Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
I myself am no expert at measuring berets ;) but I can say I had my doubts: how much "stretch" the beret, which point to start from (berets tend to lie in a non perfectly round shape, of course) etc.
I'd bet that actually JB's beret is not that different from my owns, maybe simply differently measured?

Daan

Vendor
Since talking about Italian berets, here are some great photographs of Italian academic, poet, critic and essayist Giuseppe Ungaretti. An Italian who knew how to wear a beret (whether it was one of Antonio Setti's, I don't know...).

UNGARETTI.jpg
20070409114455.jpg
images

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
One things that amazes me is how many different impressions berets give to different people (or based on how you wear one):
artist, peasant, worker, military, even criminal (I already recalled ho my grandpa used his beret as a way to hide a gun, which I couldn't really appreciate before buying a larger beret ;) )

one of the most strange, to me, is the "priestly" impression berets apparently create, according to someone; and actually I do remember some old priest wearing one, though I couldn't elaborate the causes of their choice (maybe simply because it was cheap, practical and sober).
Not that this stops me wearing one.
:)

DNO

One Too Many
I normally post about fedoras but today, faced with the rapid approach of old man winter, I was digging out my cold weather stuff. There amongst the gloves, scarves etc, was my Vrai Basque beret...one of my regular winter 'go-to' hats. It's an old friend and one of my favourite hats.

Screenshot2011-10-23at71736PM.png

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
What about this?
BascoFrancese.jpg

BascoFrancese2.jpg

BascoFrancese3.jpg

BascoFrancese4.jpg

BascoFrancese5.jpg

still wearable, or already just too big?

( I think that given its size and diameter this beret would qualify as a "medium" large, but I'm small headed ;) and on the short side :) ...)

ciao!

Heinrich

New in Town
still wearable, or already just too big?

( I think that given its size and diameter this beret would qualify as a "medium" large, but I'm small headed ;) and on the short side :) ...)

ciao!

To my opinion, this beret suits you fine! It's just the perfect size, and you can wear it in any way you showed on the pictures above. I have an 11 inch Elosegui beret, which looks quite the same size in relation to my head.

Corto

A-List Customer
"DNO", I also have a Vrai Basque. It fits me almost exactly like yours fits your. I love it.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I bought my first beret as a boy on a school visit to Cherbourg in the 70s. It's a Royal Basque in dense navy wool felt. It's worn now and a bit small so I recently bought a 'Splendid' beret with it's original box on EBay. It dates from the 50s and is a worthy replacement.
It gets daily wear in all but the warmest weather.

Thank you the nice note and comment. When I looked at this picture I recollected a photograph of Marc Chagall wearing a beret... I looked for it but couldn't find the one in my memory.

luc-fournol-portrait-de-marc-chagall.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Thank you the nice note and comment. When I looked at this picture I recollected a photograph of Marc Chagall wearing a beret... I looked for it but couldn't find the one in my memory.

Nice photo (and a beautiful painting).

Daan

Vendor

The only picture I managed to find of Marc Chagall wearing a beret is of his 'Self Portrait with Brushes' (1909 or 1910).

chagall-selfportrait+with+brushes+1909-10.jpg

However, I did find a photograph of Chagall together with his first wife Belle, and she definitely wears a beret.

Chagall+002.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here's a couple of pictures of my Cardu Basque beret;
205tu7s.jpg

kdjrr6.jpg
, I haven't got one of the top as it's well a round black circle and doesn't show anything, sweat band is leatherette, I bought it off a lady who hadf bought an old hat shop in France and it had a load of these NOS/deastock from the 1930's/40's, it is just under 300mm in diameter or 12".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou