Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beautiful "Panama Hat" from Sweden via Japan!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Here's a really cute "Panama".
Vintage, Swedish brand, Glorex- made in Japan.
Don't know exactly what type of fibre it is but definitely natural fibre.
Very stiff and sculptured.

DSCN5021.jpg

DSCN5022.jpg

DSCN5025.jpg

DSCN5027.jpg

DSCN5026.jpg

DSCN5028.jpg

DSCN5029.jpg

B
T

Flieger

Practically Family
Beautiful hat! I think my heart stopped there for a second. Never heard of "Glorex" though... Swedish, you say?

/F

cookie

I'll Lock Up
That Optimo to de Max

BellyTank said:
Here's a really cute "Panama".
Swedish brand, Glorex- made in Japan.
Don't know exactly what type of fibre it is but definitely natural fibre.
Very stiff and sculptured.

DSCN5021.jpg

DSCN5022.jpg

DSCN5025.jpg

DSCN5027.jpg

DSCN5026.jpg

DSCN5028.jpg

DSCN5029.jpg

B
T

Is that one sexy hat?? Thanks BT ...Do I see a potential new FL design for Panamas before me Panama Bob?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I almost didn't take a look at this thread. But, am I ever glad I did! That is, without a doubt, the most beautiful Panama I have ever seen or dreamed about! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

carter

I'll Lock Up
That's a striking hat, I must admit.

I have a question that may have been asked before.

Since the hat commonly referred to as a 'Panama" is made in Ecuador, when is a ""Panama"" not a "Panama"?

If it isn't a "Panama", what is it ?

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
J.T.Marcus said:
I almost didn't take a look at this thread. But, am I ever glad I did! That is, without a doubt, the most beautiful Panama I have ever seen or dreamed about! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

J.T. You've nailed it and I'm in full agreement. That hat is stunning!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap I want one....

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Great block

BellyTank -

That is a very nice straw hat - great shape and ribbon work- it would certainly look very nice in toquilla weave as well.

Imagine if you had to pay all the flight tickets between the straw provenance-Japan-Sweden and Danmark-until it got to you:eusa_doh:

"Panama" - see why that appellation control is really needed.
Imagine what
Levi's would do if any blue denim trouser could be called 501...
French did if I some foreign sparkling wine would be called Champaign...
now people call any straw hat with black ribbon a 'Panama' - and people call the Montecristi 'The real panama'. This is what I hear all the time outside the Lounge

just found that:

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstr...77A93C3AB178FD85F418385F9&scp=5&sq=Panama+hat

"JAPANESE GO AFTER PANAMA HAT TRADE; They Import Toquilla Palm Fiber and Worry Colombia and Ecuador.

Special Correspondence, THE NEW YORK TIMES.

April 21, 1935, Sunday

Section: REVIEW OF THE WEEK EDITORIALS, Page E7, 380 words

PANAMA, R.P. -- The threat of Japan to invade the Panama hat industry has alarmed jobbers and retail dealers here, the exporters in Colombia and Ecuador and the native Indians of the latter two countries, who weave the famous hats that are not made in the country from which they take their name". [ END
OF FIRST PARAGRAPH ]

So you can get the full story against payment there....

K

Kaosharper1

Why its a "Panama"

carter said:
That's a striking hat, I must admit.

I have a question that may have been asked before.

Since the hat commonly referred to as a 'Panama" is made in Ecuador, when is a ""Panama"" not a "Panama"?

If it isn't a "Panama", what is it ?

Evidently Teddy Roosevelt wore one at the opening of the Panama Canal. When the pictures went home it became fashionable to wear one, and they were called "Panama" because of the pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy