Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

Stormy

A-List Customer
I don't think Richard knew that Masseria's men were called off....I think he was going in there no matter what.

I think that Richard was keeping his eye (no pun intended) on the Artemis Club, watching and laying in wait for an opportunity. Isn't that what an elite, professional (I JUST LOVE RICHARD!) hitman of his calibar might do?

Stormy

A-List Customer
Clearly Nucky was impressed with whomever wiped out all of Rosetti's thugs. We'll just have to wait and see if Richard will find out if it was Nucky that killed Jimmy. Well there ya go, I just predicted next season's finale!;)

Richard already suspects that Nucky killed Jimmy, and Nucky knows this. That's why Nucky asked Richard if The Thompson family were safe, and Richard said that Nucky and Margaret were "... good to me." So, I guess that means they're safe from Richard's wrath .... at least for a little while.

BE needs Gillian, in part because she (as Jimmy previously had) is a reminder of Nucky's "original sin." All of the storylines regarding Nucky's father, his attempts to care for and guide Jimmy, and his parenting of Margaret's kids harken back to this.

Also, as much as I like Richard, I think this season's finale is a nice sendoff and conclusion to his story arc. The fate of his relationship to Julia is left a bit ambiguous, but I get better sense of closure not knowing what could happen next for him than having him casually shot or stabbed to move along a new characters plotline in season 4.

I think you're probably right, especially on the first account, and likely on the second, although I will miss the character if he goes away.

Still, how can we keep Gillian without some reference (at the very least) to Richard Harrow and Julia Sagorsky? It's hard to imagine the writers leaving Gilliian in the story and not have her at least attempt to get Tommy back.

Stormy

A-List Customer
(And apparently, I'm one of the few fans here who still really likes Margaret - despite her not having a decent plot since the first season. I'm still hoping they'll do something interesting with her again.)

AMEN! Margaret is still one of my favorites. With all the wanton Margaret-hatin' going on around here, I was almost afraid to say so. I really like everything about her character. Just as all the other characters on BE, she is neither good nor bad. She is just human, complete with all the flaws thereof. She has her own inner demons to face as we all do. We just don't like to admit it. I really think that if I were in her situation I wouldn't be much different. Besides, if she leaves I would soooooooooo miss seeing her clothes!!!! And I'm waiting to see her kick somebody's a**. I was hoping it would be Billie. I couldn't stand that chick.

Stormy

A-List Customer
Count me in your number, Strange. Margaret is a self-interested character, no doubt, but certainly no more so than the other major characters. If Nucky feels entitled to a younger, more heart-stirring paramour, so does she. So there, Old Man.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the writers make their relationship "work" from this point forward. Illusions gradually fall by the wayside in almost all intimate relationships, some less gradually than others. With Margaret and Enoch, the make-believe is gone for good. Let's see what's left after that.

Very well said, Tony :eusa_clap

Stormy

A-List Customer
All this religious soul searching though leaves me flat. Nucky gave her and her kids, someone elses kids I might add, the best life they'd ever known... You stole from this man, cheated on him and KNEW he'd done murder for you and NOW you get morals? Yeah... right.

Worf

Hmm... Well, the woman did kinda find out that her daughter may have polio. What would you have done in this instance? No doubt, Nucky was a great father to Teddy and Emily, but he is also a ruthless killer during one of the bloodiest and most violent eras in U.S. history. No small feat...

When and what did she steal from him? I must have missed that one. And didn't he cheat on her (a few times) as well? As for the murder thing, perhaps she forgave Nucky for killing Hans. Afterall, Schroeder did kill his own child and nearly killed her as well. BTW: Margaret always had morals. That's what attracted Nucky to her from the jump, Pal.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Hmm... Well, the woman did kinda find out that her daughter may have polio. What would you have done in this instance? No doubt, Nucky was a great father to Teddy and Emily, but he is also a ruthless killer during one of the bloodiest and most violent eras in U.S. history. No small feat...

When and what did she steal from him? I must have missed that one. And didn't he cheat on her (a few times) as well? As for the murder thing, perhaps she forgave Nucky for killing Hans. Afterall, Schroeder did kill his own child and nearly killed her as well. BTW: Margaret always had morals. That's what attracted Nucky to her from the jump, Pal.

Several times this and last season you see "the lady of the manor" shorting the Staff (Christmas money Nucky wanted to give em I believe) and her squirreling it away. I also recall her writing a tally of her stolen loot in a ledger. AND how could you forget she signed millions of Nucks dollars over to the church when she signed over the Highway land deeds without his knowledge or consent. You might say "you can't steal from a thief" but I beg to differ. She stole money from her Family in Ireland to hide her preagnant behind in the first place by hopping the first ship to America. Every place she's been she's lied and stolen and you can't recall her lack of morals?

If I found out my son had a debilitating disease like Polio I personally would NOT do something as simplistic and dare I say hypocritical as to try and bribe god with stolen revenue AND sometimey morals. Yeah I've all of a sudden got religion cept when the hunky bodyguards around and my husband ain't. As far as I'm concerned she's no more morals than an alley cat. AND I'VE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT but drop the pretense please. Why Nucky didn't off her after the land theft is beyond me. But hey she's a fictional character she was/is what the writers want her to be.

Worf

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
BE needs Gillian, in part because she (as Jimmy previously had) is a reminder of Nucky's "original sin." All of the storylines regarding Nucky's father, his attempts to care for and guide Jimmy, and his parenting of Margaret's kids harken back to this.
I agree with this. Now that Nucky realizes he cannot go around glad-handing everyone in town and showing his face all over the boardwalk he will eventually feel isolated. The isolation could force him to try harder to reconcile with Margaret. Anything he tells her is a lie but she may choose to return knowing full well what kind of man he is.
Margaret is one of the better drawn females on this show. The rest are either prostitutes or given a scene or two. Oh, there is the lawyer what's-her-name..

Several times this and last season you see "the lady of the manor" shorting the Staff (Christmas money Nucky wanted to give em I believe) and her squirreling it away. I also recall her writing a tally of her stolen loot in a ledger. AND how could you forget she signed millions of Nucks dollars over to the church when she signed over the Highway land deeds without his knowledge or consent. You might say "you can't steal from a thief" but I beg to differ. She stole money from her Family in Ireland to hide her preagnant behind in the first place by hopping the first ship to America. Every place she's been she's lied and stolen and you can't recall her lack of morals?

If I found out my son had a debilitating disease like Polio I personally would NOT do something as simplistic and dare I say hypocritical as to try and bribe god with stolen revenue AND sometimey morals. Yeah I've all of a sudden got religion cept when the hunky bodyguards around and my husband ain't. As far as I'm concerned she's no more morals than an alley cat. AND I'VE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT but drop the pretense please. Why Nucky didn't off her after the land theft is beyond me. But hey she's a fictional character she was/is what the writers want her to be.

Worf

Iwas going to recount those things you mentioned. You saved me the trouble. I would have offed her myself if she pulled that on me. Good riddance I say:
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/fighting/ass-kicking.gif

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I loved this scene so much, I decided to make it into it's own thingy with music. Not the best, and I know it isn't everyone's type of song (Isn't really mine either), but I thought I would do something for fun... I am on the fence on the show. I love it a lot. Can't wait for the next season!!!!!

[video=youtube;upYDnp0J1W4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upYDnp0J1W4[/video]

Lily Powers

Practically Family

I think Margaret only had the appearance of morality. Her sense of right and wrong - perhaps it's better worded to say her sense of what she could get away with and wrong - seemed to have come from the Big Book of Ethics, written by Margaret Schroeder, edited by Margaret Schroeder, illustrated by Margaret Schroeder and published by Margaret Schroeder. She worked as a maid herself, yet she chiseled the household staff of cash intended for them. She had no qualms about disciplining her maid for flirting with Owen Slater and no qualms about sleeping with him when the mood fit her and pulling rank when the maid casually insinuated to Margaret that she hadn't seen Owen and thought he was with Margaret in her room.

Her seemingly innocent manner began to unravel towards the end of Season 1 - remember when she and Warren Harding's mistress were eating the New Year's cake? There was a ring, a coin, and a rag baked inside it to symbolize marriage, wealth, or poverty in the upcoming year for whoever gets the slice with the trinket symbolizing one of those predictions? Margaret got the poverty trinket and that's when she made up her mind to reconcile with Nucky and do whatever it took so she would have money. By the end of this season I thought maybe she was tired of the arrangement she had with Nucky - she had his money and the perks that came along with it, but put up with his "business" and womanizing - and believed Owen Slater's promise that they would run away together and she could live a more normal life. Interestingly, both seemed happier with a simpler life with other people - Nucky with Billie, and Margaret believing Owen's promise that they'd run away together and go back to Ireland or wherever. I thought she'd be a likeable character, but her corruption and unbalanced manner were just more subtle than others.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Luckily we still have the lovely Hawaii Theater downtown right next to where I work so I get to walk by it every day. However, it no longer plays movies but does comedy acts, some musicals and community theatre shows. Unfortunately I guess the manager and I have different tastes because its rare that I ever see something playing that I actually want to see... perhaps two shows in the past 6-7 years... I did get to see a pretty good Cuban jazz band and Pink Martini there, but most of the time is either local Hawaiian music, stand up comedians, or junior high band recitals...

383000625.jpg

401097596.jpg

img20-300x180.jpg

We've lost most of the other Golden Era theaters for really important development projects...

The Varsity by the University... the last independent/art house theater in on the island...

318414724_9fce3d8945_z.jpg

So it could become...

varsityafter.jpg

Wait for it...

A parking lot! Thank you Kamehameha Schools for your preservation of Hawaii's heritage...

pucksalley.jpg

But surely the beautiful Waikiki Theatre with its blend of art deco, tropical gardens, and fountains would be great for Waikiki tourism?

2001609688_1feef297a3.jpg

WaikikiTheatre7.jpg

Waikiki-2.jpg

Oh I guess not...

but surely in classy Waikiki if the theater had to go it was for an important reason?

WaikikiTheatre3.jpg

Oh Yay! A California Pizza Kitchen and an Atlantis Seafoods with a plastic chef outside!

Oh Hawaii, my home state, how you bother me so... Old theaters ranks up there with used book stores for things that people in Hawaii have decided they can live out.

Last edited:

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When Jimmy met Richard. What an amazing scene. We learn alot about Richard here. We know that he's never been with a woman (JImmy hooks him up later in the episode if I'm not mistaken), and he also lists every gun in his arsenal, which I know some of us were wondering about.
There's some salty language so beware, but so totally worth watching again. You can see why he became so loyal to Jimmy.
[video=youtube;VV8jH-p5my4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV8jH-p5my4[/video]

Last edited:

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I think you're probably right, especially on the first account, and likely on the second, although I will miss the character if he goes away.

Still, how can we keep Gillian without some reference (at the very least) to Richard Harrow and Julia Sagorsky? It's hard to imagine the writers leaving Gilliian in the story and not have her at least attempt to get Tommy back.

Yeah, you're right!

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Byrd Theater - Richmond, VA

Wonderful old movie palace from 1928.

IMG_6692-4.jpg

IMG_6743.jpg

[video=youtube;y3mUzox8KHs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=y3mUzox8KHs[/video]

[video=youtube;y3mUzox8KHs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=y3mUzox8KHs[/video]

Videos recount the theater's history and gives a fascinating look at the 80+ year old Wurlitzer which is still played every weekend.

Last edited:
We've lost most of the other Golden Era theaters for really important development projects...

The Varsity by the University... the last independent/art house theater in on the island...

318414724_9fce3d8945_z.jpg

So it could become...

varsityafter.jpg

Wait for it...

A parking lot! Thank you Kamehameha Schools for your preservation of Hawaii's heritage...

pucksalley.jpg

But surely the beautiful Waikiki Theatre with its blend of art deco, tropical gardens, and fountains would be great for Waikiki tourism?

2001609688_1feef297a3.jpg

WaikikiTheatre7.jpg

Waikiki-2.jpg

Oh I guess not...

but surely in classy Waikiki if the theater had to go it was for an important reason?

WaikikiTheatre3.jpg

Oh Yay! A California Pizza Kitchen and an Atlantis Seafoods with a plastic chef outside!

Oh Hawaii, my home state, how you bother me so... Old theaters ranks up there with used book stores for things that people in Hawaii have decided they can live out.

I sympathize. I'd say that one-third of old Downtown L.A. was replaced by parking lots and three of the largest used book stores in the area; Book Baron (Anaheim), Acres of Books (Long Beach) and Book City (Hollywood), are now history.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
WHAAT??? NO WAY!! Now if you say you had pity for Gyp (even though he was my fav Bad Guy for a minute or 2), I'm comin' to California with Richard's arsenal to "off" you myself.

Well, we ARE experiencing some lovely end of the year weather here, so be sure and bring your warm-weather firearms and a surfboard for a romp in the ocean after the carnage! :D

To clarify, when I wrote that I thought Gyp may have been "touched" by the inscription, I meant that it appeared the inscription brought back some sort of wistful moment for Gyp who grew up poor and whose mother died some years before, maybe when he was a kid - it's not exactly clear. Just an observation, not pity.

The central characters in this little soap opera are all damaged goods -- results of unfortunate circumstances of one sort or another, and poor individual choices, of one sort or another. It's a hallmark of the better bad-guy stories, both fiction and nonfiction, to cast some light on what went into the making of the monster. Think "In Cold Blood," for instance, and its study of the killers, Perry Smith in particular. The best characters are sympathetic, not in the sense that they're likable, but in that they are drawn in such a way that a reader (or viewer) can find something to identify with in that person.

Me, I identify strongly with that poor misunderstood Gyp Rosetti. Why, just the other day, I was sorely tempted to bury my annoying neighbor up to his neck on the beach as the tide was coming in. But then I decided to show some mercy. Still, the guy had a lot of nerve asking me why I bought a new mailbox.

The central characters in this little soap opera are all damaged goods -- results of unfortunate circumstances of one sort or another, and poor individual choices, of one sort or another. It's a hallmark of the better bad-guy stories, both fiction and nonfiction, to cast some light on what went into the making of the monster. Think "In Cold Blood," for instance, and its study of the killers, Perry Smith in particular. The best characters are sympathetic, not in the sense that they're likable, but in that they are drawn in such a way that a reader (or viewer) can find something to identify with in that person.

Me, I identify strongly with that poor misunderstood Gyp Rosetti. Why, just the other day, I was sorely tempted to bury my annoying neighbor up to his neck on the beach as the tide was coming in. But then I decided to show some mercy. Still, the guy had a lot of nerve asking me why I bought a new mailbox.

What?! You have Mrs. Kravitz as a neighbor eh? :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy