck Knight

kbadr

Familiar Face
I forgot I started this thread.

The straight razor shave was underwhelming. She didn't even use a brush! And the shave wasn't as close as I've been able to get when shaving myself. Is that normal? I'd always read that a straight-razor shave will be the closest you'll ever get...though that might only apply if you're the one dragging the blade across your face.

Caledonia

Practically Family
A straight razor shave should be the best you get so I'm told. Haven't exactly tried one, but with age comes great cosmetic responsibility! :D Re tipping - Paddy's got it straight on. You won't probably be able to get it but the Ray Winstone film of Sweeney Todd is not just a wonderful historical view, but completely scarey! Scotrace is also totally there - forget modern conventions, tipping is an elegant and mannerly must for any personal service. "Tips included", or words to that effect, on any bill should elicit swift ripping up of said bill as should any indication of accepted tipping amounts. Any lady or gentleman knows that tipping for personal service is standard and will tip as is deserving (ok, Scroooooooge types will be difficult, but c'est la vie). Tip away - and find a better barber!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24