Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Nico

One of the Regulars
Much as I would have liked to wear a straw hat on the "official" Straw Hat Day—it wasn't in the cards. Abnormally cool temps and a 20+ knot breeze all day made it a great day to try out the blue Etchea/Laulhére. I guess I must like it. I put it on in the morning to run some errands and it never came off except to dine. I was still wearing it that evening. As always, quite comfortable and I admit to liking the bright blue—the color jumps when out in the sun.
View attachment 49849

Blue beret looks great on you foamy. I like the coloured berets. I will most likely invest in one as well.

Daan

Vendor
.... and I admit to liking the bright blue—the color jumps when out in the sun.
View attachment 49849

It's interesting that when looking for berets in blue, 99% of options are in navy. Navy blue got its name from the dark blue (contrasted with white) worn by officers in the British Royal Navy since 1748 and subsequently adopted by other navies around the world.
Txapela%20%20navy.jpg.opt203x200o0%2C0s203x200.jpg
Authentique%20marine.JPG.opt204x200o0%2C0s204x200.JPG
Espinosa%20sized%20navy.JPG.opt202x194o0%2C0s202x194.JPG

However, there are a few exceptions, like the classic Laulhere Etchea label shown by Foamy in a rich, deep blue.
Le Béret Français has a range of blue shades, like denim and the more vibrant Royal Blue:
LBF01006,le-bret-franais,bret-homme-denim.jpg
2013BLA10012,beret-bleu-roi.jpg

The Argentinian boinas Tolosa Tupida have an even larger range of blues: midnight-blue in merino wool, while in cotton there are sky-blue, jeans and Blue-on-White.
upload_2016-5-17_16-41-22.jpeg
upload_2016-5-17_16-42-7.jpeg
images
upload_2016-5-17_16-45-59.jpeg

Needless to say, there are many, many more options in navy...

foamy

A-List Customer
Blue beret looks great on you foamy. I like the coloured berets. I will most likely invest in one as well.
Thanks fellas, Nico. I had to talk myself into that blue, but I chose it on purpose—because it wasn't navy. Not that there's anything wrong with navy, no—I just wanted to step a little out of my comfort zone and navy would have been a "safer" choice. The Royal Blue surprised me a bit, but in a good way as it turned out. Now that I'm (happily) over that decision, I can see some more colors in the future.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
foamy - I didn't notice your photo of the blue beret yesterday, but I did find myself a blue one in my favorite thrift store yesterday. And am wearing it today.
P1180356 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
It's a PRT Ultrabasque Deluxe. My first sewing project was actually a series of fulled wool berets in a slightly different blue.

Michael

foamy

A-List Customer
foamy - I didn't notice your photo of the blue beret yesterday, but I did find myself a blue one in my favorite thrift store yesterday. And am wearing it today.
P1180356 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
It's a PRT Ultrabasque Deluxe. My first sewing project was actually a series of fulled wool berets in a slightly different blue.

Michael
That's a real nice find, Michael! Looks like we're fully on a blue jag, here. I've seen and appreciated some of your work in the hats thread. If you have the opportunity, post some of your beret work here. More is merrier!

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Thanks foamy. I was quite happy to stumble onto the blue beret yesterday. And I must say it's very comfortable on the head. Here is a picture of the first or second beret I made.
bottom sized by Michael A2012, on Flickr
It's seamed construction since I didn't felt my own wool. I made it out of a woman's fulled wool coat and used the coat's lining for lining. That turned out to be a not very good choice for lining as it's not very color fast. I used a piece of suede leather salvaged from an old sport coat for the edge binding. Not very sophisticated work, but it has served me well on quite a few occasions.
on side view by Michael A2012, on Flickr

I do confess a particular fondness for rich blue colors.

Daan

Vendor
I wonder what the appropriate superlative of "very heavy rain" would be; raining cats & dogs, downpour, deluge, cloudburst, don't do justice to the rain presently falling in Wellington. Flooded streets in the hilly part of the city where I live, continuous sirens of fire engines and when generously offering my daughter a ride to school by car this morning, I had to make a fast decision on how to keep my head dry on the 100 meters to the car and similarly between parking and post office on the way.
TA4QvdaRKPuQ3lhfB9wTcAroMt8@500x263.gif
SL%20Green%2063.jpg.opt199x196o0%2C0s199x196.jpg

Lucky I went for the best in these conditions: a plato grande Super Lujo. As more people had the bright idea to use their car instead of walking, parking space was scarce, I got drenched - all but my head, the inside of my beret remained dry as a bone!

2897400484.jpg

Of course, rain (be it drizzle, shower or downpour) and berets share a long history. The high average rainfall on the northern slopes of the Pyrenees being pretty much part of why there are berets in the first place. However, life for a shepherd in the high Pyrenees was in optima forma when he also had the use of a parapluie de bergers (a 'shepherds umbrella'). These are solid affairs, the equivalent of a Tarte Chasseur in umbrella terms, made from heavy cloth and typically fitted with a beech handle.
schema.jpg
1328813551-pub-ossau-parapluie.JPG

They are still made in Béarn; Christophe Pando in Pau the last of the traditional manufacturers.
Typically, the umbrellas are carried on the back when not in use (keeping the hands free), the handle hanging from the collar of cape or jacket.
abuelo+boina+paraguas.jpg
apreton-manos-1.jpg

That custom spread across the mountains. This sculpture stands in Cantabria (Spain).
Or you get your dog to carry it for you, of course...

1e76753b.jpg

Nico

One of the Regulars
Thanks fellas, Nico. I had to talk myself into that blue, but I chose it on purpose—because it wasn't navy. Not that there's anything wrong with navy, no—I just wanted to step a little out of my comfort zone and navy would have been a "safer" choice. The Royal Blue surprised me a bit, but in a good way as it turned out. Now that I'm (happily) over that decision, I can see some more colors in the future.

Hi foamy. Excellent choice my friend. Now that you have modelled the blue beret I will score one in due course. Also looking at green one.

foamy

A-List Customer
Thanks foamy. I was quite happy to stumble onto the blue beret yesterday. And I must say it's very comfortable on the head. Here is a picture of the first or second beret I made.
bottom sized by Michael A2012, on Flickr
It's seamed construction since I didn't felt my own wool. I made it out of a woman's fulled wool coat and used the coat's lining for lining. That turned out to be a not very good choice for lining as it's not very color fast. I used a piece of suede leather salvaged from an old sport coat for the edge binding. Not very sophisticated work, but it has served me well on quite a few occasions.
on side view by Michael A2012, on Flickr

I do confess a particular fondness for rich blue colors.
Nice work Michael!

foamy

A-List Customer
View attachment 49922
One of Daan's Czech models in navy.
Nice! I like it.

Hi foamy. Excellent choice my friend. Now that you have modelled the blue beret I will score one in due course. Also looking at green one.
Thinking about a green as well, something khaki-ish, maybe? Though, that Super Lujo, pictured above in Daan's post looks pretty nice.

Speaking of the torrent in Wellington, Daan, I'm surprised you didn't go for the txapeldun—that's one that has some serious coverage.

On the opposite end, I'm wearing my smallest today; the 265cm Super Lujo. Felt like the right day for it.

NoHorse

One of the Regulars
...... However, life for a shepherd in the high Pyrenees was in optima forma when he also had the use of a parapluie de bergers (a 'shepherds umbrella'). These are solid affairs, the equivalent of a Tarte Chasseur in umbrella terms, made from heavy cloth and typically fitted with a beech handle.

They are still made in Béarn; Christophe Pando in Pau the last of the traditional manufacturers.

We need to start an umbrella forum! :)

Nico

One of the Regulars
Day off work today to see the orthopedic surgeon. Alas ,I was told that I need surgery on my knee :(.
Walking always helps me clear my head. It’s especially therapeutic if you choose to walk wearing a beret. :)
Our first cool autumn day in my part of Australia so on this occasion wore my red auloronesa.
IMG_2459.jpg

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
Day off work today to see the orthopedic surgeon. Alas ,I was told that I need surgery on my knee :(.
Walking always helps me clear my head. It’s especially therapeutic if you choose to walk wearing a beret. :)
Our first cool autumn day in my part of Australia so on this occasion wore my red auloronesa.
View attachment 50062

I feel for you, Nico.
20130910_185200.jpg

Herewith evidence of the therapeutic qualities of my (black) Auloronesa, recovering from the operation on my knee.

Nico

One of the Regulars
I feel for you, Nico.
20130910_185200.jpg

Herewith evidence of the therapeutic qualities of my (black) Auloronesa, recovering from the operation on my knee.
Hi Daan,
Looks like the beret has many uses, versatile headware , reality shield, weather protection, fashion statement and healing properties.
I will wear my black auloronesa post surgery. ;)

Last edited:
Berets are still great, next to the classic-flatcaps. All best wishes, gents! :)

But, are there really universal berets around, with additional water-repellent facilities, like on both of my flatcaps (one classic impregnated, one Sympatex)?

foamy

A-List Customer
View attachment 50062
Dang, sorry to hear about your knee. This getting older busines ain't for sissys. On the other hand, you look good in that red beret. Is that the rust?

My other Czech beret is a Khaki-ish color that I've come to like,Foamy. View attachment 50010
That's just about the color I was thinking of. Looking real good there. Czech, eh? I'll look into it.

Berets are still great, next to the classic-flatcaps. All best wishes, gents! :)

But, are there really universal berets around, with additional water-repellent facilities, like on both of my flatcaps (one classic impregnated, one Sympatex)?
I'll let Daan answer that one with some detail, but yes. I do know some use Teflon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy