Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Beaver Brand fedora - newly bashed diamond crown

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

I have been tweaking a little with a modern, non-vintage, Beaver Brand fedora I acquired cheap on the 'Bay. It is a "Custom" 5X model, which I understand is a little over their 3X standard offering. It has a "one-way" ribbon bow (is this how these are called?).

It came with a fairly soft centerdent bash. I have remodelled it into a diamond crown. Felt has nothing to do with comparable vintage hats, it is thicker and coarser, so I could not give it the sharp definition those old hats allow. I used distilled water as a "modelling tool".

I am pretty happy with the final result. Any opinions welcome!

PICT0662.jpg

PICT0664.jpg

PICT0667.jpg

PICT0666.jpg

Justdog

Practically Family
Fit

Torpedo said:
Hi,

I have been tweaking a little with a modern, non-vintage, Beaver Brand fedora I acquired cheap on the 'Bay. It is a "Custom" 5X model, which I understand is a little over their 3X standard offering. It has a "one-way" ribbon bow (is this how these are called?).

It came with a fairly soft centerdent bash. I have remodelled it into a diamond crown. Felt has nothing to do with comparable vintage hats, it is thicker and coarser, so I could not give it the sharp definition those old hats allow. I used distilled water as a "modelling tool".

I am pretty happy with the final result. Any opinions welcome!

Hat really suits your face. Nice bash nice dimensions;)

DerMann

Practically Family
I have a fairly standard modern Beaver Brand fedora in a center dent bash.

You are quite correct, the fur is quite thick and almost coarse. Thought I was the only one to notice.

Mine has the exact same ribbon style, and at first, I though it was a defect, but it looks really sharp.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Nice, Really nice, I gotta learn how to do that....

From what I read, just wet with distilled water, shape and let dry .... Is that really all there is to it ????

Once again, NICE>>...

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
That hat looks really nice. Love the diamond!

I've got an old Stetson I've been tinkering with. I haven't wet or steamed it yet, just sort of dry bashed it a little. I'll have to try to get a diamond as nice as yours in it sometime.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Ordinary Guy said:
Nice, Really nice, I gotta learn how to do that....

From what I read, just wet with distilled water, shape and let dry .... Is that really all there is to it ????

Once again, NICE>>...

Hello, yes, that's all there is to it.

Beowulf67 said:
That hat looks really nice. Love the diamond!

I've got an old Stetson I've been tinkering with. I haven't wet or steamed it yet, just sort of dry bashed it a little. I'll have to try to get a diamond as nice as yours in it sometime.

If your hat is a vintage Stetson, you are likely to obtain better results. The felt of this particular hat is not of the finer variety; with better felt, the crease will be more defined and sharper.

Regards!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
Yep I always use water instead of steam, I think its alot easier.

Amen.

You just have to have a little patience for the drying process but it's worth it for the control it offers.

Torpedo - You do a black hat well! I like that ribbon treatment a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran