Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Suit

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I'm thinking the white shirt is very "History Boys"
history_boys.jpg

112099.jpg

Lokar

A-List Customer
I think it depends on what else you wear - If you just have a black suit, white shirt and a black tie that's one thing, but if you have a nice (non-black) waistcoat, and/or a nice tie, etc., then it can look fantastic.

When I think of a black suit though, I always think of Jeremy Brett's Holmes:

medium_holmes7.jpg

Obviously though, a black suit with a morning coat is an entirely different affair!

Maguire

Practically Family
The first suit i got (outside of a sports coat) was a black suit and i have a black suit and a black blazer in the closet. While lately i've been wearing blue or gray more often, i still find black to be best for some things, for it is the easiest to match up with and oftentimes if a shirt can't be matched with any of the other colors, black is the best bet.

Then again in New York City black suits are more acceptable from what i've gathered than elsewhere.

MarcusB

Familiar Face
Senator Jack said:
Yeah, the black shirt works way better with that tie. The red pops while with the white shirt everything gets lost. The tie, I suggest, is a bit long and I'd shorten it by using a windsor. How about a firey pocket silk? If not, try basic white. Just something else to break up the monolithic black. (See, guys? There's a method to my madness.)

Regards,

Jack
Yeah, with the white shirt the tie like falls into the background sort of thing. In the first pic the tie is done in a windsor. A pocket silk might work, but I'm into the whole single-coloured theme :).

MarcusB

Familiar Face
You've hit the nail on the head there!!!!, with the black shirt I felt a lot more comfortable in it and the button-down collar just don't work with a suit. I'm also one who likes dressing all in black when it comes to a suit, and I'm actually wearing that suit with the black shirt as I type!lol!.

However, I'm still considering the white-shirt look, I also have a blue shirt with white pinstripes on it, but white shirts are better for the workplace.

I'm thinking of a bright white shirt, so the tie stands out more. I might try my blue tie.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
A sharp fitting black suit with some substance and texture is stunning.
Remember the popularity of the close fitting black SB suit a few years ago?
Short, close fitting jacket and tapered pants.
It was a good look.

A cheap, thin black suit, however, may look worse than a similar example in a different colour. Perhaps.

B
T

BruceTracy

One of the Regulars
MarcusB said:

I want a tie like that, except with the colors reversed. It would look like the ties worn by Dick Tracy and Clark Kent. :)
I often see ties similar to what I'm looking for, but, so far, all the ones I've seen have navy stripes instead of black stripes. :(
Can anyone please help me find a cheaply priced silk tie like what I'm looking for?

MarcusB

Familiar Face
BruceTracy said:
I want a tie like that, except with the colors reversed. It would look like the ties worn by Dick Tracy and Clark Kent. :)
I often see ties similar to what I'm looking for, but, so far, all the ones I've seen have navy stripes instead of black stripes. :(
Can anyone please help me find a cheaply priced silk tie like what I'm looking for?
I got that tie 11 years ago! :), I guess you can find ones like that or the colours reversed on eBay :).

Cameraphone pic from today, in my all black suit!lol!

3313370365_d02c6ae8aa_b.jpg

Rhabryn

Familiar Face
In every picture with the black shirt, you have a huge smile.
In every picture otherwise, you have varying degrees of a "so... here I am... are we done yet?" expression.

I think the psuedo-white shirt (the light blue shirt) picture (which looks white in the picture) looks great. I am just one of those guys who doesn't love the matching suit/shirt color combo... but it certainly has a good number of fans, and you should feel completely comfortable wearing what you like.

Maguire

Practically Family
I don't know but arent' we talking about a simple black suit, not tone on tone pisntripes etc? That's CHEATING! While a solid black suit will get questions about being an FBI person or a blues brother, pinstripes don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass