Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke shoes: Edward Green Trunk Show

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
HBK, Do the Lobb spectators feature buckskin (or another type of leather with similar texture) or do they use white shiny leather? Since you've been in the store, i hope ye know ... i'd like to know.

i haven't seen those exact shoes in person, but i'm sure bucksin would be no problem at all. i do recall seeing some half bucksin in Foster and sons but not Lobb (i think i lost consciousness in Lobb) but if you're paying £1500 i'm sure you can have whatever you want ). i know what you're thinking.. .the half white-buckskin is so much nicer.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
John Lobb, for one. There are a few French and Italian makers who offer ladies bespoke(in addition to mens) but they're certainly in the minority. It seems to be a gentleman's game[huh]

That's very odd, since women are the ones who typically spend tons of money on shoes. Those John Lobb shoes are very classy!

--Leslie

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
GateXC said:
Also, in regards to production, Green used to turn out 35 pairs of shoes a day up until a couple months ago, but have recently stepped it up so they turn out a whopping 55 a day. And it takes 6 weeks to make a single pair.

Interesting, the cobbler was still quoting 35 when I had the conversation. It's alot of work and the skills are hard to find. He even made it a point of telling me they hired him because he was stable and married. They have had many stitchers and cutters leave for other jobs under pressure from spouses so now they are particular with who they hire. Didn't make much sense to me, though if I go into shoe making I'll tell you why women mary shoemakers then want them to stop making shoes.

manton

A-List Customer
Green is completely out of the bespoke business. Their bepoke lasts are now in the hands of Gaziano & Girling. Tony Gaziano ran the Green bespoke program for years before going out on his own. These days, Green trunk shows are for made-to-order shoes only. You choose the model, the leather, and the last (among their many stock lasts). The key differences from bespoke are: the last is not made specifically for your foot; the shoe has a lot less handwork; it costs a lot less.

GateXC

One of the Regulars
So I pulled the trigger last week.

Went over to my friend's office, checked through the styles and leathers, and ordered up a pair of Edward Green "Canterbury" in Edwardian Antique.

I should get them around February (which can't come fast enough).

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
manton said:
Green is completely out of the bespoke business. Their bepoke lasts are now in the hands of Gaziano & Girling. Tony Gaziano ran the Green bespoke program for years before going out on his own.

So former EG bespoke customers can now order shoes from G&G on the lasts that had already been made for them? Interesting. I wonder if Tony had to buy all those customers' lasts from EG, or if it was worked out as part of his separation agreement or something.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
GateXC said:
So I pulled the trigger last week.

Went over to my friend's office, checked through the styles and leathers, and ordered up a pair of Edward Green "Canterbury" in Edwardian Antique.

I should get them around February (which can't come fast enough).

You will of course show them to the Lounge!

I should have my plain old Alden's back before I take off to the UK... though a stop by Edward Green could occur.

manton

A-List Customer
Orgetorix said:
So former EG bespoke customers can now order shoes from G&G on the lasts that had already been made for them? Interesting. I wonder if Tony had to buy all those customers' lasts from EG, or if it was worked out as part of his separation agreement or something.
They were given to him. They parted amicably.

manton

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
I should have my plain old Alden's back before I take off to the UK... though a stop by Edward Green could occur.
On December 26th, the EG sale begins. Email them your size (size down 1/2 to get the UK size for most lasts). At their own lackadaisical pace, they will eventually send you a list of models and colors and lasts in your size on sale. The price will be slightly more than half retail. Still shockingly high, but not heart-stopping.

CitySlicker

New in Town
Great handmade English shoes

I love these traditional English shoes. I have some myself over 20 years old. There is a an excellent site that specializes in these and similar brands such as John Lobb and Crockett & Jones: www.bespoke-england.co.uk. Interstingly, I note that they will be offering 'made-to-order' shoes by Gaziano Girling. I'm not sure how this will work, as it is not working on the site yet. Obviously they cannot offer made to measure shoes online... but I am intrigued!

Pelkey

Yes Matt Deckard I have a pair of handmade Pelkey camp mocs,He is located in Sturbridge Mass.He uses imported leather from a 200 year old tannery in the UK,he claims it is the finest available.He also makes belts,game bags to your spec`s.I have a garrison belt that he made 27 years ago and I am still wearing it!His camp moc`s are double sole.These camp moc`s are really a New England shoe,I don`t know if they are worn in tinsel town USA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters