Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm hooked. I like what I've seen so far. Apparently from what I've read, this premiere episode is the weakest of all that were screened by critics, so that's something to look forward to. The violence definitely had that heart racing Scorcese feel. And the show LOOKS amazing. The opening credits had that distinct "HBO" feel (meh), but at least actual period music was hauntingly used throughout the episode.
Between this show and Mad Men, Sundays are now my favorite night of the week!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I wish I had HBO righ now for this one. The look is fantastic.
boardwalk-empire-lights.jpg

boardwalk-empire-2010-steve-buscemi.jpg

Great cars.
boardwalk-empire-0410.jpg

Boardwalk-Empire-8.jpg

I suppose I'll wait for it to hit channel 101 on Directv or see it on Hulu.

Cheers!

Dan

Jan

One of the Regulars
GREAT first episode. A lot happened, but it was all tied in really well.

Not going to say anything that happened in the show, since I'm guessing a lot of people haven't seen this show yet.

But I enjoy the little details, which make a big impact to the setting and story of this show. If that makes any sense.

High Pockets

Practically Family
What a show! I'm hooked.

And although I can't stand the twisting of history,(i.e Costner's "Untouchables"), the story line, the sets and costumes are going be fun to watch.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I just watched the first episode. Great acting, pacing, costumes, sets . . . it has that authentic feel - not that I was there, but there are period tv shows and movies where you watch and think, 'yeah, right.' This show kept my suspension of disbelief in full swing. Throughout, I was thinking that here's an authentic old time movie in color, somehow, [huh] but better because there most certainly was foul language and bloodshed back then, and thats never shown in genuine old movies. I dont watch much on TV but I'll be watching this.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Steve Buscemi as leading man, who woulda thunk?

I didn't see anything but the trailer, but it looks fabulous. I don't have TV at home, so I'll have to catch it when I'm at someone's house on a Sunday night.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Vintage lover said:
Is there anywhere to see it online now? I missed the premier...:rage:

Ask the nearest teenager to download a copy (which, appropriately, will be bootlegged) that you can watch on your computer or burn to dvd/cdr - just don't ask no questions, see?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I watched the first two episodes of this with a friend yesterday -- and while there were a couple of period/cultural gaffes that caught my eye (although the KKK was indeed very active in the Atlantic City area in the twenties, it never used street-corner recruiters with armbands -- its recruiting was strictly whispered word-of-mouth. And Henry Ford's evil little essay wasn't published in book form until the very end of 1920, and didn't become widely known and widely distributed until a couple years later), in general I thought it was extremely well done. I'm a longtime fan of Kelly MacDonald, who has been outstanding in everything I've seen her do, and I'm hoping this will be a big break for her.

I could do without the usual HBO Gratuitious Nudity, but hey, I'm not their target audience.

The kid who plays Al Capone is hilarious.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Agreed right down the line. Despite all the hype about period accuracy, there's a good deal of creative license in a lot of areas. And yeah, that "we're HBO" overdone nudity and sex does seem pretty gratuitous.

I've also been watching Kelly MacDonald's work with interest for years: she's an outstanding talent. Her scenes with Nucky just crackle.

Some things in it don't quite work, but Buscemi is certainly an inspired choice for the lead - much better than having a conventional leading man. I also like Michael Stuhlbarg's soft spoken, Michael Corleone-ish take on Arnold Rothstein. (Of course, he starred in my favorite film of last year, A Serious Man.)

But I really don't like the opening title music. That is, I like it, but I think it's totally inappropriate and pulls me right out of the period mindset.

And what happened to those iris-in and iris-out shots from the pilot? It was nice to see a clever use of antique film syntax!

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Doctor Strange said:
But I really don't like the opening title music. That is, I like it, but I think it's totally inappropriate and pulls me right out of the period mindset.

And what happened to those iris-in and iris-out shots from the pilot? It was nice to see a clever use of antique film syntax!

I agree, the opening music is too modern for a period show like this. Plus I can't stand seeing those spectators getting soaked in salt water.

I liked the iris in/out too - I guess that was a Scorsese touch.

Right on about the gratuitous sex and nudity too - I was so flustered, I had to back up and watch those scenes three or four times to make sure I hadn't missed an important bit of dialogue...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21