Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Kelso Star A-2

Plumbline

One Too Many
It surprises you guys that people don't post jackets on here ... bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :D

It surprises you guys that people don't post jackets on here ... bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :D
If they're selling them, yes. Anyone running a business best be ready for tough questions. We're not talking $50 sneakers but jackets costing $1k and more across the lineups of top makers. We've seen what happens when things go wrong and people get taken. Anyone that's been here for more than a couple years understands this. Nobody is knocking BK, but they can't expect to be given a free ride given the circumstances.

I've posted pictures of jackets here several times...of both well made jackets and those not so well made.
I figure it helps folks get an idea of what is out there, what may be worth their interest, and what they may want to avoid.
I see a major function of places like this to be one of providing information.
I've learned the hard way that marketing pictures put up by jacket makers don't really tell you the quality of their products. :(

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
100%.
That was my main reason for watching and then joining this forum... to get product knowledge, read and share reviews and figure out where to put my money. It may all be a little subjective, but I have been disappointed a number of times (losing a lot of $$$ in the process) and feel that I spend enough on these jackets to expect perfection/ or as close as and at least get what I paid top $ for.
I wouldn't be so pedantic ordering a $250 A-2-a-like.... but $1K+... it better be a real Unicorn ;)

I really don't like it when these guys display these awesome looking, Art-directed photos of these jackets on square framed mannequins and then the jacket you receive doesn't look anything like the photos. Thats why I sometimes ask for pics of a jacket actually being worn from the maker... If they can't be bothered to put a jacket on someone and take a pic, I won't be bothered to give them my business.

Not to take this perspective too far... some guys are making a good effort.
Look at how far John Chapman goes. He not only takes a bevy of pics, but he puts the jackets on and this is a great way to show how the various styles actually 'wear' on a person and how the different hides look in natural light. And he's the one guy who probably doesn't need to promote his jackets...

Perhaps, if a jacket arrives and it is a winner, then it deserves a glowing review, at least for the effort and attention the maker put in to get it right. The guys who do it right should be reviewed IMO.
If it helps their business all the better, without them, we would all be reviewing Amazon A-2s...

For those who make promises and don't deliver... silence. Leave it up to jacket-maker Karma ;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That's a slightly specious argument though. Aero's name is also a widely used prefix in the English language relating to flight. Goodwear and Eastman are not prefixes. It's along the same lines as saying a company making something to do with yachting or marine goods can't use the word "nautical" because there's a company called Nautica.

I'm not surprised we haven't seen anyone wearing an aeronaut or BK Star as they are apparently brand new designs. I've seen a fair few posts around with photos of people with newly purchased BK A-2s and they don't look bad at all. Their "house" offering is very attractive for the price.

But we're talking about an industry where the word 'Aero' has a specific association with another maker. I think we can all agree on that, no?[huh] It's not a massive deal, but it does show quite a lack of imagination on their part. Really don't want to get into an argument on this, so no need to get riled-up, I'm just not sure it's the greatest name for BK within the world they work in.
As far as the lack of pics, I know the new ones are still barely off the dummies. I was talking more about the older ones. I just remember somebody asking in a thread if there had been any BK jackets posted of late, and the only one that came up was a jacket that appeared on VLJ some time back in the year.
Again, really nice looking jackets and would love to see BK get them out there asap.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
But we're talking about an industry where the word 'Aero' has a specific association with another maker. I think we can all agree on that, no?[huh] .

To play devil's advocate, there's also probably people where the word "Aero" in relation to (flight) jackets still means the Aero Leather Clothing Company of Beacon, NY.

But that's perhaps beside the point. The fact of the matter is that Aero's name is a prefix which is in common usage in several dozen words and word families within the English language which pertain to flight or in relation to air. The idea that you can choose a prefix for your company name and that somehow means that no other business can use a word using the same root/prefix is quite frankly ludicrous.

thor

Call Me a Cab
There is a major clothing manufacturer called "Aeropostale" (you find their youth oriented clothing in any mall in America) and most of their products just have "Aero" (in huge lettering) printed on them (baseball caps, t-shirts, polo shirts, etc).
Aeropostale could probably lay claim to the "Aero" moniker as a trademarked brand name.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Not disagreeing with any of that - though I don't think anyone nowadays really connects Aero back to the US, but that's beside the point. I think it's a small point but, and I think it really applies to any industry, to add a name of a prominent competitor to your product, isn't marvellous marketing. Not saying anyone can't/shouldn't, because you're about absolutely right it's a common prefix, it's just 'of note' to do it - as proved by the conversation here, and with a bit more vehemence, over on the VLJ.
Actually, I don't think it really matters, this is just an interesting conversation point. I'm more looking forward to seeing the new jackets. I really like the petrol blue leather on the other thread - it's looks similar to the one used in the Free Wheeler's A-1, which I think everyone agreed, was a cool jacket.

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
I think it's a small point but, and I think it really applies to any industry, to add a name of a prominent competitor to your product, isn't marvellous marketing..

Well, it got you - and those that have subsequently come in to correct you - talking about the product in a public forum

Edward

Bartender
There's the court of public opinion, and there's the court of trade mark law. They can often come to different conclusions, if asked. My professional opinion would be it was an unwise choice (as I believe I mentioned some time ago), but it will be interesting to see the jackets. I had expected to see more BKs around by now given the buzz that they provide accurate jackets at, in yhiz market, a reasonable price, but I don't follow the A2 market so much now. I do like to see jackets postedfrom all makers. Definitely helps to see how they fit on a human. I shied away from a Highwayman for a long time over fit; photos on here influenced my decision to buy, and I am very pleased with it. In that respect, John's Goodwear site is superb for judging fits.

I really like their Aeronaut design- in spite of the name, but the price is comparable with the other brands out there (they all seem to be around $1000 these days). So it really becomes a question of the whole package: reputation, service, & quality as well as potential resale value if it doesnt live up to our perceived reality-along with the design factor for these jackets.

Last edited:
I really like their Aeronaut design- in spite of the name, but the price is comparable with the other brands out there (they all seem to be around $1000 these days). So it really becomes a question of the whole package: reputation, service, & quality as well as potential resale value if it doesnt live up to our perceived reality-along with the design factor for these jackets.
That's the bottom line isn't it? I've got a stack of $100 bills on the table. Who am I going to give them to? They guys that I trust on all the points to get me my jacket, it's that simple.

At least 14-15 months.
I ordered my M422 last July....that was in large part based on Andrews M422, that order he placed several months before as I recall. I seem to remember posts about him waiting for BK to make his jacket as they didn't have all the requisite materials on hand.

I see John Chapman (GW) first appeared there in 2008 also.
Any idea when BK...or their predecessor...started offering jackets?
When did GW start up?

John was on the VLJ much earlier than 2008 as many of us were(since the beginning? 2002 or 2003 maybe...or earlier). The VLJ has been revised several times over the years. The last version was redone in 2008.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn