Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Leather Jacket and Khaki Pants

kronos77

One of the Regulars
A black leather and khaki pants? I don't mind, but I am a bit color blind. So let me ask the board. Is this good, acceptable, or laughable?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Given that some US pilots wore close-to-black seal coloured jackets with their khakis, I shouldn't imagine it'll be too much of a clash.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
IMO a black leather jacket and khaki pants coordinate well with black belt and black shoes.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't do it, to me they scream "American dad"! But then, they aren't really a thing in Europe so it might just be a cultural thing.
When i think khaki pants i see Alan Harper, and i just can't imagine that looking good with a black leather jacket.
Sure, the colors don't clash, but what each garments stands for are so opposed i can't see it working.

How do you recognise an American tourist anywhere in the world? Khaki pants and white trainers.

I have no idea what 'white trainers' are.
However, I think a black leather jacket and khakis go together just fine. As Fanch suggest, matching belt and shoes/boots brings it all together.
HD

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I have no idea what 'white trainers' are.
However, I think a black leather jacket and khakis go together just fine. As Fanch suggest, matching belt and shoes/boots brings it all together.
HD

Sorry, i forgot about the language barrier! I think on your side they are called sneakers...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
How do you recognise an American tourist anywhere in the world? Khaki pants and white trainers.

Won't see this American tourist wearing white trainers/sneakers: Either brown or black Mephisto Match walking shoes that my kids disparage but are comfortable, sturdy, and don't clash with anything. I would tend to wear a black hat, although maybe one could get away with a khaki hat to match khaki pants, particularly fall/spring seasons in Texas, keeping in mind no one wears a leather jacket in Texas during the summer. Of course make sure your shirt doesn't clash with what you are wearing.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wouldn't do it, to me they scream "American dad"! But then, they aren't really a thing in Europe so it might just be a cultural thing.
When i think khaki pants i see Alan Harper, and i just can't imagine that looking good with a black leather jacket.
Sure, the colors don't clash, but what each garments stands for are so opposed i can't see it working.

People are going to make whatever associations they're going to make, but if you lay out a black leather jacket, boots, and a belt next to a pair of khakis they look very good together. Fanch is right.
Oh, and how do you recognize British tourists in Miami? They're the purple and pink ones.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
People are going to make whatever associations they're going to make, but if you lay out a black leather jacket, boots, and a belt next to a pair of khakis they look very good together. Fanch is right.
Oh, and how do you recognize British tourists in Miami? They're the purple and pink ones.

I'm afraid the purple ones are the Scots!

Honestly, i think this is a cultural thing. If you guys in the US think it's a good look, do it.

CBI

One Too Many
In the spirit of fun and no worries IMO: black leather jacket and khakis do not look good together. The contrast is too stark unless the khakis are pretty dark. I just don't think these colors work well. That said, its pretty rare when I see black leather anything that I like. Unless a jacket has a wonderful dyed finish with some depth to it or lots of wear with undertones coming through, back leather just doesn't do it for me. Perhaps the proliferation of characterless/cheap black leather products has skewed my view. Ironically, I look best in blacks and grays: fleece, cotton, wool...no problem. I own a few black leather items for work, belts, shoes but that's it. Not expecting much agreement but IMO. I do love dark, dark seal but for me its far enough from black, a "warm" enough color for leather that it works well. Just my oddball opinion.

Your opinion isn't so oddball. There is too much association that goes with black leather jackets (slimy gangsters, rocker tough guy wannabe, and as mentioned the Orvis dad). I like a black leather jacket that is different. A button up would do it for me- something far away from the black leather zipper crowd. That said, I've seen some beautiful black jackets in here, but the should be worn with jeans or non khaki pants IMHO.

Grow up with my American Dad wearing such a combo - with black penny loafers and belts. I have old pics - mostly black and white and he always looked great. His khakis were on the lighter side, so I think that's more inline with the look I recall. He wore things like I've seen Steve McQueen wear - which was often a tapered, lighter shade of khaki or denim.

Again - don't worry what anyone thinks here or elsewhere. Put it on - you'll know if you like it or not. There is literally nothing I can think of that isn't worn out in the real-world these days. Conformity is pretty much out the window...

tonypaj

Practically Family
Grow up with my American Dad wearing such a combo - with black penny loafers and belts. I have old pics - mostly black and white and he always looked great. His khakis were on the lighter side, so I think that's more inline with the look I recall. He wore things like I've seen Steve McQueen wear - which was often a tapered, lighter shade of khaki or denim.

Again - don't worry what anyone thinks here or elsewhere. Put it on - you'll know if you like it or not. There is literally nothing I can think of that isn't worn out in the real-world these days. Conformity is pretty much out the window...

Well, I agree 100%. My problem is that the black leather jacket bought here to wear with jeans, khakis, all that stuff, is lost somewhere in the postal universe. Don't have another one for now to wear, I do know the result as far as colors go.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
black leather and khaki look likes cop in my opinion, especially when paired with black boots/ shoes & black belt.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy