Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beginner hat recommendations

MagnumP1

New in Town
Hi everyone! I was very excited to discover the Lounge just a few days ago. I love fedoras (hats in general, for that matter), but aside from my great-grandfather's Stetson that I woundn't risk wearing outside, I don't own one. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for certain hats that would be good for someone who is just getting into the fedora wearing business, not too cheap, but not an Art Fawcett. I'd welcome any advice or suggestions.

Thanks a lot, and I look forward to talking with you all in the future!

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome aboard....

Why wouldn't you wear that Stetson outside? That's what those great vintage hats were made for my friend.....I'm sure your Great Grandfather did exactly that. [huh]

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Let's not forget the Akubra Federation, which is only available from hatsdirect.com

Akubras in general are great hats at a great price. And with the Australia dollar exchange rate, even getting something shipped overseas might work out better than a domestic purchase in some cases.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Along with the Akubras (which are great): If your hat size is 7 1/4 or smaller you might look on ebay where vintage hats go for great prices in the smaller sizes. Larger sizes, though, usually pay up.

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
MagnumP1 said:
Hi everyone! I was very excited to discover the Lounge just a few days ago. I love fedoras (hats in general, for that matter), but aside from my great-grandfather's Stetson that I woundn't risk wearing outside, I don't own one. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for certain hats that would be good for someone who is just getting into the fedora wearing business, not too cheap, but not an Art Fawcett. I'd welcome any advice or suggestions.

Thanks a lot, and I look forward to talking with you all in the future!

Tad less than an Art Fawcett, but high quality, handmade hat:

http://www.penmanhats.com/

John Penman is a great guy and can make most anything you want.

And with that Avatar and you being in NY, I'm guessing you are in the 4th ID?

MagnumP1

New in Town
OldSkoolFrat said:
Tad less than an Art Fawcett, but high quality, handmade hat:

http://www.penmanhats.com/

John Penman is a great guy and can make most anything you want.

And with that Avatar and you being in NY, I'm guessing you are in the 4th ID?

No, I'm actually up at West Point. I had a 1 month stint with the 6-9/1st Cav in Ft. Hood, and I came out of it with a Cav Stetson. Pretty good deal.

The Akubras do look good. Thanks for everyone's help!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
You're not likely to find a hat of even modest quality at a mall. Echoing the others here, go with Akubra. Hatsdirect.com is probably the most well known e-tailer.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
MagnumP1 said:
Unfortunately malls and privileges to leave post to get the mall are both rare in the Hudson Valley... I have to rely on the internet.
That's a shame, if only you could manage to get to Manhattan for an afternoon you could visit JJ Hat Center and get properly fitted.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge, MagunP1!

I'll toss in one more vote for Akubra. I'll offer this qualification, though: I only own one fur felt hat, an Akubra Stylemaster. Everything else that I have is wool felt. I like my wool felts just fine, but they're not the same as a fur felt. The Australian dollar has dropped against the American dollar in recent months, so they're a very good value right now. Unfortunately, some of their hats require a 3-month wait. My Stylemaster took almost exactly 2.5 months from order to my door. If you don't want to wait that long, there are some models and colors available for immediate shipping. You might want to check with the vendor to see if there's a wait time. Last time I tried to order a Campdraft (in about October), demand was so high that everything was already earmarked until around January 2009.

Good luck and be sure to post pics!

HatMagnet

Familiar Face
Welcome to the Lounge! As others have mentioned,the Akubra's are one of the best deals in a quality hat right now. For a custom hat,OldSkoolFrat is absolutely correct in recommending a Penman. I have one of his on order and It's a lot of hat for the price.
Good luck with whichever hat you choose and be sure to post pics. ;)

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
I forget the gent's signature exactly, but the gist of it read:

I'm not rich enough to buy cheap.

Many gents that are new to hats get an inexpensive hat to start with. You are actually better off and will save $ in the long run, if you get a high quality product from the get go.

Get a custom from Penman or Art, you can't go wrong, and their turnaround time is relatively quick

This is not to say that an Akubra is not a good hat, But if you get a custom, it will be as high quality as your great-grandfather's, but you won't be afraid to wear it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy