Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Leather Jacket and Khaki Pants

devilish

A-List Customer
There is a photograph in the Lightning 'Vintage Leather Jackets' magazine that shows a group of male and female early bikers. In it one of the men is wearing what I'm sure is a black rider jacket with some (probably) ex-service issue chinos. I've always thought it was a great look. I'll try and get a decent pic of it and post it here. The key to the look for me is the trim fit of the jacket with the wider leg of the pants. The picture is in black and white but that doesn't deter from the fact that a black jacket can work with that style of trouser.

There is a photograph in the Lightning 'Vintage Leather Jackets' magazine that shows a group of male and female early bikers. In it one of the men is wearing what I'm sure is a black rider jacket with some (probably) ex-service issue chinos. I've always thought it was a great look. I'll try and get a decent pic of it and post it here. The key to the look for me is the trim fit of the jacket with the wider leg of the pants. The picture is in black and white but that doesn't deter from the fact that a black jacket can work with that style of trouser.

I wholeheartedly agree!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I think what some of the guys here are picking up on (Sloan, devilish, Monitor, myself) is that if the pants are proper repros of the real thing, then it looks fine, but if they have added turn-ups, pleats, and other features, then you're getting into middle-aged man with no style territory. I think it's like the times you see a leather jacket that's (mention no names) 'a classic style, updated!'. If it's 'updated', then it's not classic, and it will look unfashionable in 6 months (and never stylish).

A 'classic/iconic look' is that for a reason.

This is what I'm talking about, and how I remember my dad. Just place the black leather jacket and black shoes in this and you can see it's a great, classic look. Well, IMO as an old 'Merican.

gehilts-main1.jpg

Big J

Call Me a Cab
This is what I'm talking about, and how I remember my dad. Just place the black leather jacket and black shoes in this and you can see it's a great, classic look. Well, IMO as an old 'Merican.

gehilts-main1.jpg

See. That's a great look.

I think what some of the guys here are picking up on (Sloan, devilish, Monitor, myself) is that if the pants are proper repros of the real thing, then it looks fine, but if they have added turn-ups, pleats, and other features, then you're getting into middle-aged man with no style territory. I think it's like the times you see a leather jacket that's (mention no names) 'a classic style, updated!'. If it's 'updated', then it's not classic, and it will look unfashionable in 6 months (and never stylish).

Entirely true, Big J! And yeah, the 'classic but updated' style has always made me cringe, as they often turn it into a disaster of some kind.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
And if the answer is yes, then "would I look as cool as Steve wearing it " would be another great question to ask yourself...:D

We're talking about being in the ball park here. The details can be worked on, and 'cool' will follow. I personally think that it's always possible to look the best you can be, you just have to be realistic about your body shape, age etc. McQueen's look is a great one to follow because it's so effortless, simple and elegant: unfussy silhouettes, fabrics and everything fitted him properly (that last one in particular is key).

Worf

I'll Lock Up
When I wear khaki pants I either wear russet, brown or green leather jackets. With black leather I wear either jeans or grey slacks. Just me I suppose.

Worf

Edward

Bartender
It's not something I much mix myself, but as ever, if it looks good, do it.... Johnny Strabler's cap was a black peak with a tan body, and he wore the hell out of it with black leather....

brando_wild_one.jpg

I think it works best with lighter shades of khaki, myself - bone, cream, that sort of shade. Too brown and it looks odd to me. (FWIW, for the first time ever today I managed to leave the house in a dark brown belt / shoes, with a black hat/jacket, and I hate how it looks. I almost went back to change..... I would have, too, if I'd been gonig to spend all day outside....

black leather and khaki look likes cop in my opinion, especially when paired with black boots/ shoes & black belt.

That never occurred to me, but I can see where you're coming from; I imagine this will vary depending on what the local polis wear where you are..... Here in London, it's always blue. Back in the old country, it was a very dark, almost-black, shade of green....

handymike, I definitely meant khaki as a color.

I was convinced by someone a few years back that black shoes and khaki colored pants don't look so good as brown shoes. I realize black can go with anything but I wonder if the effect of the combination is that it looks acceptable but obviously lacking something.

If khaki pants are ok with a black leather, must the shoes be black too? There was a thread about shoes and jackets a while back. Tobacco colored shoes, khaki pants and a black jacket?

If you're going to do it, I'd say keep all the leather black. I don't like black and brown leather mixed, personally. Looks all wrong to my eye. I also think that a dark brown will look ill-matched whereas more of a contrast looks deliberate.

These are nice. IT's such a shame Buzz are so limited in their size-range.

Neither of those are a good look. That said, they'd be equally hideous in monochrome, or with brown leather instead of black. The issue here is poor cut and styling, not colour coordination.

A 'classic/iconic look' is that for a reason.

There's room to play with it if you're looking for a civilian look rather than a military impression (pleats, turnups), but certainly once you start to radically alter the cut, you lose the point.

gehilts-main1.jpg

Funny thing is that for years - before I properly discovered the A2, or knew what one was, back when this was just "that cool leather jacket Steve Macqueen wore in The Great Escape", I actually thought it was black. Definitely the darkest A2 I've ever seen.

Arnold

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't do it, to me they scream "American dad"! But then, they aren't really a thing in Europe so it might just be a cultural thing.
When i think khaki pants i see Alan Harper, and i just can't imagine that looking good with a black leather jacket.
Sure, the colors don't clash, but what each garments stands for are so opposed i can't see it working.

How do you recognise an American tourist anywhere in the world? Khaki pants and white trainers.

Uh, nope. Re: Europe vs US I feel compelled to point out that black leather jks with khaki pants was the std police uniform in Germany for decades and is still seen sometimes even after they changed the khaki to blue.

In other words, "nothing screams cop like" what the OP said with Germans over age 20. ^^

Edit: it was probably more like OD pants and khaki shirts now that I think of it. So you see, it's been a long time since it being standard but the sheer image of this combo still persists.

Last edited:

devilish

A-List Customer
Ok, so here is the photo I mentioned earlier in the thread. Black rider with service issue chinos. Taken from the Japanese Lightning mook on vintage leather jackets. Sorry for the wait.

IMG_0012_zpslu0b3wpp.jpg

Personally I think this is a great period type look. One I will probably copy when my vintage rider arrives next week. It may be a very dark brown but I think it's black judging by how its color tone matches other things in the photo?

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
I just realized, after spending most of today on a bike (black BMW), that I was wearing a black leather jacket (Vanson CHP), with Khaki pants (my standard 5.11 brand, canvass duty-pants)......and not one person threw rocks at me. Not that I noticed, anyway.
Do I get any points for having a burgundy tee shirt and black boots? :)

Arnold

One of the Regulars
Personally I think this is a great period type look.

What I like about this is that people wore jackets smaller, relative to their build. Notwithstanding the distortion due to curved paper here, nor the fact that people DID have slimmer physiques.
Today a tight fit seems popular only with cheap high street pleather jackets for the <25 age group. The really good ones I see almost exclusively oversized. The tight fit seen here provides better protection, BETTER freedom of movement if the cut is right (because if it sits tight around the waist, it slides up a bit, leaving more room for the shoulders) and in terms of better look, the sleeves don't crease excessively at the wrist. You actually get to see your watch, even. ^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic