Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bernie Utz hat shop pics

Michael D

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
Actually you have some time to do an experiment. Go to a local hat shop near you that carries Borsalinos. Check them out feel them and check the workmanship out---all the price ranges. Keep what you saw in mind and your impressions on paper maybe.
When you go to Rome check out the Borsalino shop. Check out the same models and feel the felt as you did in the US. Notice the workmanship there. Keep that in mind and let us know if there is a difference or not.

Regards to all,

J

Jeboat,

While in Italy and looking at hats, try the Barbisios, Cervos and Guerras. You'll probably find that they are nicer than the Borsalinos for less money.

I wish that I had known about these other brands when I was in Milan two years ago. I would have done some real shopping instead of picking the 2nd Borsalino I tried on. I'm happy with it and all, especially since Art reblocked it in a nice vintage style, but now I'd love to try the Barbisios, Cervos and Guerras as well.

Mike

Michael D said:
Jeboat,

While in Italy and looking at hats, try the Barbisios, Cervos and Guerras. You'll probably find that they are nicer than the Borsalinos for less money.

I wish that I had known about these other brands when I was in Milan two years ago. I would have done some real shopping instead of picking the 2nd Borsalino I tried on. I'm happy with it and all, especially since Art reblocked it in a nice vintage style, but now I'd love to try the Barbisios, Cervos and Guerras as well.

Quite true. My intention was just as an experiment---not to buy anything. ;) Cervo and Barbisio I can vouch for but I have not had my hands on a Guerra. Interesting that a hat would be named War. Then again Cervo means red deer so I suppose they name hats after whatever they please. :p

Regards to all,

J

Michael D

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
Interesting that a hat would be named War. Then again Cervo means red deer so I suppose they name hats after whatever they please. :p

Regards to all,

J

James,

I agree that it is strange, but it turns out that Guerra was the last name of the original owner/hatter. He started the Guerra 1855 hat company in 1855. You can learn more at their website, which surprisingly has quite a bit of information about their company and products, unlike Barbisio/Cervo's and Borsalino's websites.

http://www.guerra1855.com/uk/home.htm

Cheers,

Mike

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
jamespowers said:
Actually you have some time to do an experiment. Go to a local hat shop near you that carries Borsalinos. Check them out feel them and check the workmanship out---all the price ranges. Keep what you saw in mind and your impressions on paper maybe.
When you go to Rome check out the Borsalino shop. Check out the same models and feel the felt as you did in the US. Notice the workmanship there. Keep that in mind and let us know if there is a difference or not.

Regards to all,

J

The Borsalinos I saw in France were the same quality as the ones I saw in the US. Other brands Like Gelot and Cervo were even worse in construction and how the felt felt to the touch. Stetson was the good hat in Europe.

Matt Deckard said:
The Borsalinos I saw in France were the same quality as the ones I saw in the US. Other brands Like Gelot and Cervo were even worse in construction and how the felt felt to the touch. Stetson was the good hat in Europe.

Interesting. I still wonder what they are like in Italy though. It has been a while since I was there and I didn't take any notice of the hats then.
Gee, if Stetson was the good hat in Europe then I would hate to see the worst hat in Europe. :p

Regards to all,

J

MattC

A-List Customer
Cervos here and Borsalinos in France

The Borsalinos I saw in France were about the same as middle of the line Borsos here; not as good as the best new ones I've seen in the U.S.

I have a Cervo I bought from Worth and Worth a few years ago, mid range. It has been a real frustration to me. It is a beautiful blue grey color. But it tends to shrink down a size, and the felt is thin but somewhat stiff, so that the brim is almost impossible to keep even (I have a very thin Borso--also modern, but a high end hat-where the felt is so pliable the brim always looks perfect). I've tried steaming the brim, without much luck, although I'll try again using some tips James put on another thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21