Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bird Poop

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
So I'm wearing my new '33 suit down the street today and guess what happens? A bird poops on the sleeve! I'm in the bathroom for 10 mins. with wet paper towels dabing it out. I've got it all out, it seems. There's no stain or scent left on the suit. The fabric is so old and I don't want to dry clean it if I don't have to, but does this situation call for this evil?

-ray

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Gee. I hope this doesn't happen to be THE bird the planet is waiting for; you know, the BIRD that carries THE mutation that spreads AVIAN FLU all over the globe, killing millions, beginning with YOU.

It's POOP. Poop warrants cleaning!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
*chuckle* Reminds me of Christmas '84. New cowboy boots, new bike. Riding the bike down the street while wearing the boots...both the bike and the boots got hit! I was furious! My parents, on the other hand, thought it was a riot.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Ray, take it to your cleaners but talk to them about it's age and importance to you. I'm sure they will take good care if they are a good cleaner. I personally would never wear nor when in the business never sell a suit without knowing it had been cleaned. You just never know what the suit carries.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Mr. Rover said:
That was my main worry too, scotrace. I'm not sure if the germ would stay on the fabric even after having all of the crap (pun?) washed out.

I'm not sure if any germs in a garment are really killed. I guess I've told myself so. It would surely lessen any danger?
I didn't mean to seem so flippant earlier. There's probably some risk of damage to a valuable suit and that has to be considered. Finding the right cleaner is the key. But it still seems best to have it cleaned thoroughly by a professional, and give them a heads up as to the nature of the soiling you need to have removed. They should know what to do.

Sooner or later, that flu is going to cross species. Seems a bad gamble to let it go. Avian flu aside, there are myriad nasty things an animal's feces can carry. Best to be rid of the risk.
And here's a point I know you've considered. At some point, you'll be dancing with a lady, and her face will be quite close to your jacket.

Ew.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I just did some research into it- bird flu is transmitted through feces so a washing is probably in order, although if I'm going to get it, I probably already have it since I wore the jacket all day. Most sites talk about breathing in the dried flakes, and the stuff on my jacket never dried before I got it out.
But to be on the safe side, I'm going to call the dry cleaner tomorrow and have it cleaned. Apparently, influenza viruses are sensitive to disinfectants and heat, so the dry cleaning solution and drying should get anything living in my jacket out. In the meantime, the jacket is hanging outside.
Note for the future- always use an umbrella, even if it's a clear day :)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I work around boats and where there are boats,there are birds and their mess. I sympathise with you on this one! Good luck finding a proper dry cleaner. As for bird flu...I'm near their droppings almost daily. Probably breath in the dried residue too (I can smell it,that's for sure!). Still, I'm less concerned about bird flu and more concerned about bird-brains driving while text messaging,etc who nearly run me over as I make my way to and from work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot