Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Balance of terror: Boardwalk Empire ensembles

Though there is a power shift afoot, Nucky still dresses better!

Shall I say more? Or should I go into detail? The question of which one has a creepier lifestyle shall be saved for another thread.

tumblr_meshegMuEp1r91qw7o1_500.png

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Commodore Theater - Portsmouth, VA

The Commodore was built in 1945. It was re-opened in the 1980s as a dinner-and-a-movie first-run house, but much nicer than those airline-tray movie food joints. The chandeliers, murals, and marquee have been restored. I saw Lincoln there last night.

3608098714_0d6c96e8a8.jpg

como2.jpg

Seating in the dining area is cabaret style; there is a traditional balcony if you just want to see the movie and have popcorn and soda.

The murals on either side of the auditorium are original and have been restored.

2.jpg

PostcardsCommodore_Thed464590f-2d3e-4e2d-a91c-90d9d0b264b20000_20120208114722_640_480.JPG

The screen is 41' x 21', sound system is state-of-the-art Dolby Digital, THX certified. I always bump into friends and acquaintances here; you can see a rotten film in this place and still have an enjoyable evening.

ojvtge6q.jpg

Stormy

A-List Customer
When Jimmy met Richard. What an amazing scene. We learn alot about Richard here. We know that he's never been with a woman (JImmy hooks him up later in the episode if I'm not mistaken), and he also lists every gun in his arsenal, which I know some of us were wondering about.
There's some salty language so beware, but so totally worth watching again. You can see why he became so loyal to Jimmy.
[video=youtube;VV8jH-p5my4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV8jH-p5my4[/video]

That is an amazing scene, arguably two of the most dynamic character's in HBO history meeting for the first time. I really like the way Richard passes by Jimmy and then-- without looking back--asks him if he likes reading. When Richard details his arsenal and mentions what he uses his gun for, he's just giving Jimmy a copy of his resume.

Stormy

A-List Customer
Well, we ARE experiencing some lovely end of the year weather here, so be sure and bring your warm-weather firearms and a surfboard for a romp in the ocean after the carnage! :D

To clarify, when I wrote that I thought Gyp may have been "touched" by the inscription, I meant that it appeared the inscription brought back some sort of wistful moment for Gyp who grew up poor and whose mother died some years before, maybe when he was a kid - it's not exactly clear. Just an observation, not pity.

Well, come-to-think-of-it, I had some pitty for that Delassio brother right before Chaulky killed him. Besides, you make Cali sound too D*** romantic to "off" anybody right now. So, I suppose you're off the hook for now Toots! But you bess sleep with one eye opened from now on.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is an amazing scene, arguably two of the most dynamic character's in HBO history meeting for the first time. I really like the way Richard passes by Jimmy and then-- without looking back--asks him if he likes reading. When Richard details his arsenal and mentions what he uses his gun for, he's just giving Jimmy a copy of his resume.

I rewatched that episode yesterday (entitled "Home") and the whole thing is incredible. Jimmy first sees a maskless Richard at the Veteran's Hospital, and then officially meets him in the above scene.
I think every major character got screen time in that episode. The show is very different as compared to season 3, where we could go weeks without seeing some characters.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Anyone else curious as to what happened with Van Alden? He didn't appear at all in the last 2 episodes. I came to this realization when the finale was over that they never explained what he'd been up to, or what his bootlegging plans were.

I'd bet a dollar that Nelson Van Alden/George Mueller will be back. I really doubt we'll ever again see Lucy Danzinger, but I can think of ways she might get written back into the story. I mean, there is that common thread ...

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
I sympathize. I'd say that one-third of old Downtown L.A. was replaced by parking lots and three of the largest used book stores in the area; Book Baron (Anaheim), Acres of Books (Long Beach) and Book City (Hollywood), are now history.
Ahh, the Book Baron and Acres of Books, two of my favorite old haunts. Many a time I lugged a box of treasures home from those places.

Feraud

Bartender
Total withdrawls last night for real.......

ep23darmody.png
Yes indeed! At least I still have my Sunday evening Dexter and Homeland fixes to ease the pain. ;)
I plan on reviewing s3. There is always some missed dialogue or expression to be found on subsequent viewings.

Anyone else curious as to what happened with Van Alden? He didn't appear at all in the last 2 episodes. I came to this realization when the finale was over that they never explained what he'd been up to, or what his bootlegging plans were.
I noticed the lack of Van Alden but assume he will be back and working under the influence of Capone's gang. I believe that was where we last saw him.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I'd bet a dollar that Nelson Van Alden/George Mueller will be back. I really doubt we'll ever again see Lucy Danzinger, but I can think of ways she might get written back into the story. I mean, there is that common thread ...

I don't think Lucy will ever be back - the actress herself was a bit of a handful, resulting in rumors of the reason behind the character's disappearance.

From the Huffington Post last week (sorry if this has already been linked):

After the bloody "Boardwalk Empire" Season 3 finale, series' creator Terrence Winter answered some questions about the episode and previewed where Season 4 is heading.

Winter provided answers to a few semi-open questions about the finale, assuring TVLine that Gillian Darmody survived her heroin overdose and telling EW that Nucky's butler Eddie Kessler survived getting shot in the gut thanks to the rudimentary surgery that Chalky arranged for him.

He said Kelly Macdonald will be returning as Margaret next season, even though she seemed to shoot down Nucky's attempt to reconcile their marriage, according to TVLine.

Winter also looked ahead to Season 4, which will pick up a year after the Season 3 finale in 1924, and dished a few details about the trajectory that Nucky, Capone, Luciano, Lanksy and Van Alden will take. He said Nucky would evolve into a more focused gangster after his feud with Rosetti. "He's much more tightly organized, much more calculating -- a much more shrewd gangster," Winter told TV Guide. Sticking to the pledge he made to Eli that he would keep a tight circle, "Nucky will create his own gang" in the new season," Winter told EW.

In 1924, Al Capone made his big move in Chicago, taking over the town of Cicero, Illinois. Winter teased that Capone's rise will feature prominently in the show's new season, and he told EW that Nelson Van Alden's position between Capone and his rival Dean O'Banion "will play out in a big way." Luciano and Lansky will also be ascendant in the new season, maturing into "the gangsters we now know them to be."

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, the one I posted that was local to me just shut down a couple of weeks ago. Though the sign says closed for renovations, it is, unless an investor comes along, going to close down permanently.
113012_movies2_DNGMA.jpg

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I have to side with Rosetti...I find the costume designers use of cut, fabric, and color for Rosetti more appealing, more like outfits I would actually wear. Not so much so with Nucky.
tumblr_mede8iDY6q1rtulta.jpg
gyp-rosetti-1024.jpg

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
I have to side with Rosetti...I find the costume designers use of cut, fabric, and color for Rosetti more appealing, more like outfits I would actually wear. Not so much so with Nucky.

I found Gyp's OR/Strat clone a bit disconcerting; made me wonder what else was incorrect for the period.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I thought many of the mens hats this season looked a bit wrong for the early twenties. Previously, it had mainly been Van Alden's big thirties-style gray fedora. But this year, many of the hats looked too thirties/forties to me: shouldn't there still be a majority of earlier fedoras (i.e., still evolving from homburgs, with curled bound brims)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass