Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blended vs. Single Malt

JennyLou

Practically Family
Ethan Bentley said:
I've heard good things about it [Hedonism]. I recently had Compass Box's "Peat Monster" - well I do like them peaty.

P.S. JennyLou, nice choice :)

Has anyone tried Johnny Walker Blue Label? Any thoughts?
Thank you. I admit I love Johnny Walker Black Label a little bit too much. lol

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
I'm much more of a Bourbon drinker, but I'm that odd Bourbon drinker who also likes Scotch. I was given a bottle of Chivas last year and enjoyed it very much. I also found a 40 year old bottle of Teacher's in a trove of booze in my basement that hadn't been opened in 40 years. That was a hoot. I read a blog entry by - someone - who said he felt Teacher's was an amazingly good whisky for the price. I agree.
As far as single malts are concerned, I've enjoyed Laphroaig a few times when I was in the mood for it. But I'd say I enjoyed MacAllen's 24 year old the best.
I tend to think of single malts and blends as entirely different drinks, as separate from each other as they are from Rye or Bourbon.
Has anyone ever started a Canadian whisky thread? There's Canadian Club and Canadian Mist. Any others? Good stuff as well.
BTW, I've noticed a lot of restaurants in New York have been serving Single malts as an after dinner drink, on the same menu as cognac and liqueurs. Anyone use it this way?

I quite like Canadian Whisky too, but there's not so much available in the UK. I've got a small bottle of Crown Royal that I haven't tried yet.

I've seen people drink Scotch after dinner, some people even put a single malt in their coffee :eusa_doh:, but I think Cognac is still better for a post-dinner tipple; Cognac seems more acceptable.
Scotch is nice for a little later in the evening, I've never strongly associated Scotch with food.

anon`

One Too Many
Most assuredly single malts, with a marked preference for Highland, followed by Islay malts.

Never really met a blended anything that I liked... they are come off seeming "thin" and watery to me, and that's a spirits-killer in my book.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
For our anniversary, my wife bought me a bottle of the Laphroaig Quarter Cask malt. It is much sweeter than the traditional Laphroaig, which I enjoy but many others describe as like drinking kerosene!

If Laphroaig would ordinarily turn you off, this is worth a try, at least by the dram!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Ethan Bentley said:
I quite like Canadian Whisky too, but there's not so much available in the UK. I've got a small bottle of Crown Royal that I haven't tried yet.

I've seen people drink Scotch after dinner, some people even put a single malt in their coffee :eusa_doh:, but I think Cognac is still better for a post-dinner tipple; Cognac seems more acceptable.
Scotch is nice for a little later in the evening, I've never strongly associated Scotch with food.

There is finally a Canadian single malt - Glen Breton, from Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia (latin for New Scotland for those not familiar with our maritime provinces!). It is about $80 Canadian a bottle, compared to about $30 for a similar-sized bottle of CC or Crown Royal.

They recently won a court case brought by the Scottish distillers association, which claimed that use of the term "Glen" was misleading and suggesting Scots origin - they won because there is a Glen Breton in Cape Breton, and the whisky is clearly marked as being a Canadian single malt, vice a single malt "scotch">

As for food pairings, there is a Scottish-style pub in Ottawa called the Highlander, which has about 140 malts available, and sells "flights" of scotch (4 malt samplers), and recommended pairings with food.

Plus, they serve haggis which comes with a dram (they use a house blend for that).

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
MisterCairo said:
For our anniversary, my wife bought me a bottle of the Laphroaig Quarter Cask malt. It is much sweeter than the traditional Laphroaig, which I enjoy but many others describe as like drinking karosene!

For a drink that someone loves there will always be someone that hates it and vice versa.

MisterCairo said:
There is finally a Canadian single malt - Glen Breton, from Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia (latin for New Scotland for those not familiar with our maritime provinces!). It is about $80 Canadian a bottle, compared to about $30 for a similar-sized bottle of CC or Crown Royal.

They recently won a court case brought by the Scottish distillers association, which claimed that use of the term "Glen" was misleading and suggesting Scots origin - they won because there is a Glen Breton in Cape Breton, and the whisky is clearly marked as being a Canadian single malt, vice a single malt "scotch">

As for food pairings, there is a Scottish-style pub in Ottawa called the Highlander, which has about 140 malts available, and sells "flights" of scotch (4 malt samplers), and recommended pairings with food.

Plus, they serve haggis which comes with a dram (they use a house blend for that).

That sounds like a superb little place, reminds me of Edinburgh :). I'll have a look out for this new malt, something that I'd like to try.

Thanks - EB

Opas Coat

Familiar Face
MisterCairo said:

I have a bottle of that myself in my display cabinet behind two of my favorite pint glasses, in the box with the lid mostly open perched proudly. I have yet to sample it. I am reserving it for the day I propose to my girl friend. (I hope she don't read this). I bought it short of a month ago.

My Usual's are a bottle of "Alberta Springs" Canadian Rye and Bushmills Irish. I have found that Glenlivet and JW Red are very similar but just different enough to tell the difference. I like Bushmills more because it is so very smooth compared to JW Red. JW Red whilst often fine for an every day evening glass is far too.... Dry? Regardless most scotches always taste like a second glass is in order to me :p

Highlander

A-List Customer
Well, I am a certified (or certifiable) Single Malt fan. Esp the Islays... Love the Ardbeg, the Laphroig etc. I like the other Single Malts almost as well.

But if I am left to drink a blended Scotch. The Famous Grouse is a good one, and quite reasonably priced..

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Johnny Walker Black is very nice in my opinion. Most blended scotches I've tried have been at least decent.

Perhaps a different thread, but I occasionally enjoy a good quality rum, particularly dark rum, neat or just on ice. As with scotch, all rums are equal, but some are much more equal than others! What you'd add to Coke you'd never sip neat (rum, that is).

Any thoughts?

For our American/British/Australian friends, do any of you enjoy the Canadian mix rye and ginger?

CaptainB

Familiar Face
I'm an Islay fan myself, at the moment I'm beginning to extend my knowledge beyond the standard bottlings. I especially love the Laphroaig Quarter Cask for it's rich, sweet taste. I also acquired a bottle of Lagavulin 12y. Cask Strength which is very good, but I haven't found the time to really make up my mind about it yet.

Talisker 10y. is also among my favorites and recently I discovered the Glenlivet 12y. - has somebody tried out the 15y. and can compare these two?

As I started with single malts I don't know that many blends, but I'd recommend Johnny Walker Green Label, at least if you're into the smoky thing.

MisterCairo, what brands of rum would you advise to try? Sometimes, when I feel like whisky is too harsh for the moment, I really enjoy sipping a good rum, but I only know Ron Zacapa 23 Anos yet. I would be grateful for some suggestions :)

Best regards,
Captain B

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
MisterCairo said:
Perhaps a different thread, but I occasionally enjoy a good quality rum, particularly dark rum, neat or just on ice. As with scotch, all rums are equal, but some are much more equal than others! What you'd add to Coke you'd never sip neat (rum, that is).

That is an excellent idea! I have taken the liberty of setting one up here;
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=41551

I hope you don't mind me being so forward.

As for whisky and ginger, I am indeed a fan. We have something called Ginger Wine over here in the UK, anyone else get this?, which goes very nicely. Otherwise I'l just use Ginger Ale.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
MisterCairo said:
UPDATE!

Further to my post above regarding the Canadian single malt, Glen Breton, it appears my Scottish kin are seeking higher guidance:

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/06/08/glenora-whisky-appeal.html

The Supreme Court of Canada will now determine the fate of our only single malt's name.

I will be purchasing my first bottle in support!

Slainte!

Thanks for the update, I think sometimes these restrictions go to far having "Scotch" I think is enough. I'm going to be on the look out for this next week.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I'm a single malt man my self. For the extra peaty smokey flavor my favorite it Laphroaig 15 year old. Next would be a good Glenlivet 15 year old. But definitely the single malt. Sorry, just couldn't seem to wrap my taste buds around a blend.

Cheers!

Dan

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I started trying Scotches, they were strictly blends and I immediately decided Scotch was not for me. It wasn't until I started my brief forray into the world of wine/spirits that I had an opportunity to try a single malt and WOAH, what a difference.

I've had JW Blue, Black, Green and Red, and as already stated, these are merely OK, but not often worth the price tag. On the other hand, there are some blends out there I wouldn't even wash my windows with! :mad:

When it comes to Scotch, give me the Single Malts! :eusa_clap

Opas Coat

Familiar Face
I was at a pub the other night with my girlfriend and her mother buying them a few social drinks due to a stressful time in the family. I had a Pint of cyder, a semi girley milk shake/ drink with Bailie's and finally a Johnny Black. It was a 1oz serving in a tumbler glass. Whilst sill a fine scotch to me, I still prefer my Bushmills Original Smooth and Mellow because its well... Smoother and mellower. Comparing Black and Red is like saying Red is Gasoline and Black is Diesel. I think that the red tastes stronger and more up front then the black.

Ethan Bentley said:
I've heard good things about it [Hedonism]. I recently had Compass Box's "Peat Monster" - well I do like them peaty.

P.S. JennyLou, nice choice :)

Has anyone tried Johnny Walker Blue Label? Any thoughts?

After having drank Single Malt Scotch from various producers over the years, Blue label was like drinking water in comparison. [huh] However the same is true for Black Label to me. [huh]
When I think about it, if I am going to put out the big bucks that Blue Label demands then I might as well buy a good single malt that I like. :rolleyes: In passing, I have a slight bit more respect for Dewars since Alberfeldy is its base. ;)
I have seen Peat Monster but I was always apprehensive about the wet mop taste that it might deliver. :p How was it? As bad as The Frog? :D

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Glen Breton Lives On - At Least in Canada

UPDATE!!!!!

The Supreme Court of Canada refused to hear the appeal by the Scotch Association, meaning the Federal Court of Appeal decision stands.

Result, Glen Breton can be continued to be marketed as such within Canada.

The Scotch association says it will continue to oppose its use outside of Canada, meaning a jurisdiction by jurisdiction challenge.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/06/11/novascotia-glenora-scotch.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo