Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Benproof

A-List Customer
Wow Daan.

Very impressive! A true peak that pulls from under the cap ... not stitched on as an afterthought!

You can tell it was made for hot climates - the peak will offer much better shade than our English newsboys or Failsworth style caps.

I used to wear caps for bad hair days. Now I wear them for no hair days :D

leftyguy

New in Town
For those who own both a super lujo and a auloronesa: does the auloronesa give the feeling of a fixed size hat, or does it also stretch a bit?

I have a large head (7 5/8ths) but my Auloronesa has stretched nicely with regular use & removal of the satin drawstring altogether. The edge of the beret comes "turned over" & stitched, unlike my Boinas Elósegui 150 anniversary beret, which has a "raw" edge. I think the Auloronosa solution works better for stretching & wearing (its easier to fold under at the back to put on my head).
As for the casquette....my 1st beret, much loved & still worn occasionally...but once you've progressed to the real thing its hard to revert!

Last edited:

NoHorse

One of the Regulars
Leftyguy

Thank you for the description and picture. Interesting that you have removed the drawstring!

I have just looked at the Auloronesa website and discovered that the smallest "plateau" they offer is 265mm. That is the size of the Super Lujo I have, and I'm actually wanting a slightly smaller size. I found that Ron Greer sells the SL in 254 mm, so thats what I'e just ordered.
(Notice how I'm edging into this mania - I'm not getting another beret because it's a different brand/color/style - oh no! - it's because it's a size that will fit me "better". :p )

RJR thanks for pointing out that Daan has weekly sales. I see I've missed a special on one of his custom berets that looked nice. I will have to keep an eye on his website.

NoHorse

One of the Regulars
Daan,

Do you have any kind of newsletter announcing the specials? If you don't, set one up - I'd be the first person on your mailing list. I'd hate to miss out on an aotearoa special that would my kind of size!

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
Daan,

Do you have any kind of newsletter announcing the specials? If you don't, set one up - I'd be the fist person on your mailing list. I'd hate to miss out on an aotearoa special that would my kind of size!

Hello NoHorse,

Yes, I do have a newsletter which comes out some 5 times a year. If you, or anyone else here, want to be added to the list, drop me a line. A newsletter for the weekly specials... That would be a bit much, but they are always announced of the Beret Facebook page.
Presently, all GREEN, from the French béret Printemps, via numerous gaucho boinas Tolosa Tupida to the luxurious Auloronesas.
Vert%2BAmande%2B-%2BVert%2Bde%2BGris.jpg
safe_image.php

Reactions: RJR

Daan

Vendor
A few thoughts on the Blues...

noun
1. the blues, (used with a plural verb) depressed spirits; despondency; melancholy:
This rainy spell is giving me the blues.

2. (used with a singular verb) Jazz.

1. a song, originating with American blacks, that is marked by the frequent occurrence of blue notes, and that takes the basic form,customarily improvised upon in performance, of a 12-bar chorus consisting of a 3-line stanza with the second line repeating the first.
  2. the genre constituting such songs.
3. Beret (Basque and Military style) in navy and lighter blue shades; principally in felted merino wool - also in cotton and a variety of recycled fibers.

Well, focussing on definition #2, there is not much that can beat the blues as drummed by Fred Below (here with J.B. Lenoir:
Fred Below was a consistent beret wearer, of course, and a good role model for many bluesmen after him.
Fred%20Below%20(Chicago%201970s).jpg

Anyway, when searching for some interesting blues related material to accompany the present
SPECIAL on BLUES, I found these neoprene berets by California designer Alexandra Cassaniti. On her web site I read that her designs are all about ecology, being one with nature... Ignorant I may be, but I thought neoprene is among the worst materials as far as "ecologically sound" goes.
Cassaniti-BeretBlue2.jpg
Cassaniti-BeretD1.jpg

Everyone his or her own preferences, of course, but personally I'd rather wear an artisan handmade beret of 100% merino sheepwool (especially when in California...

And yes, for those interested in blue berets that are made in ecologically and environmentally sound practice, have a look at some good deals here (over the next week or as long as stock lasts).

Daan

Vendor
A neoprene beret? I have to wonder what their market research told them. If the "sell" photo is anything to go by, they're gonna have a hard time moving those things.

Yep, you'd think you couldn't find much worse than a neoprene beret, but believe me, you can:
baret%20shower%20cap.jpg
6a00d8341c5dea53ef01310f2c59c1970c-pi
31jH3YxNyzL._SY300_.jpg

At least, they'd keep you dry in a good downpour...

foamy

A-List Customer
I was going to suggest that the only thing a neoprene beret would be good for is a shower cap. I see that angle is covered.

It was a long weekend and an all beret weekend. I wore all of my good ones for a day. When it's really breezing up (Friday), I like the small 265 Super Lujo and/or the Hoquy which comes in at 11". Both are also good "driving" berets. Sunny and a bit of wind? The 300mm Ano 1858—nice stretch—stays on in a breeze and gives nice shade. Light and sunny? My favorite, the 295 Aurolonesa. Good fit and the flop/feel on that beret is about perfect. It'll take whatever shape you give it. I'm feeling an urge for one of the larger ones. How daring am I?

NoHorse

One of the Regulars
Neoprene is just so... wrong.

My Super Lujo continues to wear in. This morning the material seemed almost rough. I don't know if it was just me this morning, of if the hard weather I've been wearing it in has made the surface expand, like wood grain when wood gets wet. We shall see.

Still better than neoprene!:)

PS Thanks for the newsletter Daan

Daan

Vendor
This week a SPECIAL that will appeal to the more bold and daring among boineros (without going straight for a Plato Grande in bright yellow or purple): my personal favourite colour of RUST. Rust is a brown-orange-red colour, resembling iron-oxide, or indeed: RUST.
12771467_1118902291494443_986412069724475938_o.jpg

Le Béret Français has a nice selection of rust shades: the Orange-Rust hunters' beret; the Printemps (for warmer weather, made of 100% recycled fibers like cotton, linen, silk, etc) in a darker Red-Rust and the brand new Citrouille with the trademark contrasting cabilliou (in green).
12768379_1118902278161111_6466705325136313584_o.jpg

From Laulhere comes the Cuir (leather) with the classic Bortia label, while Boinas Elosegui brings the Tomatete - an un-lined beret in slightly smaller diameter of 27.5cm.
Top of the range are, of course, the Auloronesa and Aotearoa models - majestic berets of unbeatable quality and comfort.
Rust%20rug.jpg.opt330x219o0%2C0s330x219.jpg
IMG_20150514_173923321_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150509_125817002_HDR2%2Bsmall.jpg

Only for as long as the stock lasts for a limited time - get yours here!

NoHorse

One of the Regulars
Two questions for all the beret fans:

1 there is an Auloronesa with a headband made of a soft, high quality leather. How well does this type of beret roll up for stowing? I've had a Splendid years ago, with the traditional stiffer headband, and I ended up not using it much.

2 what experiences do people have with beret shrinkage? Do berets ever shrink to such an extent that the external diameter effectively becomes smaller? Can berets be shrunk on purpose (hot water?) What happens to the lining if they shrink?

I'm eyeing the ano 1858' but 280mm is just waaaay to flamboyant for me!

Daan

Vendor
Two questions for all the beret fans:

1 there is an Auloronesa with a headband made of a soft, high quality leather. How well does this type of beret roll up for stowing? I've had a Splendid years ago, with the traditional stiffer headband, and I ended up not using it much.

2 what experiences do people have with beret shrinkage? Do berets ever shrink to such an extent that the external diameter effectively becomes smaller? Can berets be shrunk on purpose (hot water?) What happens to the lining if they shrink?

I'm eyeing the ano 1858' but 280mm is just waaaay to flamboyant for me!

Hello NoHorse,

1. Rolling a beret with headband is never a great idea (one of the advantages of a headband-less beret), but if you compare an Auloronesa with headband with any other headbanded beret, the Auloronesa simply is best at dealing with folding and rolling.
2. Answering your 2nd question immediately refers to your first question. All berets will shrink over time. Simply said, the more expensive models are generally also the berets made of denser wool and have been felted for longer, therefore showing less shrinkage than a cheap, loosely knitted felted Chinese made beret. However, because all berets do shrink, a headbanded beret has to be fitted with a fairly stiff, rigid kind of leather. It has to withstand the shrinkage of the felted wool it is attached to, to maintain the correct size.
Boneteria Auloronesa berets are knitted in a different way (a manner developed, and kept very secret by the manufacturer) that minimizes shrinkage so much, that a band of much softer, suppler leather can be applied.
However, if in between sizes, it is usually best to choose the larger option, keeping some (minimal) shrinkage in mind.
And yes, you can certainly shrink a beret with hot water. In principal: don't! If you feel you have to for whatever reason, do it slowly and step by step, a little at a time, as you may otherwise end ups with a doll's beret. In the past, I have shrunk the headopening of some berets (not headbanded) that were too wide for me, by dunking that specific area in boiling water for 10-15 seconds at a time, until pleased with the result. Not easy to maintain the complete circular shape though.
As for the lining; any "normal" shrinkage won't have a visible effect on the lining. We're talking mm's here...

The Exposición Año 1858 too
flamboyant..? Why? The quality sits in the comfort, waterproofness and the eye for detail with which it was made, but from an outsider's perspective, it looks like a pretty ordinary black beret I would say. And 280mm is a very standard, moderate diameter.

foamy

A-List Customer
snip...I'm eyeing the ano 1858' but 280mm is just waaaay to flamboyant for me!
Nice beret. I'm wearing the Año 1858/300mm today in fine rain. It keeps the the rain off of my glasses. It has the thickest/stiffest felt of any of my berets—perfect for foul weather. 280 is just enough to give you a bit of material to move around—some might say an ideal size.

I've found that folks take a harder look when I'm wearing a beret (no matter the diameter) than with any other hat.

I started kind of small and have gradually gotten bigger—I'm beginning to think the larger sizes are more versatile. But that's just me. I wear berets in place of ball caps.

Ano 1858.jpg

NoHorse

One of the Regulars
Well now I think that beret suits your style very well!

As for me personally I would only wear a beret that large if I was in my apartment.

Alone.

In a room with no mirrors.

In the dark.

:D:D:D

But maybe the word to remember is shrink. No, not dealing with the inside of my head (though that might mitigate my beret 'problem') but dealing with the size of a large beret. A colleague is going to Spain in April... It's an opportunity I may find irresistable.

Interesting that you find people giving you a harder look when you wear a beret. Have you also worn other hats? Are you comparing the beret response to a bare head response, or to another kind of hat response? I ask because I have found people more welcoming when I wear a beret than when I wear a fedora.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy