Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best "hat movie" ever?

funneman

Practically Family
Hat Flicks

I've watched "The Front Page" about a dozen times. I love those scenes in the Newsroom, all of those great straw and felt hats. Jack Lemmon's boater.

"The Sting" has some great hats. That powder blue fedora Paul Newman wears is to die for.

"Thieves like Us" - Keith Carradine looks like he was born in the early '20s.

"Double Idemnity" - Fred MacMurry has a great looking lid and Edward G. too.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
havershaw said:
f1e3507f.jpg

I love this side by side comparison of thin and wide ribbon in a vintage setting. I'd go for the one on the right, to the surprise of no one.

dean

mingoslim

Practically Family
Some great movies . . .

I think you all have listed some great movies . . .
But one of my favorite hats comes from TV.

Don't laugh . . .
But I love the hat the George Reeves wore in his "Clark Kent" persona in the old Superman show . . . :)

ckent2.jpg

ckent.jpg

fatwoul

Practically Family
thunderw21 said:
It was already said but since I watched it this week, "The Sting" is a great hat/suit movie.

Sting.jpg

And I'll second that one.

TheSting.jpg

I was actually watching it on BBC1 a week or so ago, and trying to shape my one and only hat to look a little like Gondorf's. I failed, but as usual I enjoyed the movie.

It's one of those films that just never gets old.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
A Vote on the thread with a life of its own!

Check out "HARD TIMES" w/Bronson-Coburn-Strother Martin. Never get tired of watching it. I read thru this and didnt see a vote, if I missed I'm not sorry I guess, just a second vote!!

fatwoul

Practically Family
The Right Stuff was on ITV4 just now, and that is a good hat movie. Donald Moffat as LBJ, complete with Open Road, and a lot of press guys in all manner of fedoras with all types of bashes.

Barb

One of the Regulars
Watched the movie "Brazil" last week

and loved the hats! What was neat was the fact that this was a futuristic sci-fi surrealistic story bonded to classic styles. (truly weird but riveting).

55723368dy7.jpg

10371541sr9.jpg

12536101yj6.jpg

64721547jc0.jpg

79822931od4.jpg

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
besdor said:
ONE OF THE PROBLEMS WITH THE MOVIE INDUSTRY IS ALL OF THE MOVIES THAT SHOW HATS ARE EITHER 50 YEARS OLD OR ARE PERIOD PIECES . INDIANA JONES PROBABLY DID MORE FOR THE HAT INDUSTRY THAN ANY OTHER MOVIE IN HISTORY . IT WOULD BE NICE IF THE PRODUCERS TODAY WOULD SHOW SOMEONE HEARING A HAT IN A MOVIE SET IN TODAYS TIMES!!

If I'm not wrong Rocky wore his signature hat in the last movie. Rocky Balboa wasn't a period piece. None of the Rocky films were.

fatwoul

Practically Family
retrofashion said:
If I'm not wrong Rocky wore his signature hat in the last movie. Rocky Balboa wasn't a period piece. None of the Rocky films were.

That awful "Psycho" remake also had William H. Macy in a hat.

nulty

One of the Regulars
I watched one on TCM a few weeks ago. A ritual I have is to get up very early Saturday mornings ( if I feel like it :) ) and flip on TCM , there is usually a good old classic . I'm sure this is just a continuation of the sat morning cartoon marathons from childhood.......

Anyway, one called "In Name Only" with Cary Grant and Carole Lombard was one ..two of my favorite actors.....

There weren't alot of hats but the ones that were there were fantastic and I love seeing Cary in a fedora......

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aside from movies History Channel documentaries have provided a stream of hat/clothing illustrations direct from the true era source. The result from these is confirmation that fedoras were worn more without suits that with. And with all sorts of clothing right down to work duds and bib overalls.

Dominic

One of the Regulars
I always like Judge Doom's hat in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". But all kidding aside, "The Godfather" and "Once Upon A Time In America" are very nice references indeed.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
fatwoul said:
And I'll second that one.

TheSting.jpg

I was actually watching it on BBC1 a week or so ago, and trying to shape my one and only hat to look a little like Gondorf's. I failed, but as usual I enjoyed the movie.

It's one of those films that just never gets old.

Redfords hair is hilarious. It cancels out the hat.

Edit: And I just noticed the Herb Tarlick tie. Yikes.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Twitch said:
Aside from movies History Channel documentaries have provided a stream of hat/clothing illustrations direct from the true era source. The result from these is confirmation that fedoras were worn more without suits that with. And with all sorts of clothing right down to work duds and bib overalls.

I saw a Cary Grant movie the other day called "Mr. Blandings Builds a House." My wife had gotten it from Netflix and had me watch it because of the hats. Just about all of the workers on the house from the contractor on down were wearing some type of fedora, many with, as you say, bib overalls.

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou