Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best "hat movie" ever?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Movies and TV too!

For movies, I loved the hats in Seabiscuit. Also, Sam Niell has a nice hat in Jurassic Park 3(bad movie nice hat)... including an unexpected reunion after losing it! Not every hat can survive a dinosaur attack.

I've seen some hats pop up on TV, too. Most notably, NCIS. For those who don't watch, there is a medical examiner who is clearly a vintage-culture man. Hats, ties, cars. He's the best character on the show, played by David McCallum (of "The Man from UNCLE" fame)... a vintage, but still great, star.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone ever seen that movie "Borsalino" with Delon?

"Il Conformista" is certainly a good period/hat
movie.

Time to check out some foreign cinema!

havershaw

Practically Family
The Coen Brothers' The Man Who Wasn't There is one of my favorite period movies...when the Coen Brothers do a period, in my opinion, they do it RIGHT. I know I wasn't there, obviously, but for me, their films really capture the essence of the periods they're doing, with none of the . They also made Miller's Crossing, O Brother Where Art Thou, Barton Fink, and The Hudsucker Proxy. Every one of them, in my opinion, really nails the look and the feel of the era they're trying to get, especially The Man Who Wasn't There (which had the most noir-ish, authentically 40s b/w cinematography I've ever seen in a modern film) and Barton Fink (where you can see both the Observation Bar and the Queen's Salon in all their glory).

I don't think I remember how to post photos any more, so I'll send some to folks who can post them for me, but I have a kind of lame image capture for DVDs on my new computer, so I took some great hat shots from some of my favorite hat films, which would be:

He Walked by Night (1948)
DOA (1950)
Murder, My Sweet (1944)
Double Indemnity (1944)
This Gun For Hire (1942)
Out Of the Past (1947) - Mitchum's hat is one of ny favorite hats, ever...although a lot of it is the way he wears it.

I'll probably send them to Root - he knows how to post photos...

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, I'll say you did!

Yeah, I'll post them. It's really quite easy but, me thinks I'll start a thread dedicated to the art of posting photos!

Any way, not sure which film these are from but, they're killer any way.

ShowLetter

ShowLetter

ShowLetter

ShowLetter

ShowLetter

ShowLetter

ShowLetter

Well, they aren't coming up for some reason. So, just click on the link and you'll get the picture see.

I believe I have seen this film this can't remember which one it is...

WR.

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Evening gents. I'll throw my two cents in too. The Untouchables, Casablanca, Tombstone, and many already mentioned. I'm going to add one more that's really tv but there were four feature lenght films made in the series. Granada's Sherlock Holmes. Jeremy Brett simply was Sherlock Holmes. The period dress(dig that Victorian era), and those hats. Brett was smashing in top hats, Homburgs, Deerstalkers, and a couple of others. All the while blowing cigarette and pipe smoke with non-PC abandon. Ultimate cool.

A couple of honorable mentions would have to be included. First goes to George Sanders in the "Saint" movies of the late 30's/early 40's. As Simon Templar he was unexcelled. While I liked the Val Kilmer edition of the late 90's, Sanders was James Bond sauve 30 years ahead of the game. The hats, coats, the accent, you name it. Sanders was great.

Another was really for one moment in the film Ronin with Robert DeNiro. At the beginning, he nervously approaches a cafe in a snappy maroon beret. DeNiro looked completely at home in that beret. I mention Ronin simply because it gave just a bit of the film noir sense. Even though it's clearly a suspense/action film. A bit off the wall I admit but the supporting cast really made me think of the great films of the 40's.

havershaw

Practically Family
Can't see those photos, Root. Here, I'll try the old way, but I heard that a lot of folks couldn't see them when I tried recently:

Out of the Past:
f1e35e2e.jpg

f1e35e21.jpg

f1e35e28.jpg

f1e35e1d.jpg

f1e35e19.jpg

f1e35e2c.jpg

f1e35e18.jpg

havershaw

Practically Family
DOA:
f1e35d47.jpg

f1e35d3b.jpg

f1e35d3f.jpg

Double Indemnity:
f1e35d37.jpg

This Gun For Hire:
f1e35d31.jpg

f1e35d32.jpg

The Big Clock (also, Ray Milland's suits are incredible in this movie):
f1e35d35.jpg

havershaw

Practically Family
and my favorite, He Walks By Night. Man, cops wear great hats:
f1e35067.jpg

f1e3507f.jpg

f1e3520d.jpg

f1e3507d.jpg

somehow, this photo is sort of the epitome of this forum...
f1e35062.jpg

f1e35060.jpg

f1e35077.jpg

f1e35056.jpg

f1e35053.jpg

f1e3505a.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ummmmm, yeah. Ok, I give, how did you do it? I loaded them up just like all the others but, they didn't come up for some reason.

Oh well, what ever, I knew you could do it Bob! Looking good there buddy and sorry I failed your expectations.

Root.

I want this suit!!!
f1e35213.jpg

havershaw

Practically Family
I used Sony Imagestation. I tried it on another website a month or two ago, and everyone said they couldn't see anything I was posting, so I never messed with it again. ah well.

Thanks for the effort, though...! I'm glad I can post stuff myself, now! Because I have another thread to start...

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Absolutely fantastic photos! Thanks for sharing those with us. I agree about the one with the police looking into the closet. Perhaps we should start a contest to come up with a caption for that one... :cheers1:

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
I vote for "Borsalino & Co" starring Alain Delon, a French Gangster flick. It's available in Region 1 DVD, in case you want to buy or rent. However, I don't know about the 1st Borsalino film.

I also think that "Last Man Standing" (Bruce Willis) is also a good hat movie...

Ben

One of the Regulars
Until the End of the World

There was a movie released in the 1990s called 'Until the End of the World' that features a lot of hats. The story was set in 1999, but the clothing was all inspired by detective and spy films. So, there are a lot of hats, suits, and trench coats.

It might be worth a look just for the clothes, though this one is hard to find. I think its sound track sold more copies than the movie ever did. The sound track was a who's who of alternative rockers of the time, including U2, REM, and Elvis Costello.

The moive itself is long and strange, but I always liked it. It has an interesting way of bringing the past and the future together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou