Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Daan

Vendor
Per his website they're $50.00+shipping.

You beat me to it, RJR - thanks for the quick response. Yes, the Béret Héritage sells at $ 50.00 and you'll find it here.

2015-1-8-1.jpg
0051-460x259.jpg

Daan

Vendor
Laulhère is the main supplier of berets to the 28 country strong NATO military, next to the many armies of other countries on five continents. Laulhère has now launched a web site, specifically for their military line of production. It describes the manufacturing process, the pure merino wool that is used for making berets, the various options for military berets and more.

[video=youtube;jrGmP6Lf1kE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrGmP6Lf1kE[/video]

At the same time, Laulhère commissioned a video clip on how to shape their Commando berets. Irish born sales director Mark Saunders does a good job detailing how to get the desired effects in your military beret.
Presently, there are only a few Commando berets in stock at South Pacific Berets; some green berets as issued to the Foreign Legion and Navy Infantry Commandos (here) and two individual berets in red (Para) and black in the One-Offs Section (here).
One word of caution: some customers have not quite anticipated the very small plateau (diameter) of these berets; these berets are sitting more on the head, than pulled over the head. Before wearing it for the first time, the beret needs some stretching and nudging to get to the correct size.

img_5910.jpg
ALMI6505-1----Copy.jpg

Daan

Vendor
On this 10th April, 2015 (DEER Basque factory Kongo-Shokai Ltd. already closed down), South Pacific Berets received the very last berets made by the famous manufacturer from Kobe; berets made with the last material available during the factory's last days. Berets that we had not stocked before, but are -in the tradition of the wool and linen DEER Basques- small pieces of art in their own right.

11082632_944342722283735_6953039286860925158_n.jpg
11146526_944342382283769_455237434489624750_n.jpg

DEER Summer Basques, made of a finely knit, breathing polyester, fitted with an ultra light mesh lining and topped off with the silver DEER Basque 'Light' embroidered label. These very first are at the same time the very last - what's in stock now is all there is and will never be replaced (and most colour/size combinations are only available in ones or two's).

11146341_944342698950404_6477653122659556248_o.jpg

To those who, like me at first, have their doubts about non-wool / non-cotton berets, I would say "Try! I'd guarantee you'll be pleasantly surprised!".

Daan

Vendor
The Making of a Laulhère Béret

[video=youtube;E-lpXmWIdac]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-lpXmWIdac&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Another of Laulhère's videos, showing the making of their berets, detailing how a single thread of merino wool turns into a classic French beret.
Starring is Mark Saunders, the Irish born sales director of Laulhère. Well done, Mark!

Daan

Vendor
This week's SPECIAL is the Le Béret Français!

10428448_945468762171131_4971676858409827075_n.jpg

Le Béret Français is a 100% made in France label by some of the most dedicated people in the French beret industry, keen to keep the artisan way of Béarnaise beret making alive. The company aims to ensure the beret is revived as the ultimate French fashion statement. All materials and pieces are conceived, designed and produced exclusively in France. The beret collection is produced in Laàs, a charming little village in the Béarn (Pyrénées-Atlantiques). What's more, even the wool used for the berets is French, coming from French sheep in the Provence.

beret-mode-noir.jpg
beret-mode-bleu_1.jpg
marinemoded.jpg
beret-mode-chocolat.jpg

From the weaving of the wool fibres to the final assembly, all the steps are undertaken in their own production workshop. The Le Béret Français team is made up of people who are passionate about their region and their job. They benefit from a savoir-faire passed down from generation to generation. Proud of this heritage, Le Béret Français gives life to a new line of berets to accompany men and women.
Le Béret Français' upper end 'Mode' berets have a red cabillou (or 'txortena') in an otherwise strictly traditional headband-less, 80 grams, 28cm diameter lined beret. The red cabillou is Le Béret Français' unique symbol.

LBF%20Royal%20Blue.JPG

This week only with more than 20% discount at $37.50!

Daan

Vendor

Ahh yes, the béret Campan, or really: foulard Campan, as this is one of the more luxurious berets made by Laulhère (or previously BeaTex).

$T2eC16J,!)sE9swm(yjsBRZb3UHMCg~~60_1.JPG
basque-beret-campan.jpg

The Campan valley is a valley of the Pyrenees in the French department of Hautes-Pyrénées in the Midi-Pyrénées region, not far from Oloron Sainte Marie, the birthplace and centre of industrial beret manufacturing.

1024px-Artigues-Campan.jpg

The hamlet of Artigues-Campan in the Valle de Campan

The Valle de Campan has seen human occupation for 1000's of years, with evidence of Visigoths and Romans coming through. It was here, like in the Béarnaise Valle de Ossau, that shepherds developed hats that evolved into the present-day béret, knitting themselves when taking their flocks to the high summer pastures up the valley.
Laulhère still makes the Campan, also available under the Pedrito label (in navy) and the Super Exposition (black).

wow great country would love to visit there for a while, i really used to love berets when was a kid, but this place spark it up again, there is quit a history and art to one of these hidden treasure hats, i also have a Barkeza beret in the mail i got at a very low cost , i may get a elosegui or a splendid, or pedrito, ,
my Campan , i soaked and took off about 15mm, it feels better, i like the smaller pouce ones

just got an oldy in the mail today i was told that was most likely made by Blanq-Olibet or Laulhère. for madelios mens store in france, not quit as luxurious as the campans but it is a nice thick merino wool
$_57.JPG

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
Ceci n'est pas un tarte alpin...

What we usually regard as a Tarte Alpin is not always that, in the literal sense of the word. Similar large diameter berets in dense and dark navy wool were not only used by the Chasseurs Alpin (or 'Alpine Hunters', the French Mountain Infantry); there are sub-groups of "other Chasseurs", like the régiment d'artillerie de montagne (Mountain Artillery) and the Unités de montagne de la Gendarmerie nationale (Mountain units of the National Gendarmerie) - all military mountain units wearing the same Tarte.

201312091651-full.jpg

But there were others within the French military. Like the men on the picture below: not alpine hunters, but members of the 14ème section des commis et ouvriers d'administration militaire (14th Section Army Administration).

pas_un_alpin_train.jpg

Or the members of the 14ème escadron du Train des équipages militaires (14th Military Railways Unit), below:

pas_un_alpin_train_2.jpg

Then there was the Infanterie Coloniale, which, during their campaign in Madagascar (1895) was issued with Tartes; alas, with an anchor in red or gold embroidery added.

pas_un_alpin_coloniale_5.jpg

And last, some members of the infanterie coloniale wore Tartes during the campaigns in China (1901-1902) (below).

pas_un_alpin_coloniale.jpg

These days, it is only the above mentioned mountain units that wear the Tarte; inside the military that is. Of course, the Tarte is (and has been for decades) the headgear of choice for many mountaineers, foresters, trampers and general boineras.

At South Pacific Berets, we stock the original 200 grams Tarte of the Chasseurs Alpins (a surprisingly comfortable large beret in all seasons) and also the superb Foulards Alpin made by Boneteria Auloronesa, in a variety of colours.

beret-chasseur-alpin-original-couvre-tarte-insigne%20%282%29.jpg
Alpin%201.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy