Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blended vs. Single Malt

EAL

New in Town
I've always loved single malt whiskys and think I've tried a very good number of them. I alternate between buying a bottle of a standby and looking for a bottle of one I haven't tried.

Recently I began trying out various blended Scotch whisky. I haven't found one I can tolerate outside of the Johnnie Walker products, all of which I enjoy. In fact, lately I've gravitated to the Red Label which is at the bottom of their line, but I like it very much, even to the exclusion of my favorite single malts for the last several weeks.

Any other whisky drinkers find a blend that suits them?

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
The Water of Life

OK< OK, I guess I've swallowed as much or more than I should. I have had more discussions than I care to admit about this subject. Just how many distilleries can there be in Scotland. After MUCH study, I find that when it comes right down to it, Johnny Walker is as good a factory whiskey as I have found. From Cigar Malt to Sherry Cask, there very good, but day in and day out, give me JW Red. Barley whiskey is Barley whiskey. I do think that in order to call yourself a master distiller, you have to be able to distill single malt for the sake of consistency at least. It is easier to blend whiskey for a consistent taste thats for sure. SO, I think I'll have another JW Red with soda and see if I'm wrong.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Malts-

The "famous" blends are, in my opinion over-rated and over-priced.
A good Malt can be had for less than a blend.

But that said, I would never say no to a glass of Chivas with plenty of ice,
on a hot, summer's day.

I would also never buy a blend again.

Springbank, Ardbeg, Laphroaig and The Glenlivet wil keep me happy.

B
T

rockyj

One of the Regulars
From the piper!

For many years I didn't notice or care If it was single or blended. But over the years at all the Highland games and gigs that I played in. Also when it was "TIME TA PAY THE PIPER" (That's a shot after a tune) I got spoiled on the good stuff, 15,20 year single. It is sorta like good roasted coffee over the can stuff.:)

EAL

New in Town
Prairie Shade said:
OK< OK, I guess I've swallowed as much or more than I should. I have had more discussions than I care to admit about this subject. Just how many distilleries can there be in Scotland. After MUCH study, I find that when it comes right down to it, Johnny Walker is as good a factory whiskey as I have found. From Cigar Malt to Sherry Cask, there very good, but day in and day out, give me JW Red. Barley whiskey is Barley whiskey. I do think that in order to call yourself a master distiller, you have to be able to distill single malt for the sake of consistency at least. It is easier to blend whiskey for a consistent taste thats for sure. SO, I think I'll have another JW Red with soda and see if I'm wrong.

I think we're on the same page. Well said Prairie Shade. The only place we part ways is the soda, but I'm not a whisky snob, I enjoy mine on the rocks mostly which is another mode the purists will scoff at, so enjoy it as you like it.

When I was in Thailand helping out with the Tsunami relief, after things cooled down with the search efforts I got to spending more time outside the hotel I was staying in, and I began spending a lot of time across the street at a shop house. The locals preferred their Scotch - they drank some product produced by Seagrams called "100 Pipers" with soda water. I'd sit around this little plastic table with these local guys and drink it their way, smiling and wondering what they were saying, and for the time and place, it was great.

The lady who ran the place started going into town at some point on here little motorcycle just for me to buy JW Red for me. Red was available at the hotel's convenience store, but she got it at half the price somewhere. I could go on and on. In a nutshell, good times. I spent over a month there and loved every minute of it. Great people.

Anyway, that was the only time I ever drank scotch with soda - living in Hawaii, it melds with the 'rocks" quick enough to cut it into a potion that is nice to drink. Once in a while I'll drink a single neat or cut with a little water, but heathen that I am, I prefer whisky over ice.

Thanks for the replys all - great discussion.

Keep drinking that bourbon Kitty, that leaves more of the good stuff for me! :p

olive bleu

One Too Many
I've had my nose in the air for quite a few years about this, and would never dare let the likes of a blend darken the door of my liquer cabinet, till my brother-in-law (who never comes to stay with us without 3-4 bottles of something under his arm)introduced us to Johnny Walker Red. It doesn't replace my Dalwhinnie, mind you, but I don't mind keeping a bolltle of it around for emergencies(like a storm), or serving to people you don't particularly like, .........or to those who really couldn't appreciate the difference anyway:D

lindylady

A-List Customer
olive bleu said:
I've had my nose in the air for quite a few years about this, and would never dare let the likes of a blend darken the door of my liquer cabinet, till my brother-in-law (who never comes to stay with us without 3-4 bottles of something under his arm)introduced us to Johnny Walker Red. It doesn't replace my Dalwhinnie, mind you, but I don't mind keeping a bolltle of it around for emergencies(like a storm), or serving to people you don't particularly like, .........or to those who really couldn't appreciate the difference anyway:D

lol Johnny Walker Red isn't bad. What about their black label? I can't remember how that tasted. I would like to taste single malt scotch one of these days.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I have a dislike of Johnny Red because I used to go drinking with a guy who liked it. I'd have the same and we would just talk and drink and not even stop to eat. Red was not kind to my stomach in such circs.

czack

One of the Regulars
Drinking on an empty stomach is never a good idea, no matter what. Reconfirmed this several times.

EAL

New in Town
olive bleu said:

What was the source of your aversion to blends?

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
I've never found a blend I've cared for aside from Johnnie Blue. Maybe it's because I began drinking single malts first? Drinking blends just always seemed a bit backwards to me.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
I don't drink alcohol myself anymore,i literally got fed up with the taste of it all.but,every year,christmas,i would buy my grandmother a large bottle of glenfyddich single malt scottish made whiskey.in the u.k,glenfyddich is viewed as a very good quality whiskey to buy.:)

farnham54

A-List Customer
I just had Glenmorangie Port Wood--It's a bit sweeter then regular GM, but damn tasty. Get a couple of scotch-loving friends together and try a bottle; thats what we did.

For the budget-minded, a bottle of McClellands is excellent--In Ontario, it's about 10 bucks cheaper then Glenfiddich, but just as good.

And, clearly, I like single malts better. I had a Blended once--It was Lambs. I'll never forgive myself.

Cheers
Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo