Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blended vs. Single Malt

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Sad day today…

While packing up my Scotch cabinet, I dropped a half full bottle of Aberlour 10 Year Old, smashing it all over the basement floor. Admittedly, the reason it dropped was I was holding it by the top, and the cork snapped (due to drying out), but still - vexing.

This is the second bottle of single malt that I've smashed - the first was a full bottle of Lagavulin, about 10 years ago. I slipped on some ice on the say into a Xmas party, and had to eject the bottle to prevent it smashing where I was falling.

Of course, no telling how many bottles of single malt have returned the favor. :cheers1:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I am a scotch man. I've had a couple scotches that I thought were not top of the line, and they certainly weren't, but I've never had a scotch I flat out didn't like.

I am one of the Islay scotch drinkers, a rare breed. Most people stick with Johnnie Walker or the Glenlivet (both of which make excellent scotch, but are rather tame.) My favorite scotch is Laphroiag, which has a deserved reputation for robustness and strength of flavors. And it's darn good, but of all my friends, I'm the only one who drinks it. Which means I get the bottle to myself :D

My favorite blend is Johnnie Walker Black. The Red is okay, but the Black is smoother with a bit more developed peat flavor.

I've had several different scotches, but I'm always trying to try new things and learning.

mikepara

Practically Family
I think a nice Irish maybe a Black Bush, though blended is a nice Whiskey. Or the Bushmills, 21 year old Single is delicious. In my middle ages I finally learned how to drink Scotch Whiskey. The secret - avoid ice and if needed mix with room temperature water. Don't be afraid to water it to taste, why do you think there's whisky / whiskey branded water jugs on every bar?

If it has to be Scotch and not Irish. Try Lagavulin: it's got the peat but not the burnt tyres of Laphroig, or Abelour Abunadh.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Laphroaig should have a splash of water to release the smells and flavors more effectively. On the rocks numbs the tounge and reduces the flavor. Of course, if you don't like Laphroaig, that may be a good thing ;) I think you either like it or hate it.

I didn't mind Black Bush, or Bushmills, but Jameson is my favorite Irish.

patterson

One of the Regulars
I used to be a “Scotch man” and have tried pretty much every peaty brew they ferment up there - from blends to some of the cask-strength stuff. After a time I was at a party and somebody handed me a class of bourbon instead of the Glenfiditch I was expecting, and I have to say I enjoyed the bourbon a heck of a lot more...

Kinda like cigars and blondes, I think I was just liking the idea of scotch and ignoring the reality - for me that is... These days it is bourbon or good old Kentucky whiskey for me... Oh, and brunettes... A lot smoother and I don't have to worry about the grimace sneaking out (applies equally to bourbon and brunettes)...;)

IMHO...

Cobden

Practically Family
Been into Scotch for a long time, and must say nothing beats a good Laphroig or Ardbeg, and the other Islay malts. Blends are fine for mixing, but that's it!

If you want something rather different, try the Old Poultney. A very unusual flavour for a Scotch.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Single Malts all the way. Once in a while I'll buy a bottle of Famous Grouse Scotch that's quite palatable for blends.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I can recommend Jim Murray's "Classic Blended Scotch" this really opened my eyes.

My blend favourites at the moment are Johnny Walker Black Label and Johnny Walker Gold Label although I quite enjoyed the new Famous Grouse when I recently tried it.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love the island singles as well, and Laphroig is my favorite Islay. Talisker from Skye is a very close second.

In a blend, I drink White Horse, which has as its base Lagavulin, which is (or was) supposed to be the most powerful Islay made). I think it is much better than any of the other blends, most of which come over as unbalanced and a bit harsh. I like all whiskys and whiskeys, neat.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
A tip from the trade...

As the owner of a boutique wine and spirits shop I have had the pleasure of tasting much of what is out there. So far, and I know this is subjective, the best I have tasted is Compass Box. They make a range of superior small batch blended Scotches in most styles. My favorite is "Hedonism" which retails for $99 but is worth every penny in my book. At half the price, "Asyla" at $49 is a great bargain.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
WineGuy said:
As the owner of a boutique wine and spirits shop I have had the pleasure of tasting much of what is out there. So far, and I know this is subjective, the best I have tasted is Compass Box. They make a range of superior small batch blended Scotches in most styles. My favorite is "Hedonism" which retails for $99 but is worth every penny in my book. At half the price, "Asyla" at $49 is a great bargain.

I've heard good things about it [Hedonism]. I recently had Compass Box's "Peat Monster" - well I do like them peaty.

P.S. JennyLou, nice choice :)

Has anyone tried Johnny Walker Blue Label? Any thoughts?

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
Glenlivet mostly, I just got a bottle of 15 year old that is very good. I also like Macallan, as well. As for blends, I like Famous Grouse and Dewars. My sin is that I almost always take them on the rocks.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm much more of a Bourbon drinker, but I'm that odd Bourbon drinker who also likes Scotch. I was given a bottle of Chivas last year and enjoyed it very much. I also found a 40 year old bottle of Teacher's in a trove of booze in my basement that hadn't been opened in 40 years. That was a hoot. I read a blog entry by - someone - who said he felt Teacher's was an amazingly good whisky for the price. I agree.
As far as single malts are concerned, I've enjoyed Laphroaig a few times when I was in the mood for it. But I'd say I enjoyed MacAllen's 24 year old the best.
I tend to think of single malts and blends as entirely different drinks, as separate from each other as they are from Rye or Bourbon.
Has anyone ever started a Canadian whisky thread? There's Canadian Club and Canadian Mist. Any others? Good stuff as well.
BTW, I've noticed a lot of restaurants in New York have been serving Single malts as an after dinner drink, on the same menu as cognac and liqueurs. Anyone use it this way?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo