Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BATTER UP!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I favor the Cubs, but I'm not tribal about it. I usually go to the Cell to see a game with Red Sox Nation ...

Admittedly, I am a tribalist but it's an acquired fault. I tried to be objective and a Chicagoan above all else; and, I once remarked to my boyhood
idol, Ernie Banks that I thought the White Sox winning the Series was great. He replied, "what's so great about it?" "C'mon Ern, they're a Chicago team..."
"We're gonna win it next year." God rest his soul. But the current hard assed Sox managerial attitude toward the Cubs tipped the scales.;)
I have always believed what is good for the Sox is good for Chicago, and what is good for Chicago is good for the Cubs. :)

Last edited:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
But the current hard assed Sox managerial attitude toward the Cubs tipped the scales.;)
I have always believed what is good for the Sox is good for Chicago, and what is good for Chicago is good for the Cubs. :)

I was less than thrilled about taxpayers subsidizing the Cell. Or the McCaskey Family Playpen, for that matter.

Them: "If you don't spend the millions to buy us a new stadium, we'll move somewhere else!!"

Me: "Dosvedonya. And don't let the door hit ya on the way out!"

Last edited:

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
A few panoramic photos...
6a28819r.jpg

Rob

LizzieMaine

Bartender
First one is a great shot of the 1890 version of the Polo Grounds, built originally for the Players' League, and subsequently taken over by the Giants. The grandstand was wooden, like most parks of the time, and it caught fire and was destroyed early in the 1911 season. A new concrete and steel version went up on the same site and was occupied by the Giants in July -- that was the version that would last into the 1960s.

Some of the buildings visible atop Coogan's Bluff in the photo are still there today.

The bottom shot of Fenway Park is a good chance to see just how much of the original grandstand is still in use today. The main deck at current day Fenway, extending from first to third base, is still the original concrete and steel from 1912, but everything else, extending from the first base foul line around to the corner of the Wall, including the Wall itself, was built during the Yawkey Renovation of 1934. The configuration of the playing field itself remains unchanged, except for the elimination of "Duffy's Cliff," the terrace in front of the left field fence. People are sitting on the Cliff in the photo as temporary seating for the World Series.

Caught some of the Yankees Redsox game yesterday on TV. Not much going in the inning (bottom of the third) for the first two outs (after two ten+ pitch duels with successive batters), then a double and intentional walk and two on (first and second). A few pitches in, an intentional play to have the catcher throw to first to pick off the runner and it works. That moment, the catcher firing a throw to first right on the money, the tag and the runner clearly out - was like going from zero to 60 in three seconds. Been a long time since I've seen that exact play work. That's the magic of baseball.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Speaking of the Polo Grounds, here's a rare post-Giants pre-Mets look at the place --

POLOGROUNDS1-jumbo.jpg

The New York Titans football team, later the Jets, used the Polo Grounds from 1960 to 1963, and this shot was taken during the summer of 1960 as they were practicing for the upcoming AFL season. The park had been abandoned by the Giants after the 1957 season, and had been used for a variety of other small-fry events including midget car racing, religious and political rallies, and boxing until the Titans moved in. The Giants left behind an ad for their radio-TV sponsor, Knickerbocker Beer, on the front of the clubhouse, which the Titans took down -- but you can still see the outline of where the face of Father Knickerbocker was painted out. The field was in very poor condition, even for football, and the Titans players complained long and loud about how rough it was.

⇧ My dad talked about and grumbled about (obscured views) the Polo Grounds for years - but I could tell he had good memories (the grumbling wasn't too high on his personal grumble scale which meant he liked it: low grumbled = liked).

Separate thought: The Jets should have stayed the Titans. Who knows, any small thing might have helped and "Titans" has an Ancient Greek timelessness and intimidation / "Jets" sounds dated and weak now (aren't those the tin cans they shove us in to take us to see grandmother at Christmas).

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
moran-dodgers-79179374.jpg

Dodger manager Walt Alston joins Duke Snider, Carl Erskine, and Walt Moryn in getting a spring-training tennis lesson from former Wimbledon champ Gussie Moran. "Gorgeous Gussie" was the co-host of the Dodger pre- and post-game shows over WMGM radio.

Clark-Field-1024x706.jpg

One of my favorite old yards: Clark Field in Austin, TX. Clark Field was the home of the University of Texas baseball team from 1928-1974. It's most distinctive feature is "Billy Goat Hill", the 12-ft limestone cliff in play across the outfield. It also hosted various exhibition games over the years, including a game in which Lou Gehrig reportedly hit a 600+ foot home run in 1929. The ball reportedly cleared the fence in right-center field, went over the street where the white car is parked, and landed in the grass in front of the big white house at the top of the picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy