Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best tartan liner for Aero brown FQHH..?

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I'd go with Campbell--not red or reddish at all...very nice blue and green in a lighter shade than Black Watch. Kind of a Black Watch light--then again, I am a Campbell.

I am also a Campbell and went with a weathered Campbell tartan for my goatskin halfbelt - which I sold. If I decide to get another new Aero, I would get the Campbell tartan again.

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Greetings:

Newbie here. I know this thread is regarding tartan linings but since it refers to 'linings' I wondered why I have yet to see an Aero jacket with the Sateen (satin?) quilted lining posted on this forum.

I discovered Aero back in early 2000 - I was smitten and ordered my first jacket - a 1950's half-belt in black FFHH with a grey herringbone wool. Upon arrival the jacket was wonderful - except for the lining. I found the wool itchy and bothersome to the point where I sold the jacket and ordered another half-belt with a sateen/satin quilted lining. Images attached.

I found this lining more to my liking and ordered another half-belt (long) in heavy black FFHH and asked Ken to provide a similar lining to the first one I had. The last (5th image) partially shows the long half belt with a kind of teal quilted lining. That jacket was wonderful but it was like wearing an upper body cast and the jacket would leave black marks on my clothing, car seats and anything else I happened to rub against. Alas, that jacket was sold and I am left with my only Aero half-belt in the first four images.

I am guessing that the tartan/wool linings are prefered by most Aero owners due to their uniqueness and possibly because they may be more 'authentic' than a less traditional wool patterned lining.

HB-1.jpg

HB-6.jpg

HB-4.jpg

HB-5.jpg

Long Half Belt with partially visible 'Teal' quilted Sateen/satin lining
long-halfbelt-2.JPG

zebedee

One Too Many
Thanks, I think both look very cool, but since I like red lining in general it is nice to see that the red works. Can I ask, are these medium or heavy weight, and how do you like them for feel and warmth..?
<these are medium weight. Warmth is fine, but with these jackets, it's really a matter of what you are wearing underneath them. There is no difference, I find, between the cotton drill and tartan linings for warmth.

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Wait a minute... I've never seen quilted lining on an Aero.. Didn't know that was possible..
It is a rare option that I had requested on the jackets shown in the images I posted. Back then Aero had a Longshoreman jacket with a shearling lining that had the lower portion of the lining in a blue/green quilted lining that caught my eye. I inquired about having something similar on the 1950's half-belt and again on the long half-belt. That was back in 2000-2001. If I recall I did see an option for a cotton sateen lining more recently but I'm not sure if its the same type of lining I have. I am considering getting another long half belt in cordovan leather instead of HH and will request the quilted lining if available. With over 600 types of linings available, I would assume that a quilted type, similar to what I have, is still available.

Maybe someone who has been in recent contact with Aero or one of their distrubutors would have some knowledge about the quilted lining.

pauleway

Practically Family
What do you guys think, and any pics that might help? I have always been partial to a muted (maybe "weathered") red or reddish tartan liner in leather jackets, but am wondering if that is best for brown. Open to suggestions.

What is best is whatever you like. Go to their website (Lochcarron) and pick what you prefer (they have a huge selection) and that is the best liner!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Maybe someone who has been in recent contact with Aero or one of their distrubutors would have some knowledge about the quilted lining.

I would reccommend contacting Carrie at Insurrection...thier affilliate threads are easily found here. /I would alos find myself interested in such a lining, if, I ever allow myself another Aero.

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
I sent an inquiry to Aero and Holly replied that the quilted satin lining that was an option when my jackets where ordered back in 2000-2001 is no longer available. I guess it wasn't very popular although I do really like my 1950's half belt with it's distinctive and somewhat rare quilted lining.

That may be why I haven't seen any Aero jackets (other than mine) with a quilted lining on this forum.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to decide which type of lining I want to get for my Long Half Belt in Cordovan CXL steerhide.

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Wow!! That would be GREAT if Aero does decide to offer a quilted satin lining again. Maybe the posting of my jacket might have stirred interest in a quilted lining as many vintage horsehide coats had quilted linings similar to my coat. Maybe over time they fell out of favor or to cut costs some manufacturers decontented the product and provided a lesser lining.

I really like the more luxurious feeling of the quilted satin lining vice wool or cotton. I am considering a Long Half Belt in Cordovan CXL steerhide and may delay obtaining one since I really want something other than a wool or cotton lining.

TheJuniper

Familiar Face
Wow!! That would be GREAT if Aero does decide to offer a quilted satin lining again. Maybe the posting of my jacket might have stirred interest in a quilted lining as many vintage horsehide coats had quilted linings similar to my coat. Maybe over time they fell out of favor or to cut costs some manufacturers decontented the product and provided a lesser lining.

I really like the more luxurious feeling of the quilted satin lining vice wool or cotton. I am considering a Long Half Belt in Cordovan CXL steerhide and may delay obtaining one since I really want something other than a wool or cotton lining.

How warm is your quilted satin lining? I'm thinking about getting the quilted rayon lining in a Teamster. I'd like it as a winter jacket that I can wear in temperatures around freezing.

Do you think the quilted lining will be enough, or do you need to layer more under it?

Edward

Bartender
Purely a matter of personal taste, I think.

Entirely. I went with the Blair tartan on my Bootlegger because my mother's side of the family are Blairs (the Blairs were lowlanders, from the Ayrshire areas, driven off their land post-Culloden so the landowners could graze sheep on it. Granda Blair always swore that they were thrown out of Scotland for stealing sheep, and that's how they ended up in Ireland. :D They go way back; a John Blair was chaplain to William Wallace.)

I'd go with Campbell--not red or reddish at all...very nice blue and green in a lighter shade than Black Watch. Kind of a Black Watch light--then again, I am a Campbell. Try this link for reddish tartans...I like the weathered Bruce--my wife is a Bruce. http://www.scotlandshop.com/tartan-finder.aspx?tartan-colour=Red

Blackwatch has long been considered to be a Campbell tartan in origin. This was dismissed by many as inaccurate - the "Government Tartan" now known as Blackwatch was commissioned for the British military regiments - but a big influence on the choice of tartan was had by the original officers first in charge of the Black Watch, who wre predominantly Campbells, so the similarities are quite likely deliberate.

Greetings:

Newbie here. I know this thread is regarding tartan linings but since it refers to 'linings' I wondered why I have yet to see an Aero jacket with the Sateen (satin?) quilted lining posted on this forum.

The sort answer is that, to the best of my knowledge, this sort of man-made quilted lining didn't start to become common until into the 50s; many / most of the jacket styles you see that are popular on here predate that, as does the main TFL focus of 30s & 40s vintage.

<these are medium weight. Warmth is fine, but with these jackets, it's really a matter of what you are wearing underneath them. There is no difference, I find, between the cotton drill and tartan linings for warmth.

I think it varis per person. My Bootlegger has a tartan body liner and moleskin in the sleeves, and eels significantly warmer than other jackets with the same FQHH shell but cotton lining throughout.

What is best is whatever you like. Go to their website (Lochcarron) and pick what you prefer (they have a huge selection) and that is the best liner!

Worth looking at the Aero 'customisation' page first; http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/products.php?cat=classicleather&sub=lc1 If you select one of the tartans they keep in stock, it's a £30 charge, rather than £50 for one of the others (fair enough that there's a difference, given that there's the extra admin issues with acquiring small quantities of cloth for individual jackets).

Watch this space ........ Quilted lining might very well be an option again at Aero very soon ;)

Cool! Tempting option for a bike jacket.

Edward

Bartender
Purely a matter of personal taste, I think.

Entirely. I went with the Blair tartan on my Bootlegger because my mother's side of the family are Blairs (the Blairs were lowlanders, from the Ayrshire areas, driven off their land post-Culloden so the landowners could graze sheep on it. Granda Blair always swore that they were thrown out of Scotland for stealing sheep, and that's how they ended up in Ireland. :D They go way back; a John Blair was chaplain to William Wallace.)

I'd go with Campbell--not red or reddish at all...very nice blue and green in a lighter shade than Black Watch. Kind of a Black Watch light--then again, I am a Campbell. Try this link for reddish tartans...I like the weathered Bruce--my wife is a Bruce. http://www.scotlandshop.com/tartan-finder.aspx?tartan-colour=Red

Blackwatch has long been considered to be a Campbell tartan in origin. This was dismissed by many as inaccurate - the "Government Tartan" now known as Blackwatch was commissioned for the British military regiments - but a big influence on the choice of tartan was had by the original officers first in charge of the Black Watch, who wre predominantly Campbells, so the similarities are quite likely deliberate.

Greetings:

The sort answer is that, to the best of my knowledge, this sort of man-made quilted lining didn't start to become common until into the 50s; many / most of the jacket styles you see that are popular on here predate that, as does the main TFL focus of 30s & 40s vintage.

I think it varis per person. My Bootlegger has a tartan body liner and moleskin in the sleeves, and eels significantly warmer than other jackets with the same FQHH shell but cotton lining throughout.

Worth looking at the Aero 'customisation' page first; http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/products.php?cat=classicleather&sub=lc1 If you select one of the tartans they keep in stock, it's a £30 charge, rather than £50 for one of the others (fair enough that there's a difference, given that there's the extra admin issues with acquiring small quantities of cloth for individual jackets).

Watch this space ........ Quilted lining might very well be an option again at Aero very soon ;)

Cool! Tempting option for a bike jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran