Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beaver fedoras

Will

One of the Regulars
If any of you hat aficionados do not already know of Paul's Hat works in San Francisco, one of America's last custom hatters, I published an essay and some photos today at A Suitable Wardrobe.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Will, thanks for the picture and the link. The price seems a bit on the high side compared to pure beaver customs from Optimo or Art Fawcett (4x/5x). Any idea why?

Will

One of the Regulars
AlanC said:
Will, thanks for the picture and the link. The price seems a bit on the high side compared to pure beaver customs from Optimo or Art Fawcett (4x/5x). Any idea why?

I am a near novice when it comes to hats as most of my experience is with James Lock and there I just bought 'em and wore 'em.

When I thought about the premium Michael charges relative to those hats, it's a bit higher than what I'd expect to pay for a bespoke pair of shoes relative to Edward Green, for example, but not outrageously so.

I haven't seen and hence am not qualified to comment on the alternatives you mention but I'll be interested to learn more about them.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Optimo Hats of Chicago

Vintage Silhouettes--VS is Art Fawcett, a regular poster here at FL

Both offer full beaver and full custom. I'm not trying to shill for them, although I am a customer of Art's. Both have a lot of fans on the Lounge. And I'm not questioning Paul's quality, it just seems his pricing is a bit out of whack compared to them. Of course, if he can get it, more power to him, I guess.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I like this one.

beaver1.jpg

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks Will, I know Michael and his work, although he is more known for his Panama's than felts. Gent's, Michael Harris has a shop in the avenues on Geary in SF and apprenticed to the original Paul, one of the great all time hatters. He is in the same neighborhood as Baker Beach ( nude...just for you Marc) and is close to where the ultra wealthy live so there are cases when $ don't matter. I won't comment on his prices other than that. I do know he makes a good hat!!

S

Samsa

cooncatbob said:
Gotta pay that San Francisco rent. lol
Though I'd rather buy 5 hats from Art.

Yes, me too. As soon as I get enough cash to do so, I will be giving him a call.

hatflick1

Practically Family
Through The Looking Glass

Is this the hatter on Geary? I went there some time back. The proprietor seemed almost hesitant to discuss his work or demonstrate styles or allow you to actually try a sample on unless you were ready to shell out four hundred bucks. After a while he loosened up a little and brought some hats out from the back. Gorgeous stuff, no doubt. But hardly the cordial and engaging reception I got at The Hat Guys across the bay in Oakland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn