Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Batsakes Hat Shop in Cincinnati

Very nice.
I agree, Gus is very nice and personable, but he doesn't sell the hats. Brusque is too kind a word. The dark haired woman that usually waits on customers is one of the coldest, unfriendliest people I have ever met. On more than one occasion she served as a test on how badly I wanted a particular hat, I don't consider it charming. Other friends have had the same experience. We think she must be a relative (wife or sister).

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
I agree, Gus is very nice and personable, but he doesn't sell the hats. Brusque is too kind a word. The dark haired woman that usually waits on customers is one of the coldest, unfriendliest people I have ever met. On more than one occasion she served as a test on how badly I wanted a particular hat, I don't consider it charming. Other friends have had the same experience. We think she must be a relative (wife or sister).
I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences there. The two times I've been there I was treated well by everyone in the shop.
Although the sales ladies did not smile a lot, and did not exactly exude charm, they were helpful when I asked for help and not in the least stand-offish. Of course, one of the first sentences that came out of my mouth the first time I visited was "I'm interested in placing a custom order."

As for Mr. Miller: I'm delighted to have had the chance for him to make me a hat, and for having had the opportunity to listen to him chat a little about his life, his career and acquaintances, and his philosophy. And I love the shoe-shine set up there: Something I don't think I've seen since I was a tot (i.e. about a half century ago).

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
This evening I have been visiting this thread and thinking about this business. I have not posted up my fedora on this thread before. My Gus is shown below:

i-pMDPCvc-L.jpg

The felt color is accurate in the above pic.

i-QbqLWj9-L.jpg

Best, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Drove to Cincinnati yesterday to pick up this custom from Mr. Miller, which he cranked out in about 2 weeks. I'm calling it my "film noir" fedora. Steel colored beaver felt with a 1 5/8" black ribbon. The Crown is about 5 1/2" when open, and I put in the diamond bash myself (I think it may play around with it a little more). I decided to leave the brim raw for this one; width ended up being 2 3/8". I usually go with a brim of at least 2 1/2" for my custom hats; but, hey, variety is the spice of life; and I think this narrower brim works well with the dark color of the felt and the raw edge. The colors in the photos are just a tad lighter than in reality (I had to adjust them that way so some of the details could show up).

The hat is beautifully constructed, and the finish is buttery smooth. Gus Miller is 83 years old, but he is still sharp as a tack, and he certainly knows his profession. If any of you ever make it to the Cincy area, it would be well worth your while to stop in to Batsakes (which is just off Fountain Square at the heart of downtown) and talk to Mr. Miller about making one for you. And that is what you probably will have to do to get a hat from him: He is not on the internet, and I'm not sure whether he would take a phone order (he likes to size people up face to face).
View attachment 61246 View attachment 61247 View attachment 61248 View attachment 61249 View attachment 61250 View attachment 61251

Now that is sharp!

Wear it proudly sir.

Best, Eric -

Drove to Cincinnati yesterday to pick up this custom from Mr. Miller, which he cranked out in about 2 weeks. I'm calling it my "film noir" fedora. Steel colored beaver felt with a 1 5/8" black ribbon. The Crown is about 5 1/2" when open, and I put in the diamond bash myself (I think it may play around with it a little more). I decided to leave the brim raw for this one; width ended up being 2 3/8". I usually go with a brim of at least 2 1/2" for my custom hats; but, hey, variety is the spice of life; and I think this narrower brim works well with the dark color of the felt and the raw edge. The colors in the photos are just a tad lighter than in reality (I had to adjust them that way so some of the details could show up).

The hat is beautifully constructed, and the finish is buttery smooth. Gus Miller is 83 years old, but he is still sharp as a tack, and he certainly knows his profession. If any of you ever make it to the Cincy area, it would be well worth your while to stop in to Batsakes (which is just off Fountain Square at the heart of downtown) and talk to Mr. Miller about making one for you. And that is what you probably will have to do to get a hat from him: He is not on the internet, and I'm not sure whether he would take a phone order (he likes to size people up face to face).
View attachment 61246 View attachment 61247 View attachment 61248 View attachment 61249 View attachment 61250 View attachment 61251
It would be worth the trip to meet Gus. I would love to prove my worthiness for a hat like this one!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab

Boy KY , that is SWEET ! Congratulations !

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
This evening I have been visiting this thread and thinking about this business. I have not posted up my fedora on this thread before. My Gus is shown below:

i-pMDPCvc-L.jpg

The felt color is accurate in the above pic.

i-QbqLWj9-L.jpg

Best, Eric -
Eric: Your Batsakes is marvelous! Love the proportions; and the bash is superb! What is the felt color (looks like it might be bone or silvermist)? And how long ago did you have this one made?

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Ok...know I'm late to the dance here. Gus made me a hat earlier this year. Here it is, along with the pics from when I picked it up. He's a gem, a credit to hatters, to Greece from whence he came (Gus Miller is what I would call a "nom de chapeau", a name easier for all the Germans in Cincinnati to use), to Cincinnati, and to his family.

That said, I entrusted Gus to make my first bespoke this year, when I decided to join the hat tribe. It's not as tall as some would prefer, but he is an artist as well as a businessman. (He remembered @Frunobulax when I showed him a pic.) I picked the felt (steel gray), the ribbon (as red/maroon), and the bow (shark gill).
WP_20160923_003.jpg
WP_20161022_022.jpg

Unfortunately when I went to pick it up, the bow was more traditional. The good news is that he was not there when I saw that, which means I got one more opportunity to talk with him when I picked it up on Saturday.
WP_20161022_002.jpg

Now for some pics of the homecoming celebration!
WP_20161022_008 (2).jpg

Liner.jpg
Made for Me.jpg
Shark Gill.jpg

Last edited:

Bigger Don

Practically Family
I need to go back down and see Mr. Miller. Haven't shot the breeze with him since summer.
I've been having the same thoughts. Having noticed a number of less active FL members who are also Batsakes wearers, was wondering if lunch on the square should be one of the stops for such a trip. It'll be like a "protest of love"!

jackm

One of the Regulars
I visited the store 5 or 6 years ago knowing nothing about felt fedoras. Before I even knew the lay of the land in the store I was driven out by I'm sure that same woman. While it may have saved me countless $ I now know the missed opportunity to meet Mr Miller is something I regret. Live and learn as they say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider