Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best option for for protecting fedora from heavy rain & snow?

EggHead

Practically Family
One of the reasons I started wearing hats was because I hate to carry an umbrella. Small umbrellas would get warped by wind and become unusable quickly, large ones are heavy and a pain to drag around. I have one I call Excalibur, I can fend off dogs with it if necessary.
Also, I like to keep my hands free.
When it comes to hats and rain, I do not discriminate. All fedoras I have, except for two lite-felts can handle moderate rain well.
But I see your point about the navy color fedora. BTW, all beaver custom fedoras run about $300+ and handle rain well.

-30-

A-List Customer
New, post corperate sale of the Borsolino Company hats are of poor quality and construction. If you really require a Borso, buy vintage.

Regards,
-30-

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
New, post corperate sale of the Borsolino Company hats are of poor quality and construction. If you really require a Borso, buy vintage.

The impression I had was that new Borso hats are much worse than the vintage ones, but most other hat companies also now make much poorer quality of hats than they used to. Is that impression correct or incorrect?

Even though Borso hats are now much worse than they once were, are new Borso hats still of better quality than most new hats from other companies?

For example, is a new Borso hat better quality than a new Biltmore hat?

In addition to Akubra, what other companies still make high quality new hats?

carldelo

One Too Many
Want a blue fedora? Here's a recent thread talking about just that:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?66317-Is-this-custom-only
There are many blue fedoras less than $150 that should suit your needs.

Re: modern vs. vintage, there are a trunkload of threads on this subject, with lots of advice to buy vintage. Granted, a vintage fedora can be a delightful addition to a collection but I'm not sure I'd buy vintage and wear it in a snowstorm. Also, vintage is great if you have a small head - if not, then prepare to spend a great deal of money. And into the bargain, keep in mind that hat vendors (who need to make a living) need to sell new (not vintage) hats to stay in business, which I think we can as a group state is a categorically desirable outcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner