Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beldtaff A-2 civilian

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
It was a British brand, quite similar to Barbour, from the 1920s which was focused on outdoor and motorcycle wares.

I may be slightly out on dates but the brand/name was sold off in the early 00's and bought by a fashion company focused more on high end prices, but it did and always has maintained some good qualilty motorcycle wear on a seperate range. The brand has since been sold on twice though as despite the high prices charged nobody seems to have managed to make a go of things.

I like a lot of their leathers, many here don't but then they are not aimed specifically at the historically correct repro/period market, I'd imagine it will be quite lightweight and fashion cut. I would agree that their jackets are well overpriced from new.

They did a range of jackets as a tie in to The Aviator film a few years ago, one was listed in the classifieds here the other day. I think this model came after that though.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
A-2 jacket from Belstaff? Not recommended here I guess. With the price you pay for their jackets, you can get a very decent repro with horsehide.

I do have a jacket made by Belstaff, quality is as good as some of the top makers around here at the forum as most of their jackets are made in Italy these days, but they are more tuned to the fashion styles and usually not made with the hides that we like here. In my opinion, they are certainly better than your average mall jackets and even better than some high fashion brands such as Prada or YSL.

robrinay

One Too Many
A good repro of an A2 would have a one piece back like the real thing, but this one has two panels so I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
This jacket also has handwarmer pockets, snaps on the top and bottom of the windflap, three-piece sleeves, an inside wallet pocket, incorrect lining, etc. Very much an "A-2 inspired" jacket.

There's nothing wrong with that - my most-worn jacket is a Gibson & Barnes Civil A-2 with some of the same features - but it's a poor choice if you want a good A-2 repro rather than just a vaguely A-2-ish jacket.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Like almost every other leather jacket maker on the planet Belstaff does a flying jacket or a leather bomber. Its pattern strays from WW2 flying jacket a lot more than some. I think most people who buy Belstaff would not care a jot they are after a look, not specifics.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
And don't bother to look at the price tag before they take it up to the check out...

Yes, Besltaff is very overpriced for high end mall jackets. But I've only seen a few examples so maybe some are better. I personally think of Belstaff as a corporate brand worn by sports stars and show biz figures, chosen for them by stylists who go for obviousness.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I recall my eldest brother owning a waxed Belstaff bike jacket back in the 80s and that was a heavy bit of kit. Not sure about the current stuff, whether there is a 'serious biker' line and a 'fashion' line, but the ones I have tried on would not give you much protection if you were to hit the tarmac in them. With Belstaff, you have to factor in the likes of the huge Bond Street flagship store and Ewan MacGregor advertising campaigns.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, it was in classified last week ad looks like it might fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dogs bollocks

Familiar Face
It was a British brand, quite similar to Barbour, from the 1920s which was focused on outdoor and motorcycle wares.

I may be slightly out on dates but the brand/name was sold off in the early 00's and bought by a fashion company focused more on high end prices, but it did and always has maintained some good qualilty motorcycle wear on a seperate range. The brand has since been sold on twice though as despite the high prices charged nobody seems to have managed to make a go of things.

I like a lot of their leathers, many here don't but then they are not aimed specifically at the historically correct repro/period market, I'd imagine it will be quite lightweight and fashion cut. I would agree that their jackets are well overpriced from new.

They did a range of jackets as a tie in to The Aviator film a few years ago, one was listed in the classifieds here the other day. I think this model came after that though.

Made in Italy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The dogs bollocks

Familiar Face
What is a Belstaff A2 civilian? I am ny familiar with the brand.

My opinion...quality vs price paid ...extremely poor. If buying ensure you try on or size up. They are very small per size. I’ve had to go up two sizes to get the right fit.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
My opinion...quality vs price paid ...extremely poor. If buying ensure you try on or size up. They are very small per size. I’ve had to go up two sizes to get the right fit.

Belstaff jackets are not as bad as some of you think, I seriously believe that there is huge prejudice against certain brands here (Such as Lewis). Yes, Belstaffs are fashion jackets, they are not meant to protect you against any bike accidents, but at least they are not something made by child labours somewhere in China or Vietnam. It is simply targeting a different market than Aero or Vanson as if some like Harley and some like Ducati and the rest like Japanese, completely different spectrum.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Would not compare though?
One made in Italy and style first quality so so
Second traditional English country where quality is first and designs are timeless.

Heading off on a tangent here but all the recent jackets I've had/seen from Barbour have been made in Europe; Bulgaria, Turkey, Lituania ect.

I would say the Belstaff jackets I've had are generally better made than the Barbour ones are today, with better and more durable materials. I say that as a fan of both brands to a degree - In my experience Barbour makes a lot more 'to cost' fashion items these days as they've moved themselves into more of a 'lifestyle brand'.

Belstaff jackets are not as bad as some of you think, I seriously believe that there is huge prejudice against certain brands here (Such as Lewis). Yes, Belstaffs are fashion jackets, they are not meant to protect you against any bike accidents, but at least they are not something made by child labours somewhere in China or Vietnam. It is simply targeting a different market than Aero or Vanson as if some like Harley and some like Ducati and the rest like Japanese, completely different spectrum.

I'd agree with most of that, but to add Belstaff do also make motorcyle specific jackets with armour and such, I've never been in a Belsaff store but I've been in several motorcyle stores that stock these. They used to do some heavy duty leathers too but I've not seen those the last two or three years. I have an earlier version of the attached current model here. Mines about 8 or so years old now and is as good as the day I bought it - Its been well worn and remains my go to winter jacket as its not super heavy nor restiticve but is waterproof and, with the removable liner and pockets, usefull for traveling and changes in weather if you can only take one jacket... These used to be about a 1/3 of the price of the fashion leathers as well but it looks like they've crept up a little since I bought mine.

Attachments

• 10oz_trialmaster_DK.jpg
    10oz_trialmaster_DK.jpg
    667 KB · Views: 164

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails