Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Heinrich

New in Town
No need for a courier on a moped. I certainly would have, but my German 'neighbours' were all too keen to come themselves across the border, enjoy Dutch hospitality and get their quota.

That's right! I grew up in Bonn, and it's only about an hour from there to the Dutch border. Some of my friends spent a lot of their weekends in this wonderful country, where the grass is much greener - and much cheaper!

By the way - it's amazing, how you always find a suitable image with a beret for every subject, Daan!

Last edited:

Michael C

New in Town
Buying direct from Boinas Elosegui

I started wearing a beret about twelve years ago when my French neighbor lady returned from one of her trips home bearing me the gift of a Hoquy Beret Basque. What a wonderful gift!

Now, wanting to get another beret and fancying a model from Boinas Elosegui of Spain, I explored getting one direct from the manufacturer and discovered it to be far less expensive that I had thought.

So yesterday I ordered a Super Lujo – a 12.5” model with a leather headband and Euskalherria label in a size 63. The cost was 27 EUR for the beret, 18 EUR for shipping (a bit steep), but get this: ZERO for the money transfer. That’s right, the money transfer cost me nothing!!!

The transfer was handled by Western Union which offered me (I live in NYC) a choice of five online delivery options. Naturally I chose the cheapest at $0. Actually, Western Union’s fee depends on where you live. I live in NYC, so I got lucky. Had I lived in Los Angeles the lowest cost to transfer 45 EUR to Spain would have been $10; if Canada, CAD 14, if UK, GBP 4.9; if Australia then it’s a bit stiffer at AUS 20.

If, like me, you want to deal directly with the manufacturer, especially of this fine company, then by all means check out www.boinaselosegui.com, or email boinaselosegui@facilnet.es and ask for a catalog. It’s a 6-page PDF in both English and Spanish. Then, if you’re lucky like me, Covadonga who is most kind and very helpful will respond and guide you through the process.

Best to all,

Michael

Daan

Vendor
I started wearing a beret about twelve years ago when my French neighbor lady returned from one of her trips home bearing me the gift of a Hoquy Beret Basque. What a wonderful gift!

Now, wanting to get another beret and fancying a model from Boinas Elosegui of Spain, I explored getting one direct from the manufacturer and discovered it to be far less expensive that I had thought.

So yesterday I ordered a Super Lujo – a 12.5” model with a leather headband and Euskalherria label in a size 63. The cost was 27 EUR for the beret, 18 EUR for shipping (a bit steep), but get this: ZERO for the money transfer. That’s right, the money transfer cost me nothing!!!

The transfer was handled by Western Union which offered me (I live in NYC) a choice of five online delivery options. Naturally I chose the cheapest at $0. Actually, Western Union’s fee depends on where you live. I live in NYC, so I got lucky. Had I lived in Los Angeles the lowest cost to transfer 45 EUR to Spain would have been $10; if Canada, CAD 14, if UK, GBP 4.9; if Australia then it’s a bit stiffer at AUS 20.

If, like me, you want to deal directly with the manufacturer, especially of this fine company, then by all means check out www.boinaselosegui.com, or email boinaselosegui@facilnet.es and ask for a catalog. It’s a 6-page PDF in both English and Spanish. Then, if you’re lucky like me, Covadonga who is most kind and very helpful will respond and guide you through the process.

Best to all,

Michael

Interesting to see, another comparison similar to the one of the Basco Roma's a few days ago. What does it tell us?
That it is (for 99% of customers) cheaper to buy from South Pacific Berets than to order directly from the factory (despite a 'small diversion' via New Zealand).
At today's exchange rate, 45 Euros (the price for the boina + postage) equals US $ 58.92. If you are unlucky to not live in New York City, you'd have to add a minimum of $ 10.00 transfer costs with Western Union, making it $ 68.92. SPB's Super Lujo's start at $ 49.00 and the most expensive version (with headband) costs $ 55.00. With a maximum postage of $ 12.25 to anywhere in the world, you'd pay 67.25.
And yes, I am happy about this - South Pacific Berets is to a large extend a 'labour of love', not a big money generating business.

Irun+sign.jpg

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From the USA one could also purchase a Boines Elosegui beret from Ron Greer in Washington here for much less than the cost of purchasing direct from the factory or from South Pacific Berets. South Pacific Berets does have the advantage of a large selection of berets by other manufacturers however.

I personally wouldn't by a Boinas Elosegui beret from Daan due to the higher cost and longer distance but I like his Argentinean Tolosa Tupida berets and haven't been able to find them anywhere else.

Daan

Vendor
A couple of days in the Odenwald. Hiking, taking pictures and very good food

_A230602_cr.jpg

Great photograph of the photographer! The beret has always been the headgear of choice for photographers; for Kreissaege obviously, but also for even more famous artists like Nick Ut

Nick+Ut+2.jpg

Herz Frank

latvia+herz_frank1.jpg

and Brassaï

Brassai.jpg

to name only a few. The reason is obvious: no brim or peak that gets in the way, between eye and view-finder (in the pre-digital era).

Michael C

New in Town
Interesting to see, another comparison similar to the one of the Basco Roma's a few days ago. What does it tell us?
That it is (for 99% of customers) cheaper to buy from South Pacific Berets than to order directly from the factory (despite a 'small diversion' via New Zealand).
At today's exchange rate, 45 Euros (the price for the boina + postage) equals US $ 58.92. If you are unlucky to not live in New York City, you'd have to add a minimum of $ 10.00 transfer costs with Western Union, making it $ 68.92. SPB's Super Lujo's start at $ 49.00 and the most expensive version (with headband) costs $ 55.00. With a maximum postage of $ 12.25 to anywhere in the world, you'd pay 67.25.
And yes, I am happy about this - South Pacific Berets is to a large extend a 'labour of love', not a big money generating business.

Irun+sign.jpg

@Daan

I find your quote of $55.00 for “the most expensive version (with headband)” very interesting. In a recent private exchange of emails (see below), you quoted me about $85.00 for the same model. Am I perhaps missing something here?

Michael

>> From: The Beret Project
>> Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:53 PM
>> To: Michael C
>> Subject: Boina Super Lujo
>>
>> Dear Michael,
>>
>> As I wrote to you yesterday, it will be a while before I'll order more French berets. At present though,
>> I am putting an order together for the Spanish Boinas Elosegui.
>> I don't usually order the Spanish berets with headbands, but if you'd like, I could add a boina Super
>> Lujo with headband in size 63. These berets come in a variety of diameters. If you would like me to do
>> this, then please advise what diameter (width) would be your preference. I do have to warn you >>though
>> that these individual orders are quite expensive; I don't have individual sale price ready here, but expect
>> it to be between $75.00 and $85.00. A lot of money, but I do honestly believe it is well worth it.
>>
>> If interested, let me know ASAP. I should have this order in in about 3 weeks time.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Daan

>> From: Michael C
>> Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 8:50 AM
>> To: The Beret Project
>> Subject: Re: Boina Super Lujo
>>
>> What would be the price for the 12.5” model in size 63 in black with headband?
>>
>> Michael

>> Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:49 PM
>>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Haven't hear back from you after my last reply, 8 days ago (sent from my phone which doesn't always work well...).
>> Anyway, new stock from Spain is about to be shipped to me and if you'd like, I can add one boina Super Lujo in
>> size 63. I don't know the exact price, but can guarantee it will not be over >> $85.00 + postage of $12.00 (and likely
>> a bit cheaper). If interested, please let me know ASAP.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>>Daan
>>

Daan

Vendor
@Daan

I find your quote of $55.00 for “the most expensive version (with headband)” very interesting. In a recent private exchange of emails (see below), you quoted me about $85.00 for the same model. Am I perhaps missing something here?

Michael

>>
Up to you, of course, but do you really think this has a place on the forum? I appreciate your humour to call our correspondence a "private exchange" and then publish it on the web!

But the answer to your question is very simple: all the Super Lujo's stocked by South Pacific Berets are $55.00 or under. Period.
When you asked me for a special order, I advised that single orders for me are much more expensive than wholesale (the minimum quantity to get wholesale prices with Boinas Elosegui is one dozen). As I don't have a list of individual retail prices from the manufacturer, I gave you the highest possible price - stating that that would be the very maximum. I have had numerous customers who happily order a specific beret that is not in stock and then decline when the beret arrives and find that the cost is higher than expected.
I did not give you a quote of $85.00, but a detailed explanation of what I expected the cost would be - trying to be helpful. From the correspondence that you found necessary to publish, everyone can see that.

On The Beret Project I posted a little background information on pricing - you might like to have a look at that

Moca

New in Town
@Daan

Michael

>> Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:53 PM
>> Subject: Boina Super Lujo
>>
>> Dear Michael,
>>
>> As I wrote to you yesterday, it will be a while before I'll order more French berets. At present though,
>> I am putting an order together for the Spanish Boinas Elosegui.
>> I don't usually order the Spanish berets with headbands, but if you'd like, I could add a boina Super
>> Lujo with headband in size 63. These berets come in a variety of diameters. If you would like me to do
>> this, then please advise what diameter (width) would be your preference. I do have to warn you >>though
>> that these individual orders are quite expensive; I don't have individual sale price ready here, but expect
>> it to be between $75.00 and $85.00. A lot of money, but I do honestly believe it is well worth it.
>>
>> If interested, let me know ASAP. I should have this order in in about 3 weeks time.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Daan

>> From: Michael C
>> Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 8:50 AM
>> To: The Beret Project
>>
>> What would be the price for the 12.5” model in size 63 in black with headband?
>>
>> Michael

>> Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:49 PM
>>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Haven't hear back from you after my last reply, 8 days ago (sent from my phone which doesn't always work well...).
>> Anyway, new stock from Spain is about to be shipped to me and if you'd like, I can add one boina Super Lujo in
>> size 63. I don't know the exact price, but can guarantee it will not be over >> $85.00 + postage of $12.00 (and likely
>> a bit cheaper). If interested, please let me know ASAP.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>>Daan
>>

Get on with! don't see what your problem is. daans explanation seems totally reasonable to me.
i could publish some correspondence here showing the great service thats my experience with south pacific...
Lets get back to what this forum is meant to be, about berets!

Michael C

New in Town
Indeed it is about berets, but in this particular thread it appears to me to be as much about their selling as their wearing.

True the two do go together, and true again that this is a very informative thread with lots of good photos (thanks to all), but also true is I'm somewhat put off by the heavy and recurrent slant towards the sales end.

But, hey, that's just me.

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Indeed it is about berets, but in this particular thread it appears to me to be as much about their selling as their wearing.

True the two do go together, and true again that this is a very informative thread with lots of good photos (thanks to all), but also true is I'm somewhat put off by the heavy and recurrent slant towards the sales end.

But, hey, that's just me.

Yep, it's just you. Daan does use the thread to promote his beret business, but he's also a genuine expert and enthusiast who clearly sells berets because he loves them and wants to promote them, not because he's trying to make a profit. Having bought one from him, I'm very pleased with the result and with his helpfulness and enthusiasm.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Daan is doing a great work in this thread and in his blog, and I personally don't find that this thread is more "commercial" than other threads focusing i.e. on leather jackets:

obviously for some garments we like there are few good and renowned manufacters and/or dealers and it's unavoidable that sometimes we end up talking about prices etc. but I never felt "compelled" to buy something by someone...

Daan was very helpful with his comments to me even if it was clear that I bought my Basco Roma in Italy, and not by him in new Zealand (from Italy to New Zealand and back to Italy.. that would be an interesting journey for me, anyway!)

ciao! :)

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I enjoy Daan's posts. He does tread close to the line between informing and advertising in my opinion but there's enough info in his posts that the advertising doesn't bother me too much. I posted earlier about Ron Greer's beret selling business because other sellers do seem to get lost among the many posts that Daan makes.

Michael C

New in Town
OK guys, you turned me around. I’m with you now….and with Daan too. I just went to his blog, navigated to his first post back in April 5, 2009, and started reading. (Go to http://beretandboina.blogspot.com. On the right hand side click on 2009. Then click on April. Then at the bottom click on Wisdom. When you get to the bottom of a page, click on Newer Posts.)

I didn’t read them all (yet) but there are many hundreds of entries here and even more photographs, all on our favorite subject, and clearly his too. In fact I’d say the guy is obsessed. But wonderfully so and all to our benefit. It’s a most magnificent website. Sure, Daan may be selling berets out of his trunk, but he’s got a warehouse full of knowledge – only a fraction of which has made its way onto this thread. So I heartily recommend any seeker of beret lore to head over and explore his blog – and definitely start at the beginning with his first entry. But you’d better prepare yourself a big pot of coffee beforehand, because it may take a while.

And, Daan, many thanks for keeping this thread alive and kicking.

Michael

Daan

Vendor
Thanks to all for the very positive feedback! A humbling experience (and much appreciated).
But let's get on with business (in the sense of "news about berets" of course, not the commercial aspect...).

I just received a new addition to my collection: a custom made, hand felted, skipper's beret in pure -untreated- Shetland wool.
It all started by finding this picture of traditional Shetland boat skipper Ian:

Shetlander+Ian.jpg

How could I not be impressed? I tracked down the maker, Laryna Wupperman, who works with the Galgael charity in Glasgow, Scotland and has her own blog on 'creative fiber craft'.
Laryna was happy to make a second skipper beret for me, a huge undertaking (I have to admit, I didn't realize just how much time is involved making one of these giants).

photo+(11).JPG
photo+(4).JPG

I received mine a few days ago and it is fantastic! It came with a power-point presentation detailing the whole process (and as soon as I figure out how to post it on this forum, I will do so).
Needless to say, at 390mm diameter this beret dwarfs txapelduns and plato grandes; one could outfit an army of Basco Roma's with the material that went into this beret (including the tiny fragments of grass, still present in the wool)!
If anyone is interested in a majestic beret like this one, please drop me a line and I'll forward all messages to Laryna.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran