Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

Anyone ever calculated the average number of homicides per episode?

Murder? We (me included) just can't get enough of it. Leastwise not in fiction.

That sending the body back as a calling card? Now that's some coldblooded action. They've done that twice so far, that I can think of. Maybe more? I dunno. Maybe again? I vote yes. The Irishman in the crate a couple seasons back was a thing of morbid beauty. Maybe even better than the guy with the slit throat and the "Greetings from Havana" postcard stuck to his back with a knife. Keeps me watching.

The dead body as physical message is definitely an attention getter and the attached post card was a piquant, macabre touch. But I don't find it is the murder rate or accumulated bodies that keeps me coming back, it is the multilevel game playing by everyone - the gangsters, the police, the FBI and the politicians - that keeps me watching. That and the beautiful period sets, clothes, cars.

And, Nucky. His philosophical approach, life weariness and inner grit is an incredible combination that has him always thinking three chess moves ahead, more of an observer than actor in his own life and able to survive almost as a single entity in a gangster world where most survivors have, well, large gangs. Nucky thinks his way through gang warfare, political machinations and, even, his love life as a detached observer recognizing and accepting human nature as a constant that he needs to manipulate or move between to survive and thrive. But if necessary - and as seen a few seasons ago - he can respond to the violence of the moment with thought, instinct and ruthlessness to match or exceed any other gangster.

He is one of TV most interesting and most fully developed character.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The dead body as physical message is definitely an attention getter and the attached post card was a piquant, macabre touch. But I don't find it is the murder rate or accumulated bodies that keeps me coming back, it is the multilevel game playing by everyone - the gangsters, the police, the FBI and the politicians - that keeps me watching. That and the beautiful period sets, clothes, cars.

And, Nucky. His philosophical approach, life weariness and inner grit is an incredible combination that has him always thinking three chess moves ahead, more of an observer than actor in his own life and able to survive almost as a single entity in a gangster world where most survivors have, well, large gangs. Nucky thinks his way through gang warfare, political machinations and, even, his love life as an detached observer recognizing and accepting human nature as a constant that he needs to manipulate or move between to survive and thrive. But if necessary - and as seen a few seasons ago - he can respond to the violence of the moment with thought, instinct and ruthlessness to match or exceed any other gangster.

He is one of TV most interesting and most fully developed character.

Well written and quite right on all counts I believe. He is fully developed and well drawn.... even more so than Tony Soprano if you ask me. It has been a pleasure watching Nucky over the years.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well they seem to be tidying up all the story lines... Just Nuck, his brother, nephew, "Insane Jane" and a few ancillary characters to clear up.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Oh Paddy... Big Al has a bigger problem going on well south of his schnozz. This problem will eventually kill him stone, cold dead.... in a decade or so.

Worf

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I've followed the series off and on...about as much as I able to follow any television series. I particularly enjoyed the death scene of Richard Harrow. As he sits huddled under the boardwalk, wounded and alone, his mind travels back to his family home in rural Wisconsin. From his point of view, we see Harrow's kinfolk coming toward him from across the yard. Then, for a fleeting second, we see Harrow's smiling face as he must have appeared before being mangled by the War. The scene finally fades to black with him dead beneath the boardwalk, in gray light of dawn.

It reminded me of the film adaptation of Ambrose Bierce's "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge".

AF

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
qynubuja.jpg

u2ehesyh.jpg

Hats shots from episode 5 The actor playing the young Nucky is perfect casting. Looks just like a young Steve Buscemi

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm not sure what episode I'm at as I get it via Sky in the UK currently. Eli Thompson & Van Alden have just been tasked by the Feds to steal Capone's account books. Plus Eli has just realised he's been having whoopy with Van Alden's wife.

Am I behind ..?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Some screen shots of the dearly missed Sally before her demise. And Al Capone... That crazy guy! Just before he showed one of his soldiers the Empire State Building! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner