Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BARBISIO Brothers

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
1930s.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8089&d=1389111136
attachment.php

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Barbisio stingy

The Barbisio arrived in beaten condition even if the seller claimed it was quite new.
He was right, after little steam and brush, the Barbisio of his grandfather is in excellent conditions.
21jai5z.jpg
It was made for a special occasion for the grandfather of the owner.
10cussh.jpg
It is a stingy brim Italian style.
27zyzk5.jpg
I presume it came from the seventies or maybe the sixties. This tipe of hats are very common in Italy in those days.
1zlsuaa.jpg
240zl02.jpg
It has a 11 cm. crown and the brims are 4,5 cm, size is 59 cm. or 7 3/8 US. Interesting the color matching with a multicolor ribbon.
vqmgs0.jpg
2natum1.jpg
25p7csg.jpg
Very well conserved after a TLC it is here for the pleasure of fedora lovers.

Very nice Daniele Tanto. A great color and striking band. Is Odessa the name of this model, I wonder? I was there for a while, and never saw such a nice hat.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I presume Odessa is the name of that line of Barbisio hats.
Italians hatters have/had different methods to name the hats in Italy and abroad.
It could be interesting to try an history of Italians types of hats from the II WW, before I think it could be really diffcult.
By the way this Barbisio is particular.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Barbisio Argento Beaver

A rare Barbisio is here, coming from one of the Barbisio shop (now gone) in Italy
Luxurious and elegant made in the sunset of the golden era of the Italians hats. It is rare, top line and expensive.
2easdw9.jpg
2lmqkqp.jpg
The color is ice/clear silver, it depends from light. Deep navy ribbon (4,5 cm.)
Finishing of the felt is real soft and the hairs are long and rich of glints. Brims are raw.
jj92y0.jpg
The hat is a new old-stock. Lined with deep pink silk.
1zd6u6e.jpg
2gxpra8.jpg
1z511zd.jpg
Dimension are the following: brim at 4,5 cm. and crown at 11 cm. (lowest point).
Size is tagged at 61 or 7 5/8 US and is true.
5l9gd1.jpg
One of rare Barbisio made in Sagliano Micca of beaver finishing with the melousine method.
bijt7a.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Barbisio Classic Liguria

Thanks for the appreciations, Alan and Steve. You are really connoisseurs ;)
Barbisio Classic Liguria is today the classic bold of the Italians hatters.
4qh94i.jpg

2zgw9z5.jpg

A real classico in the Italian fedora style
k2n6o0.jpg

Shape and proportions. 5,5 cm. brim and 11 cm. lowest point of crown are a sort of trademark for Italians hats in the last 60 years
After II WW this shape and measurements became a sort of standard for the hats sold in EU, not the same for the USA where most of the hats exported are more similar to the 40' - 50' production.
14x0arr.jpg

This Barbisio is a new-old stock never worn in a 60 cm or 7 1/2 size. Lined in white satin and with the golden marks on the sweatband
2j0kyg0.jpg
2ql75p0.jpg
2v96lih.jpg
Finishing is of excellent standard
24fy6c3.jpg

A true classic

Great color and finish! Is it from the 1980s?

In Germany and Austria you see mostly wide brim hats into the late 1950s. The trend is similar to America where you start to see shorter brims and crowns around the same time and then full tilt into the 1960s.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
It seems belong to the last Barbisio production before the took over of the Cappellificio Cervo.
I presume this from the trademark and the excellence of the finishing and above all the quality of the felt that is really appreciable in comparison of other Barbisio more recent I have in hands.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Barbisio Bolivia

It's quite raining and I have time to post this "oldnew" StraBarbisio Bolivia.
25jxvnn.jpg

This "true" Sagliano Micca made Barbisio came from a flagship hats shop (now closed) in Sicily.
4rxbfc.jpg

The felt is medium and very pliable. It arrived open crown and I cresed it in this way.
2i6chhh.jpg

The color is a deep coffee with brim at 5 cm. crease at 11 cm.
2hx93rr.jpg

The ribbon (4 cm.) is pleaded and give a touch of glamour
Interior of the hat
2rc3ecp.jpg

1zyxbb9.jpg

vy77mc.jpg

One of my prefered on this batch of Barbisio arrived one week after Christmas.
My personal gift to myself ;)
2craarr.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Barbisio Sportex Brown

This is a new Barbisio Sportex made in medium brown.
2nbgego.jpg

It 's a lightweight hat by midseason.
333khw0.jpg

It has a typical shape of fifties with the crown lowered and a small ribbon and medium brim.
dlrp1l.jpg

A spring time hat with the following characteristics: the brim are 6 cm. and the crown is 8 cm lowered.
Brims are bound with a splendid thin ribbon of the same color.
synwgj.jpg

It is unlined and comes directly from a closed store Barbisio of Sicily.
2rrlc9v.jpg

A very Italian style hat from the another era
11c6xwz.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Steve for the appreciation here and in the French makers thread.
The Barbisio is right for the springtime, it is light and very sporty. It is new and not my size and neither yours ;-)
It will be in the classified soon.
The Flechet is a very elegant hat in a way that I found completely different from the Italian and German hats.
More I wear the frenchies, more I appreciate them.
The very old one I wear today 8see post) is unbelievable, because it is sturdy and in the meantime really soft and malleable.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran