Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Kelso Star A-2

When I see real customers wearing real jackets I'll bite. Lots of things going on and little to show of us regular Joe's wearing hides. When that happens I'll rethink it. As it stands, it's like rainbows and unicorns.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've just taken my life in my hands and posted something very similar on the other place about the Aeronaut.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It does seem a little odd to incorporate the name of one of their (intended) main competitors in the name of their flagship design - intentionally or not. As I said elsewhere, what next: the Goodwearonaut? The Eastmanaut? :D But as Jeff has said, until we start seeing some of these rather nice designs in the wild, so to speak, there's little to be said, really.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Jeff M said since the beginning of the year, so 6 or 7 months, not a year and counting. It's still quite a wait, but I'm guessing there's a reason.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
A fair question, Schitzo, but I can't remember when I last saw somebody post a BK jacket on here. I recall a recent thread asking that exact thing. Not criticising the look or quality, they look good, just that beyond Jeff's ongoing issue there's been few others. No particular comment, just an observation. Thanks for correcting me, Nathan, didn't intend to misrepresent.

so what are BK wait times perceived to be exactly? I thought it was 8 weeks

Can only tell you my experiences.
I ordered a M422 from BK a year ago. I double checked with BK at the time of the order that they had all the leather/mouton/hardware on hand to make the jacket. Was given a completion date of 2 to 3 weeks.
I received the jacket, if I recall correctly, mid/end October.
I was disappointed in it.
I posted a review of it over at the VLJ in November, and some pictures/thoughts about it here after that.

-In December I was contacted by BK offering to exchange the M422 for an A2 made from their "Victory Horse" hide. I took them up on the offer.

-I was contacted by BK in February saying they would be ready to "start working with me" in March. Looking back at my exchanges with Platon, I did not hear from them till April when I contacted him after he posted a thread at the VLJ showing the new Victory Horse hides they had in.
At that time I told him that the leather they had would be fine, re-iterated the jacket specs. He noted "Yes OK, we'll do that".

-Early in May they contacted me to tell me that he would be sending me leather samples of the different color leathers they currently had on hand, and to get back to him about which of the leathers he wanted me to use.

-I did not receive the samples in the next 12 days, so I contacted him again to see if they had been sent. He replied yes.

-2 1/2 weeks later, still no samples. I contacted them again, they replied a couple of days later that they would send them.

-Samples received 12 days later (now June 12). Contacted BK, told them which leather I wanted -I chose the Seal Brown as I recall. Was told they were now out of that color. I told the other color (Dark Seal) would be fine.

-On July 8 heard back that they received the M422 I returned to them (sent it back in June when they told me they were ready to receive it), and they would be "back in touch shortly".

-On July 11 heard back from BK that they had screwed up and the one piece of VH they had set aside for me had been used for another jacket, their next shipment expected in September. Offered me a jacket made out of one of their other leathers...I decided to wait, and told them I didn't care if the jacket was made out of their Dark Seal VH leather or their Seal Brown VH.

Yesterday BK announced a new design, their A2 Star....with pictures of a new jacket made from their "Victory Horse" leather.

Last edited:
I've wanted to support these guys since day-one. However, it's very difficult given what we've seen. There was a rush of BK support by a few not long ago, then it died down. Of course, I don't believe that anyone had actually received or even bought a jacket, just trying to give BK a break I suppose. All well and good, but we've seen now models flying off the drawing board and into Facebook and VLJ with I real evidence of deliveries. With the designs and hides, I'd love to support them both in writing and with a buy, but as of now, I can't. And I think it's only fair to discuss this and let BK join if they wish.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It does seem a little odd to incorporate the name of one of their (intended) main competitors in the name of their flagship design - intentionally or not. As I said elsewhere, what next: the Goodwearonaut? The Eastmanaut? :D But as Jeff has said, until we start seeing some of these rather nice designs in the wild, so to speak, there's little to be said, really.

That's a slightly specious argument though. Aero's name is also a widely used prefix in the English language relating to flight. Goodwear and Eastman are not prefixes. It's along the same lines as saying a company making something to do with yachting or marine goods can't use the word "nautical" because there's a company called Nautica.

I'm not surprised we haven't seen anyone wearing an aeronaut or BK Star as they are apparently brand new designs. I've seen a fair few posts around with photos of people with newly purchased BK A-2s and they don't look bad at all. Their "house" offering is very attractive for the price.

schitzo

Suspended
That's a slightly specious argument though. Aero's name is also a widely used prefix in the English language relating to flight. Goodwear and Eastman are not prefixes. It's along the same lines as saying a company making something to do with yachting or marine goods can't use the word "nautical" because there's a company called Nautica.

I'm not surprised we haven't seen anyone wearing an aeronaut or BK Star as they are apparently brand new designs. I've seen a fair few posts around with photos of people with newly purchased BK A-2s and they don't look bad at all. Their "house" offering is very attractive for the price.

Well said Smithy that's an excellent point about prefixes. I knew it was horse by-product as soon as I read it, and you've now articulated precisely why

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn