Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Batsakes Hat Shop in Cincinnati

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Tango Yankee? Cacafuego!! I'd go, "Tango Uniform," for the shine stand.

I'd take the Head Teller job at a downtown bank in Cincinnati just so I could work evenings at that store.

Hats or a shine? Dang, I could do either. Ever tell you fellers about my, "formal," shoes? I have a narrow foot. Worked on the shoes for over a year. Could not afford Allen-Edmonds formal shoes, so I took a pair of black dress shoes in narrow and brush coated them using a vintage shoe brush.... 10 months later after 40 brush coats of Kiwi black, finally spit shined them. OMG they are scary bright!!!! Look like patent-leather.

Scuffs? they brush away now.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Well, I'm sorry to say I never heard anything from the Mayor's office, and I don't think they ever did anything to recognize Gus. Pretty sad, I think.

Regards,
Tom

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
Tango Yankee said:
Well, I'm sorry to say I never heard anything from the Mayor's office, and I don't think they ever did anything to recognize Gus. Pretty sad, I think.

Regards,
Tom

As a lifetime resident of the Greater Cincinnati area, this does not surprise me. That city government is a train wreck, full of selfish interests, huge egos, and a near complete inability to accomplish anything worthwhile.

I love Cincinnati, but am happy I live on the "southside" (Kentucky, for the geographically challenged).

Boris K

One of the Regulars

Tom, I just found this via a google search. You may have not received a reply, but apparently you helped get Gus a key to the city and a formal proclimation from the mayor of Cincinnati!

Way to go!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

100 Years of Hats

Mayor Mark Mallory and his dad, former Ohio House Majority Leader William L. Mallory Sr., went to Batsakes hat shop downtown this morning to honor the store's 100th anniversary.

Batsakes---07-010-796073_sm.jpg

They surprised owner Gus Miller with a key to the city and a proclamation.

posted by Jane Prendergast at 8/07/2007 11:44:00 AM
(From the Cincinnati Enquirer Politics Extra Blog)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
That's terrific!

I was at his shop last month and forgot to ask if the city had done anything; he didn't say anything about it, either. I'm glad to hear that they did indeed give him the recognition he deserves!

Regards,
Tom

Boris K

One of the Regulars

Gus was interviewed for the newspaper website as well.

Last edited:

carter

I'll Lock Up
A Gem in Cincinnati

Gentlemen, Thanks for starting and contributing to this thread. It's been a joy to read these posts as well as the articles and to watch the video interview. Gus Miller is one of a kind.

I'm glad to see that he received some recognition from the Mayor's Office.

I wonder if there was an article in "Hat Life" (trade publication mentioned in one of the 1st articles) as well.

You folks in southern Ohio and northern Kentucky have a treasure in your midst.

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
Given, Gus does not have a web site, can a person call in for a custom hat or do you have to go to the store................

I would love a hat from his shop....

Thanks so much

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Come on down

I've been into Batsakes a number of times, and I can say from experience, it's easier if you go in and talk to him in person.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just read this thread today. Just last week I received a Panama from Panama Bob that Mr. Miller blocked for me. The hat is very fine and now I'm curious about having one of his felt fedoras to wear. I plan to cal Mr. Miller the next time I have a day off to thank him for the Panama.

filfoster

One Too Many
Gus Miller is bigger than the town he's in

Hat Head said:
As a lifetime resident of the Greater Cincinnati area, this does not surprise me. That city government is a train wreck, full of selfish interests, huge egos, and a near complete inability to accomplish anything worthwhile.

I love Cincinnati, but am happy I live on the "southside" (Kentucky, for the geographically challenged).

I enjoy Cinci from the same perspective you do: accross the river. I work on Fountain Square and enjoy waving to Gus whenever I pass by. Haven't bought anything for a while, but I treasure the seven hats and caps I have purchased from him. What a guy. He makes you think you're his best customer even if you haven't been there for years.
And the Cinci gov't? Nothing to add to your comments. On the other hand, they have done a lot for Northern Kentucky.

Well, yesterday I finally picked up my custom Gus Miller from Batsakes. This is a bucket list hat, as Mr. Miller is one of the oldest and finest hatters in the country. Mr. Miller sold me my first hat - a Selentino Sterling - a couple of years ago and I've wanted to get a custom from him for some time. The wait time on this was only a couple of weeks. Ordered it on June 11, and he called last Tuesday saying it was ready. I wasn't able to get down to Cincy until yesterday (Saturday), however.

My aim was to recreate the coveted and legendary Knox 100, currently in the possession of Lotsahats. Lotsa sent me a photo of the Knox and the specs on it. I gave Mr. Miller a photo of the Knox and some slightly tweaked specs. The Knox has a 5 1/2" open crown, I asked for 5 3/4". The Knox has a 2 1/2" brim, which I asked for, but Mr. Miller fought me a bit on that and said he thought 2 5/8" would look better. If I didn't like it, he would trim it down when I picked it up. In the end, I left it at 2 5/8" because, well, he was right. Obviously, he couldn't recreate the felted edge on the 100. I toyed with the idea of an underwelt but eventually just kept the brim raw.

The hat is beautiful, and I'm very glad I ordered it. Fits great, looks great and I think it's a reasonable approximation of the 100, though I couldn't quite match the ribbon color out of Batsakes' stock. Still all-in-all, I got the look I was shooting for.

Picture8.jpg
Picture5.jpg
Picture10.jpg
Picture6.jpg
Picture11.jpg
Picture7.jpg

The color is bone (Winchester felt). The ribbon is brown. It's a substantial hat, certainly not pounced thin (but pounced nicely - it has a nice finish). The crown is fairly stiff - when you thump it with your finger you get a pronounced "thok!" The felt was very easy to work with, though, and took my crease readily in the shop.

I of course dry creased it on first sight. Mr. Miller offered to hit it with some steam, but after we talked about elephants for a while (you gotta know Mr. Miller; no telling where the conversation will go), and since it looked OK the way I creased it, I never had him hit it with steam. I reworked it a bit after I got home, though. An on-noggin shot (celebrating my new hat with beers and grub at Moerlein's Lager House).

Picture4.jpg

Look, a very happy customer!
Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg

Last edited:

Mm25

One Too Many
Well, yesterday I finally picked up my custom Gus Miller from Batsakes. This is a bucket list hat, as Mr. Miller is one of the oldest and finest hatters in the country. Mr. Miller sold me my first hat - a Selentino Sterling - a couple of years ago and I've wanted to get a custom from him for some time. The wait time on this was only a couple of weeks. Ordered it on July 11, and he called last Tuesday saying it was ready. I wasn't able to get down to Cincy until yesterday (Saturday), however.

My aim was to recreate the coveted and legendary Knox 100, currently in the possession of Lotsahats. Lotsa sent me a photo of the Knox and the specs on it. I gave Mr. Miller a photo of the Knox and some slightly tweaked specs. The Knox has a 5 1/2" open crown, I asked for 5 3/4". The Knox has a 2 1/2" brim, which I asked for, but Mr. Miller fought me a bit on that and said he thought 2 5/8" would look better. If I didn't like it, he would trim it down when I picked it up. In the end, I left it at 2 5/8" because, well, he was right. Obviously, he couldn't recreate the felted edge on the 100. I toyed with the idea of an underwelt but eventually just kept the brim raw.

The hat is beautiful, and I'm very glad I ordered it. Fits great, looks great and I think it's a reasonable approximation of the 100, though I couldn't quite match the ribbon color out of Batsakes' stock. Still all-in-all, I got the look I was shooting for.

View attachment 52569 View attachment 52570 View attachment 52571 View attachment 52572

The color is bone (Winchester felt). The ribbon is brown. It's a substantial hat, certainly not pounced thin (but pounced nicely - it has a nice finish). The crown is fairly stiff - when you thump it with your finger you get a pronounced "thok!" The felt was very easy to work with, though, and took my crease readily in the shop.

I of course dry creased it on first sight. Mr. Miller offered to hit it with some steam, but after we talked about elephants for a while (you gotta know Mr. Miller; no telling where the conversation will go), and since it looked OK the way I creased it, I never had him hit it with steam. I reworked it a bit after I got home, though. An on-noggin shot (celebrating my new hat with beers and grub at Moerlein's Lager House).

View attachment 52573

Look, a very happy customer!
View attachment 52574 View attachment 52575
It's always an amazing experience dealing with a real craftsman. Congrats on a beautiful hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner